Keen cyclist looking for a shower-free commute

Touquet2k

Just Joined
Sep 11, 2018
Hi everyone,

I live in Surrey, 39, looking to get an ebike for my commute to work in central London rather than getting a train to keep fit and save on the extortionate train fares! Tried an ebike last weekend at Halfords, loved it, and getting slightly obsessed...

Hoping that the ebike commute can be done in about an hour (15 miles one way), and allow me to arrive without needing a shower, but not sure how to answer those questions without getting the bike, at the moment.

Been looking at the Cube Acid Hybrid One 500, but realise that there are a ton of options out there.

Well, that’s me! Looking forward to finding out more on the forum

Last edited:

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome

15mph is very doable depending on choice of bike and your fitness and of course geographic challenges (hills)

Touquet2k

Just Joined
Sep 11, 2018
Hi welcome

15mph is very doable depending on choice of bike and your fitness and of course geographic challenges (hills)
Thanks, that’s reassuring. It’ll be into central London, so should be fairly flat most of the way. Just got to avoid all the bad drivers out there with cyclists in their sights...

Reactions: Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
From experience it shouldn’t be a problem at all
Happy hunting for the steed

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Hi everyone,

I live in Surrey, 39, looking to get an ebike for my commute to work in central London rather than getting a train to keep fit and save on the extortionate train fares! Tried an ebike last weekend at Halfords, loved it, and getting slightly obsessed...

Hoping that the ebike commute can be done in about an hour (15 miles one way), and allow me to arrive without needing a shower, but not sure how to answer those questions without getting the bike, at the moment.

Been looking at the Cube Acid Hybrid One 500, but realise that there are a ton of options out there.

If I had to choose for your distance I’d go for one of these bad boys.

You may even get them cheaper as well.

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Gocycle-GS-Electric-Bike?gclid=Cj0KCQjwz93cBRCrARIsAEFbWsg5d0kTXbBLevCD-ziCJcGhP9zkrI_eY-mvkXflBHUBcYHSLE2P1_EaAhYiEALw_wcB

An utter design classic.

Reactions: Thearcher12

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
For 15 miles each way on road I would go for a rear hub motor instead of a crank drive, something lightweight looking like the Woosh Karoo but with full mudguards for commuting.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?karoo

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
I'm curious why people think that a hub motor would naturally be better than a crank motor for a 15-mile commute. My good friend is looking to switch from hub to crank for such a trip...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
beside the quality of the normal bike, hub motors are cheaper to buy and run, less demanding on maintenance and being placed higher than crank drive motors, less exposed to rain water. Hub motors do not stress the chain and gears.
Those are important considerations for a cheap and reliable transport.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and Fingers

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I'm curious why people think that a hub motor would naturally be better than a crank motor for a 15-mile commute. My good friend is looking to switch from hub to crank for such a trip...
End up changing gears a lot more with a crank. Never used to really buy this argument until long term commuting testing by me. Hubs deffo are more forgiving than my crank drives (a bbss02b and a GSM from woosh)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
End up changing gears a lot more with a crank. Never used to really buy this argument until long term commuting testing by me. Hubs deffo are more forgiving than my crank drives (a bbss02b and a GSM from woosh)
Really? I operate on about 4 gears on my crank-driven bike, whether going uphill or down. I certainly would see gear-changing as an issue

• Agree
Reactions: falmouthtony

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Don’t know what I can say . It’s just my experience with a gsm and rear 10 cassette ,a bafang front hub and 8 speed rear and a bafang crank with 8 speed hub , finally a MXUS rear hub with 9 speed cassette

Well over 1000 commuting miles in each config.

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Don’t know what I can say . It’s just my experience with a gsm and rear 10 cassette ,a bafang front hub and 8 speed rear and a bafang crank with 8 speed hub , finally a MXUS rear hub with 9 speed cassette

Well over 1000 commuting miles in each config.

Hi. Not disputing your experiences at all! I guess it just highlights that there are differences between brands, in terms of how they behave and what a new adopter can expect...

Ashley750

Pedelecer
May 12, 2018
Kenilworth
Hi everyone,

I converted my MTB with a Woosh rear hub kit, as I wanted to cycle to work but not have to shower on arrival. My commute is 7 miles / 30 mins, and on arrival a quick spray of deodorant does the job. Nobody in the office has complained yet!!

Touquet2k

Just Joined
Sep 11, 2018
DDB38294-58EC-4BBA-BE2B-81FDDA839272.jpeg Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks to you all for the advice - ended getting the Cube, and last week managed a couple of commutes into work on it. Really good fun, and able to do with a just a quick freshen up in arrival. Legs felt it a couple days afterwards, but I’m sure I’ll be on top form in no time!

15.5mph limit is a little restrictive (some flat and downhill stretches I’m under my own power up to about 20/21mph), but at least it gives me a chance to get a bit of a work out too!

Happy with the purchase and it’s already paying for itself on saved commuting costs.

Mark

Stradaman

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2018
North West
View attachment 26982 Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks to you all for the advice - ended getting the Cube, and last week managed a couple of commutes into work on it. Really good fun, and able to do with a just a quick freshen up in arrival. Legs felt it a couple days afterwards, but I’m sure I’ll be on top form in no time!

15.5mph limit is a little restrictive (some flat and downhill stretches I’m under my own power up to about 20/21mph), but at least it gives me a chance to get a bit of a work out too!

Happy with the purchase and it’s already paying for itself on saved commuting costs.

Mark
Great choice mate, enjoy it