Keyde discussion thread

Khumarahn

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
Hi everyone.

I am new here, and have zero experience in electric bikes. I would like to install keyde motor on front wheel of my road bike to help a bit with everyday commute.

Are there any happy/unhappy owners of their kits? How often do they break, do they need any service? Were there any problems in installation?

Would be great to hear from people who actually use keyde...

D

Deleted member 4366

We had one on test. The pedal sensor gave power after about half a rotation, but after a couple of hours use, it changed to about five rotations, which made it pretty bad. Then after a bit more use, the motor jammed completely, so it went back to Keyde. It was a rear motor and was given some pretty hard pedalling. A front one might be better.

Khumarahn

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
And are there any alternatives? I mean, kits of the same price and function, easily installable on front wheels of road bikes with drop handlebars? And quiet?

D

Deleted member 4366

Depending on the width of your forks, there's the Q75 and Q85 from BMSBattery or maybe the Q100 or q100H. Some of those can be had from Greenbike kit as well under different designations, In the UK, all the front motors are 100mm wide. The Oxydrive probably has the best speed. It can be de-restricted to go over 20mph.

You could have a word with Conv-E as well. they might be able to tailor something to your needs.

If you don't mind losing your front derailleur, A Bafang BBS01 crank drive has a good speed range, is easy to fit,and is generally well thought out.

Khumarahn

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
Thanks for the useful info. My fork is 100mm wide... Can Q75 or Q85 be installed without special brakes and throttle, with only pedaling sensor, like keyde?

D

Deleted member 4366

The Q75 is small and lightweight, The Q100 is a bit heavier and more powerful. They come in 201 rpm (18mph) and 328 rpm (26mph). The 328 rpm should only be used above 15mph, so isn't really suitable for hill-climbing, but very good if you just want high-speed assist. The Q100H is good for about 22mph, so might be the best choice.

Khumarahn

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
My target speed is around 15-20mph.

Is there a way to install say Q100H like keyde motors - i.e. with a small assist control on a steering bar and a pedal sensor on the bb, without brake controls? Is Q128 any better than Q100H?

D

Deleted member 4366

The Q128 is bigger, more powerful and heavier than the Q100. to get the power and go as far, you need a heavier battery, so you get hit on the weight twice, I think light-weight is the way to go on a road bike.

If you get the S06S controller or the KU65, you get a small panel that goes on the handlebars where you can adjust the levels of assist. If you're worried about having to fit ebrakes, you don't have to. Instead, you can fit inline sensors that go on the cables:
http://www.bmsbattery.com/accessory/459-hwbs-hidden-wire-brake-sensor.html

The system will work without brake sensors, but I wouldn't recommend running like that.