Kalkoff Nuvinci 360 on Impulse Ergo Drive selection fault

petitfilou

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 6, 2013
Stafford
Can anyone help me with a problem in selection of manual/auto selection The display no longer fully operates .and does not properly illuminate or alternate showing orange /blue symbols

mcd

Jun 5, 2014
Elgin
Is the connection secure at the rear wheel where the cable and hub connect? There's a sleeve around the connector that has to be pulled back to disconnect\reconnect. Right by that connection is an indicator light that should flicker red and green when pedaling. With your left hand lean the bike into the kick stand on the other side of the bike to get the rear wheel off the ground then pedal with your right. There's a faint LED that should light up.

petitfilou

Nov 6, 2013
Stafford
Thank you for your response,I have tried the suggestion but the outcome after removing the plug and securely reconnecting the plug still has not altered the situation.The single bike shown in the display alternates between orange and blue symbol rather than the automatic single colour bike which ran through the scale on start up dependant on selection of mode.

mcd

Jun 5, 2014
Elgin
I once had an issue where the selector button would become stuck down when pressed because it rubbed against the inside of the hand controller case. Fortunately I still have a picture I took when I was emailing Nuvinci support. I was able to open it up and spray a small amount of silicon lubricant where the two met and the button stopped getting stuck. The point of contact is between the aqua green piece and the inside of the outer gray casing, on the side by the hand grip. That aqua green piece is just an extension of the button on the top of the controller and the blue under it is the actual switch that changes the mode when pressed. Another symptom of this being the problem is your Harmony keeps going into it's learning mode, because that's triggered by holding down the selector button. When working properly the button on the top of the controller should be raised up and not flat or sunk into the controller casing, and there should be a definite tactile click when the button is pressed.

https://s24.postimg.org/oq6grl1z9/IMG_20140304_175759.jpg

Last edited:

petitfilou

Nov 6, 2013
Stafford
You are certainly going beyond the call of duty for which I thank you .
The operating chrome selector is heard to click so I think the switch is operating.I followed your advice re holding the bike on the stand and rotating the wheel .The indicator alternates from orange to blue whilst the wheel is turning,this happens twice when the wheel is moved .Is it possible to reboot easily I e mailed 50 cycles over the holiday but am not holding my breath .Would you advise that Icontact Nu vinci .

Thanks again
Peter

mcd

Jun 5, 2014
Elgin
Nuvinci support was very helpful, and was going to ship me a new hand controller, which gave me the nerve to open it up and take a look at what might be wrong. Having looked inside there, I don't remember seeing any quick way to disconnect a bad controller and swap in a new one without soldering, so I was glad silicon fixed my problem.

I'm not sure what your were describing seeing for the indicator, or even which indicator, whether at the front handlebar or at the rear wheel, or if that means something is out of whack. On mine just spinning the rear wheel without pedaling makes the LED on the hub flicker red only. When I move the rear wheel using the pedals, the light alternates between red and green, with green meaning I think that it senses the chain moving or tension on the chain. The flickering between red and green is rapid too and not just twice. If you mean the front indicator by the switch is going back and forth between orange and blue then I don't think I've ever seen that.

As for resetting the Harmony, that does happen when you upgrade the firmware, if you want to try it. On the bottom of the hub there's a rubber cover over a USB connection that you use to connect to a PC that has their software installed. You can get the software with firmware here: http://harmony.fallbrooktech.net/ You might want to write down what the settings are before you upgrade, although there aren't that many. The main ones to note are the number of teeth on the front and rear sprockets. I believe my Harmony's performance improved after applying a newer firmware than the one it came with.

Advertisers