Kalkhoff Pro-Connect

baboon

Pedelecer
May 16, 2008
Hello all,

Thanks to a job relocation I am no longer going to be cycling to work and therefore can't justify keeping my Pro-Connect. I originally bought it in June 2008 and have used it regularly for my 21-mile round trip to and from work.

As it's only 9 months old, it still has 15 months of Kalkhoff warranty left on it --- not that you're likely to need it, given the legendary reliability of the Panasonic drive system and the quality of the other components used.

The bike is in as-new condition. There are no doubt a few marks on the frame, but I can't find them. The only modification I have carried out is to fit an 18 tooth rear pinion, as recommended in the A to B review (excerpts available at http://www.50cycles.com/pro-connect-electric-bike-review.shtml). This means that assistance is available up to around 19-20mph (technically illegal, but much more practical; and I have the original sprocket if the new owner wants to undo the change). With this modification I tended to complete my 10.5 mile (one way) commute in around 35 minutes --- averaging 18mph, which I would find hard (impossible?) to do on a non-assisted bike (at least, not without arriving at work exhausted and needing a shower). With this bike I arrive at work feeling freshened but by no means tired.

As already noted there are a few notes of the review of the bike featured in A to B magazine on the dealer's website at 50cycles Electric Bikes UK - New Kalkhoff Pro Connect Electric Bicycle review from A to B magazine. They concluded "the Pro Connect is a great machine, and it really is in a class of its own". Those who read the magazine will know that this is high praise, coming from such demanding experts! The fact that this is the first used Pro-Connect I have seen for sale shows how good they really are.

The dealers have been very helpful. The battery I received with the bike was disappointing in terms of range and performance and was replaced, no questions asked, under warranty. I find that after 21 miles the battery is showing one light remaining. I ride mostly using "high power" mode so I guess that (despite the pinion change) the bike would still do almost the ranges that are claimed on the 50cycles website (up to 50 miles on "low power" mode).

If I don't sell the bike here I am planning to put it on eBay. I am open to offers, bearing in mind that the bikes cost £1800 new. If I get a good enough offer I will throw in a pair of Knog rear panniers (a bit like these ---http://www.hollymillcycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b156s78p2533&rs=gb --- but far nicer!) with integral rain covers. I've also fitted some lights to supplement those fitted as standard (these ones --- SMART Polaris 5 White LED Front + Rear 1/2watt LED :: £34.99 :: LIGHTING :: Light Sets :: Hardie Bikes 86c Main Street Cairneyhill Fife Scotland) which I'll also throw in if the offer is good enough.

Hopefully that covers everything. If you have any questions please email.

Thanks,

Peter

Last edited:

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Hello all,

Thanks to a job relocation I am no longer going to be cycling to work and therefore can't justify keeping my Pro-Connect. I originally bought it in June 2008 and have used it regularly for my 21-mile round trip to and from work.

As it's only 9 months old, it still has 15 months of Kalkhoff warranty left on it --- not that you're likely to need it, given the legendary reliability of the Panasonic drive system and the quality of the other components used.

The bike is in as-new condition. There are no doubt a few marks on the frame, but I can't find them. The only modification I have carried out is to fit an 18 tooth rear pinion, as recommended in the A to B review (excerpts available at http://www.50cycles.com/pro-connect-electric-bike-review.shtml). This means that assistance is available up to around 19-20mph (technically illegal, but much more practical; and I have the original sprocket if the new owner wants to undo the change). With this modification I tended to complete my 10.5 mile (one way) commute in around 35 minutes --- averaging 18mph, which I would find hard (impossible?) to do on a non-assisted bike (at least, not without arriving at work exhausted and needing a shower). With this bike I arrive at work feeling freshened but by no means tired.

As already noted there are a few notes of the review of the bike featured in A to B magazine on the dealer's website at 50cycles Electric Bikes UK - New Kalkhoff Pro Connect Electric Bicycle review from A to B magazine. They concluded "the Pro Connect is a great machine, and it really is in a class of its own". Those who read the magazine will know that this is high praise, coming from such demanding experts! The fact that this is the first used Pro-Connect I have seen for sale shows how good they really are.

The dealers have been very helpful. The battery I received with the bike was disappointing in terms of range and performance and was replaced, no questions asked, under warranty. I find that after 21 miles the battery is showing one light remaining. I ride mostly using "high power" mode so I guess that (despite the pinion change) the bike would still do almost the ranges that are claimed on the 50cycles website (up to 50 miles on "low power" mode).

If I don't sell the bike here I am planning to put it on eBay. I am open to offers, bearing in mind that the bikes cost £1800 new. If I get a good enough offer I will throw in a pair of Knog rear panniers (a bit like these ---http://www.hollymillcycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b156s78p2533&rs=gb --- but far nicer!) with integral rain covers. I've also fitted some lights to supplement those fitted as standard (these ones --- SMART Polaris 5 White LED Front + Rear 1/2watt LED :: £34.99 :: LIGHTING :: Light Sets :: Hardie Bikes 86c Main Street Cairneyhill Fife Scotland) which I'll also throw in if the offer is good enough.

Hopefully that covers everything. If you have any questions please email.

Thanks,

Peter
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

in regards to the warranty,does it still carry on to a second owner ?

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi what size type frame is the bike and if you sell on ebay will you post it or is it collect only

jim

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Hello all,

Thanks to a job relocation I am no longer going to be cycling to work and therefore can't justify keeping my Pro-Connect. . . The bike is in as-new condition. . .
Thanks,

Peter
Peter - are you mad? You've already taken the biggest hit - the cost of the bike new; now enjoy it. So you don't need it for work anymore - what about riding it for the sheer pleasure - for shopping errands - and that of keeping fit?

Can't help feeling you're making a mistake.

P.S. Justify? Forget justify. Many forum members, like myself, own several bikes, how do I justify that? (I can't, but so what?)

Last edited:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Peter - are you mad? You've already taken the biggest hit - the cost of the bike new; now enjoy it. So you don't need it for work anymore - what about riding it for the sheer pleasure - for shopping errands - and that of keeping fit?

P.S. Justify? Forget justify. Many forum members, like myself, own several bikes, how do I justify that? (I can't, but so what?)
That's what I thought at first. I'm hopeless at getting rid of stuff and I'd love to add one to my collection. But then the clocks ticking on that battery and I think it makes sense to sell now if it's not going to get much use any more. Great bike with some quality extras - should fetch a fair price.

baboon

Pedelecer
May 16, 2008
Hello all,

in regards to the warranty,does it still carry on to a second owner ?
It is a manufacturer's warranty so I would expect so --- just like on a car. In any case, I would be quite happy for the new owner to return the bike to me, and I can then return it to the distributor to get it fixed. I don't think this would be dishonest, seeing as I've paid for the warranty anyway. In all seriousness, though, I would be amazed if anything went wrong with it. Of course, I would say that...

jac said:
hi what size type frame is the bike and if you sell on ebay will you post it or is it collect only
I knew I'd forgotten something important. The bike is a Large Gents' Frame (57cm). I am 6'2ish and the saddle could go a bit lower or a bit higher.

The bike is located near Basingstoke in Hampshire but I do still have the original box and will happily share the cost of posting. I guess it would cost around £50.

Danny-K said:
Peter - are you mad?
Quite possibly!

You've already taken the biggest hit - the cost of the bike new; now enjoy it. So you don't need it for work anymore - what about riding it for the sheer pleasure
I have 3 children. One is almost 2 and the other two are around 7 months. You think I have time for leisure? :) Besides, I have another (unpowered) bike that I can ride for pleasure, although I admit that I very much prefer the Pro-Connect.

for shopping errands
To be honest I've never felt comfortable leaving it outside a shop, even locked up with the battery removed. In any case, our shops are so local that I could just as easily cycle to them on my £100 rubbish bike!

and that of keeping fit?
Again, I can keep fit on a £100 bike.

I appreciate your kind concern and you may be right, but I think it would an even bigger mistake to keep it "just in case"!

So why not buy another 100 bikes? You may not need them or be able to justify buying them, but so what? :) You see my point --- one has to draw a line somewhere. I'd love to keep it "just in case" but sadly we have no money trees in our garden.

barnowl said:
That's what I thought at first. I'm hopeless at getting rid of stuff and I'd love to add one to my collection. But then the clocks ticking on that battery and I think it makes sense to sell now if it's not going to get much use any more. Great bike with some quality extras - should fetch a fair price.
My thoughts exactly!

Any other questions, please ask --- I can be emailed through this forum somehow, but I'm not sure how! Try clicking my username?

Thanks again,

Peter

Last edited:

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi the bike i ride at the moment has the saddle at 39 inches or 99centimeters from ground to the top of saddle would your saddle go this low

jim

baboon

Pedelecer
May 16, 2008
hi the bike i ride at the moment has the saddle at 39 inches or 99centimeters from ground to the top of saddle would your saddle go this low
Yes; that's almost exactly what it is on at the moment! The lowest the saddle will go is around 88cm from the ground.

Peter

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi thanks for info i can now start bidding if it goes on ebay knowing the bike will fit

jim

joolsp

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 2, 2009
Did it sell?

Did this pro-connect sell on ebay? I have one to sell and wondered whether the hassle /cost of ebay was worth it.

baboon

Pedelecer
May 16, 2008
Yes, it did sell, for around £1350 I seem to remember. To a very nice chap in Germany (so it went home!) who intended to ride it 25 miles to work. That's each way, not round trip! Crazy.

I haven't heard how he's getting on, mind you. Wouldn't be surprised if he lurks on here.

Peter

Corky

Just Joined
Aug 2, 2009