Kalkhoff Pro Connect gents. Any real photos would be welcome.

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Here's a photograph of the Pro Connect at work on the cover of the latest A to B. They give the bike a rather good review inside - some excerpts here

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
A to b say the lights are powered by a dynamo (as per photo). Specifications say the lights are powered by the battery. Can somebody with a pro-connect tell us which is right. Makes making a decision between the bikes difficult doesn't it? Not having a dynamo went down as a negative against the pro-connect.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's not just the dynamo, prepare for a shock, that's the Agattu frame on that so called Pro Connect, hence the dynamo, only the forks Pro Connect.

If you don't believe me, look at these side by side photos and compare them with the A to B photo above. Just the gap above the battery that the Pro Connect frame should have says it all.

Someone has some explaining to do methinks.

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Don't you think that is just frame sizing - the Agattu is definitely the 49cm on the 50 cycles website while the the Pro-connect has always looked like the 53cm (or 57cm) version. Anyway I always thought the frames were the same with only the forks and specifications being different - but I stand to be corrected.

PS the dynamo looks different to the one fitted on my Agattu.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It could be, though I think the Agattu needs the crossbar slope to accomodate the sprung seatpost height.

All the Pro Connect photos I've seen, both electric and non-electric versions, have shown a more horizontal crossbar, angling down into the rear A frame. The Agattu ones seem to be the other way, almost a straight line from one to the other. The frames are definitely different though, the Agattu ones having a vertically widened down tube at the top.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
P.S. The frame in the A to B issue shows the Agattu type flattening at the top of the down tube, unlike the tubular Pro Connect frame always illustrated. Perhaps they've rationalised the designs into one frame.

The dynamo leaves a weight query now though.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
You are doing better than me at spotting the difference - I can't see any apart from the different cable run for the rear brake. If it is a mock-up then done very well with decals all changed to show pro-connect. Not convinced of any fishy business yet.....

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
P.S. The frame in the A to B issue shows the Agattu type flattening at the top of the down tube, unlike the tubular Pro Connect frame always illustrated. Perhaps they've rationalised the designs into one frame.

The dynamo leaves a weight query now though.
Yes I don't understand that now as a to b weighed it and say it is 5 kg lighter than the Agattu. Not sure where the weight has come off now it has a dynamo. Front fork and hub gears? I suppose it is all incremental - a little bit from here and there.

ps I am more annoyed that they say that the panasonic motor has had some tweaking in the pro-connect - seems a bit unfair to me.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes I don't understand that now as a to b weighed it and say it is 5 kg lighter than the Agattu. Not sure where the weight has come off now it has a dynamo. Front fork and hub gears? I suppose it is all incremental - a little bit from here and there.

ps I am more annoyed that they say that the panasonic motor has had some tweaking in the pro-connect - seems a bit unfair to me.
I looked at the magazine photo to see the flattening on the down tube, it wasn't clear on the photo above.

I'm not so sure they are right on that tweaking bit. The gearing will be a bit different with the 8 speed hub's higher top and it's 23 tooth rear sprocket, and that together with a weight reduction could account for the slightly higher average speed. That's a subjective thing anyway, just as possibly the rider responding differently to that bike, and I notice the photo had brother Peter Henshaw testing it, not David as usual. Peter is a very powerful cyclist who obtained over 45 miles range on a Torq 1, something very few could achieve.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I looked at the magazine photo to see the flattening on the down tube, it wasn't clear on the photo above.

I'm not so sure they are right on that tweaking bit. The gearing will be a bit different with the 8 speed hub's higher top and it's 23 tooth rear sprocket, and that together with a weight reduction could account for the slightly higher average speed. That's a subjective thing anyway, just as possibly the rider responding differently to that bike, and I notice the photo had brother Peter Henshaw testing it, not David as usual. Peter is a very powerful cyclist who obtained over 45 miles range on a Torq 1, something very few could achieve.
I am not complaining too much - my Agattu seems to be freeing up nicely. Journey home tonight in 35 minutes dead or 40 minutes riding time (allowing for traffic lights etc) over 10 miles. Matches a derestricted torq. Mind you it could be a hefty tail wind.