Kalkhoff Proconnet S mini review....

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
A big box containing my Kalkhoff Proconnect S arrived earlier in the week but due to work commitments I've not been able to get out on it, however, today was a lovely bright November day so I took the opportunity. I bought the bike from 50Cycles in their end of year sale, its a 2010 model.

I won't go into every detail as the Panasonic and Proconnect has been reviewed many times before, I will though give my impressions of the bike.

First up, build, as expected is first class, the bike feels 'quality' and there are no rattles but I have to get a rant out of the way.....

I've really no complaints about the spec. BUT, and I hope this is really going to be fixed on the 2011 models... for a £2600 bike (original price) the pedals are absolutely shocking. Really, I mean they are the same or similar to the ones as received on my Alien GSII, a bike that cost me £600 delivered. The supplied pedals are too small and my feet slip of them easily especially when wet, the bearings are 'rough' and they ruin the ride. 50Cycles / Kalkoff take note, its not good enough!

Also, I'll get these out of the way as well, the front mudguard has no mud flap on it, meaning all the muck from the front wheel splatters all over the motor and bottom bracket, a small thing but it would cost peanuts to simply use a front guard with a mud flap to save the mess!

Other small points, there’s no water bottle, OK I can live with that and the control unit seems to only record in Kmh with no way (that I can tell) to switch to MPH.

Everything else though is positive.

Assembly was straight forward, far less to do than when the Alien GSII arrived. All I had to do was charge the battery, fit the pedals, adjust the seat and handle bars and it was ready.

On the road the first impression is just how easy the bike is to ride without assistance, a real joy compared to hub powered bikes, the reduction in drag over hub powered bikes is very very noticeable. The frame feels taught and yet there’s a certain amount of 'give' over bumps that cushions the rider. The front forks are excellent; they almost feel like rigid forks the feed back is very good with a firm yet cushioned feel to them over rough roads. Handling is superb IMHO, there's no feeling of vagueness and the bike responds immediately to changes in direction. I'm sure the front forks and frame geometry are the key things here but also the lower all up weight, at just under 21KG, along with the low centre of gravity must also have an effect.

All the controls work with a silky smoothness, the gears change promptly with positive clicks of the gear selector and the hydraulic V brakes are something else! No squealing, with strong and immediate braking that’s very progressive in feel, excellent!

The Panasonic system is superb, I'm a convert, its been a while since I rode one over any distance and I'd forgotten how natural and 'normal bike' like it is to ride. Driving through the gears means I can dictate the speed I want to ride at and not be dictated to by single or triple speed hub powered bikes. The system is very quiet and unobtrusive but a little unforgiving if you get in the wrong gear or power mode when you hit a hill, some forward planning is needed. Backing off the pedal pressure slightly makes the gear changes smoother if you get caught out. You can feel the power pulse of the Panasonic drive as you cycle, its a little off putting but you get used to it quickly.

The control console is very easy to read but the buttons are a little difficult to operate with gloves on. The saddle seems to work well, I need to adjust it slightly back but no soreness today over a 19mile ride.

OK time for some Pics:

Out of the box waiting for assembly.

Ready to ride.

Console: (trip computer, speed, battery charge, instantaneous power usage)

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
For my test ride I headed out to the Chiltern Hills and covered 19Miles over some very hilly terrain using a mix of Eco and Standard power assist. I used up 3 bars of the 5 on the battery display, the third just going out at 19miles. As a very rough estimate, I think 154Wh 60% where used from the 260 available meaning 8.1Wh per mile and an estimated total range at this rate of 32Miles....that’s OK. The terrain was hilly and I also pushed on a fair bit a speeds so I think 35~36Miles could be reached at a more leisurely pace. Max speed was 28mph and average just under 15mph.

This is Latimer house, used as a secret interrogation centre during and after the war, Rudolph Hess was held there after his capture. Today it’s a hotel and conference centre owned by De Vere and the RAF base at the top of the hill behind it has now gone, however, the Officer housing and estate is still there all bought up years ago, refurbished converted to private housing.

Chapel:

Looking down to where I took the first photo:

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
From here I did a tour of some of the small villages around, there are some lovely looking pubs and I was very tempted to sample the ales in a few! But time was pressing...

Flaunden is home to a Dragon! Well the Green Dragon Pub!

From here I headed to Chipperfield and on the green there are two pubs I think both full with lunch time drinkers, the Two Brewers...

Then out to Bovingdon and the local Cricket ground set in a lovely location over looked by some very fine looking and expensive houses.

Unfortunately, I’d have liked to carry on all afternoon and sample a few beers but I needed to get back so cut my test ride short. I’m looking forward to the summer or even the next sunny day when I have more time on my hands.

Overall the bike is great, pedals aside. Its a real mile eater very easy to ride and I can see it being a a great touring bike especially with next years larger capacity batteries...

Last edited:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
My, that's a fine looking machine!. Those little bar-ends are a nice finishing touch to the handlebars.

I've always found bikes look much better in their natural habitat, and yes, that includes the kitchen. ;)

I'm sure you will have a lot of fun making friends with your new stead.

All the best
Bob

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Thanks for the review. It's always interesting to hear other people's thoughts.
A good suggestion regarding the mud flap.

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
I really enjoyed your review of the 2010 model. From your comments about the hub gears I am glad I opted for the ProConnect S in 2009. I too think a mud flap would be a good idea and don't know why Kalkhoff have not included this as standard. I found the pedal reflectors on 2009 model pedals were not secured very well and the plastic clips break easily!:(
I'm sure you will soon work out how to change the mode from KM/h to MPH.;)
I am still very happy with my ProConnect S.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm sure you will soon work out how to change the mode from KM/h to MPH.;)
I am still very happy with my ProConnect S.
Go on give me a clue! Spoke to 50cycles and was told it can't be done....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On many separate bike computers, the kph/mph setting is the first stage after fitting the battery, since distance/speed is fundamental to all the other readouts they give.

If yours has an internal standby battery, taking that out and after replacing it, pressing any function button present may toggle it to mph.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

Even if the Kmh symbol can't be removed, you could always, "make" it read MPH by adjusting the value of wheel circumference entered into it. Divide the wheel circumference value by 0.62 and enter that into the gizmo.

I've just had a look at your pictures on a computer screen. It's a very nice looking bike.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Ah ha! yes, thanks tillson. Flecc, there's no battery on this unit.....

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009

How about pressing and holding the mode button for 6 seconds and see what happens?

I got an instruction manual for the cycle computer sent with my 2009 Proconnect S. It seems strange that Kalkhoff would choose to install a cycle computer on newer models without the ability to change its settings.:confused:

Maybe it was meant only for the German e-bike market?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Is it me or is the geometry of this bike a bit odd...the angles look a bit peculiar to me. The 2011 bikes by contrast look much more normal:confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is it me or is the geometry of this bike a bit odd...the angles look a bit peculiar to me. The 2011 bikes by contrast look much more normal:confused:
It does look as though the crossbar on this one slopes more, a straighter run into the rear frame upper tubes.

The current 50cycles site photos appear to show the crossbar a bit more horizontal, but the difference looks small.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
It does look as though the crossbar on this one slopes more, a straighter run into the rear frame upper tubes.

The current 50cycles site photos appear to show the crossbar a bit more horizontal, but the difference looks small.
This 2011 PC S looks OK in comparison? To my eyes anyway the back wheel looks odd with the frame in 2010

The sahel is fine......

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Maybe because mine is a medium frame, 50cm not the 55....

DP, tried that but no go, setting the circumference to 1370 has the readout in MPH now, the Kmh marking on the display is there when the power is off so it must be a screen mask along with the lines and battery remaining box. Have to say this is also a small negative, my cheap cycle computers from Halfords have the ability to be changed so I would have expected this one to do it as well....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
my cheap cycle computers from Halfords have the ability to be changed so I would have expected this one to do it as well....
I have the impression that back in 2007, Derby Cycles had no idea of just how popular these Panasonic powered bikes would be. They certainly had no plans on marketing in the USA originally. That, together with the S models only being legal in Germany and Switzerland would mean only kph was necessary

Of course the Kalkhoff Panasonic bikes did take off in a big way, and following that the much more recent decision was taken to open a branch in the USA. You may remember that 50cycles used to pick up the odd US requirement originally by individual export from Loughborough.

P.S. In the USA, one of the unpowered Kalkhoff models is called the Aurora! Could upset Alien if that name gets onto an e-version like the Agattu and Pro-Connect names did.

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
:D yes indeed, that's interesting Flecc, thanks for the background info.

deadmonkey

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2010
GL12
Great review NRG.

I purchased the same model during the last month based (in part at least) on information from these forums.

I'm clearly a less experienced cyclist than you, which luckily for me means I've not perceived any of the downsides which you have; my feet haven't slipped off the pedals, I've not missed a bottle holder and I've been happy with the speedo and odometer working in kilometres.

In short everything as worked out very well. It's unfortunate that I've started at the darkest and chilliest time of year, but my ten mile each-way jaunt has been ok and I'm under no illusion whatsoever that I couldn't do it without an assisted bike :)

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London

You can change the speed readout of course, but the kmh symbol is printed on the LCS display. However, you can change the wheel diameter in the following way:

1. Hold down the Mode and Boost buttons together for 3 seconds. The value 1973 will flash in the display - this is the factory setting for wheel circumference in millimetres.

2. If you need to enter a larger wheel circumference, press the Mode button. For a smaller wheel circumference, press the Boost button.

Each time you press a button the wheel circumference will change by 1mm.

3. Once you've reached the desired value, confirm the setting by pressing the button marked with the headlamp symbol.

You can input any value between 10mm and 3999mm. Thanks NRG, 1370 is the value to aim for. Thank you also for your informative and gloriously illustrated review! It's a magnificent bike - even the 2009 version I ride. I will pass on feedback about the pedals and mudflap.

Numbers are dwindling at the new price in the middle sizes of the Pro Connect S, same for the Sahel Pro Disc which is down to low single figures now

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Thanks Tim, I set it over the weekend. Completed a 28mile ride, absolute blast! Except for when my auxiliary front light I use ran out on me down a pitch black lane last night :eek: I was going at quite a lick but luckily the standard light is pretty good and saved me from an embarrassing encounter with a hedge :eek:

Those pedals would be OK if they where 110 or better 115mm versions. 100mm ones are for girls! ;)