Kalkhoff Pro-Connect

Burnsey

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2007
Would any of you knowledgeable peeps out there know where I could source a 16 hole rim for the Pro-connect. As some of you 'older' members will remember that the Pro-connect came with 16 spoke wheels originally, so as the rim is wearing on my front wheel I was wondering if anybody had sourced one. I have rang 50cycles and they say that Derby Cycles don't make them any more. So I'm at a loss at the moment, thinking that I might have to buy a new wheel.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Frank

Burnsey

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2007
Hi Frank

I don't know whether this would work, it may look a bit strange though.

Frank

Burnsey

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2007
Hi Overlander

Thanks for your reply.

I might have to go to a new wheel, but as the old one looks quite hi-spec I thought it would be cheaper (if I could find one), to just go for a rim.

Frank

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hi Burnsley,

You will find the wheel will just be a mass produced machine wheel made to look good. That wheel on wiggle should be much better, although not hand made it is hand checked and the hub is pretty good. I have used them before and they really are outstanding value wheels that should last a long time.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
These wheels that Kalkoff used, and with a Nexus gearhub on the rear were made by Shimano but that gearhub shell was discontinued shortly after Kalkhoff adopted them. Hence the spoke numbers change and rim non-availability now.

Burnsey

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2007
Hi Flecc

Thanks for your reply, what would you suggest as a replacement (same spec, quality, etc).

Frank

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not really up to date enough on current wheels to say I'm afraid. The range is vast with prices to over £2000 a pair (!), but if no-one else has a suggestion I'd guess a look at what Shimano currently offer should indicate a likely match in a 32 spoke wheel.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
I'm not really up to date enough on current wheels to say I'm afraid. The range is vast with prices to over £2000 a pair (!), but if no-one else has a suggestion I'd guess a look at what Shimano currently offer should indicate a likely match in a 32 spoke wheel.
But for an e-bike you really do not need to spend a lot, you just need to look for a strong wheel with a good hub. The more expensive the wheel the lighter it is and more fragile it gets. The default hub is shimano with the only real alternative is the hope hub. Remember this is all aimed at e-bikes so lighter is not better, the standard wheel if it is a shimano wheel will just be a basic rim with the standard hub, probably worth about £40. Thats the problem with e-bikes people seem to equate paying over £3K for an electric bike as a good base bike. Unfortunately the base bike is usually pretty poor at the best mid end. So when items wear out the last thing i would do is replace with the same quality as 90% certain it will be crap. Anyway onto suitable e-bike wheels the ones i listed would be ideal and a good jump up from the standard wheels. But the next stage up would be the same rims as the wheels on wiggle Mavic A319 with hope hubs. That combination is used on the thorn touring bikes and have completed round the world trips easily.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hi burnsey,

Forgot to add, you should go for the 36 spoke model as the weight gain is minimal and the strength is excellent on the 36 hole rim. Personally i have used both hope and shimano hubs and to be honest if your not covering high mileages the shimano is good enough.

Burnsey

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2007
Hi Overlander

I have done approx 8,000 miles on this front wheel. I commute daily to work most days weather permitting. So what would be your recommendation?

Thanks again

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hi burnsey, 100% the ones from wiggle, they are the default standard upgrade for all commuter bikes. If you wanted the hope hub you could phone thorn cycles to see if they have any in stock but from memory the hope hub is about £160 more than the shimano. Given that you cover 8000 miles i really do not see that being a problem for the shimano hub so would go with that configuration from wiggle. Unless of course your tyre is less than 28c then you would need to change that as well.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Last edited:

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
I should point out that SJS are a fantastic outfit for touring bikes and they know there stuff. But of interest to this forum they do build wheels for electric bike hubs.

Wheel Build products from SJS Cycles

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Extract from the sheldon brown site.

How Many Spokes?
Up until the early 1980s, virtually all adult bikes had 72 spokes.

32 front/40 rear was the standard for British bikes, 36 front and rear for other countries. The exception was super-fancy special purpose racing wheels, which might have 32 spokes front and rear.

The Great Spoke Scam: In the early '80s a clever marketeer hit upon the idea of using only 32 spokes in wheels for production bikes. Because of the association of 32 spoke wheels with exotic, high-performance bikes, the manufacturers were able to cut corners and save money while presenting it as an "upgrade!" The resulting wheels were noticeably weaker than comparable 36 spoke wheels, but held up well enough for most customers.

Since then, this practice has been carried to an extreme, with 28-, 24-, even 16-spoke wheels being offered, and presented as it they were somehow an "upgrade."

Actually, such wheels normally are not an upgrade in practice. When the spokes are farther apart on the rim, it is necessary to use a heavier rim to compensate, so there isn't usually even a weight benefit from these newer wheels!

This type of wheel requires unusually high spoke tension, since the load is carried by fewer spokes. If a spoke does break, the wheel generally becomes instantly unridable. The hub may break too; see John Allen's article.

If you want highest performance, it is generally best to have more spokes in the rear wheel than the front. For instance, 28/36 is better than 32/32. People very rarely have trouble with front wheels:

Front wheels are symmetrically dished.
Front wheels carry less weight.
Front wheels don't have to deal with torsional loads (unless there's a hub brake).

If you have the same number of spokes front and rear, either the front wheel is heavier than it needs to be, or the rear wheel is weaker than it should be.

Burnsey

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2007
Hi Overlander. I think the Shimano wheel would do the job fine.

Thanks again for all your information it is very much appreciated.

Frank