Kickstand

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Can anyone recommend a good kickstand that can take the weight of my new eMTB?? There are 2 little holes in the frame between the crank motor and the rear wheel so it's a different attachment to what I'd fit to my kids' bikes!

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
There are plenty available on line, so I just went into a bike shop and asked the question. I could have one off of the shelf or order a Giant specific one which looked exactly the same, so bought one off of the shelf. I had read on line of differences in bolt/thread size so asked them to fit it for me whilst I waited, and the bolts were indeed the wrong size for my frame but easily sorted in a bike shop!.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Thanks for the suggestion Gubbins. On a different note, I have bought some pedals to replace the crappy ones my new bike came with, only to discover that I need a torque wrench to fit them! do I really?? Until I can get them fitted, I am sadly missing having chunks of flesh ripped from my shins every ride ;)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have a torque wrench but must confess to never using it and would be surprised if more than a few use one for pedals.
I have used several pedals on my emtb and just tighten up with an Allen key like i would any other nut or bolt, and check after a couple of rides in case they come loose.
I have ended up using these grippy ones which I find excellent.
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Nukeproof-Neutron-Evo-Pedals_76752.htm?sku=243802&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&mkwid=sWI2CGwtl_dm|pcrid|44565154373|product|243802|&pgrid=13402205693&ptaid=aud-264756372667:pla-80837971613&gclid=CjwKCAjwoMPcBRAWEiwAiAqZh3merUtq4NKaQPMbMIoNtsnmWjsiJoYacJi7d1cGX5MEeKiJLX_5dBoCh5MQAvD_BwE

• Useful
Reactions: Nefarious

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
I have a torque wrench but must confess to never using it and would be surprised if more than a few use one for pedals.
I have used several pedals on my emtb and just tighten up with an Allen key like i would any other nut or bolt, and check after a couple of rides in case they come loose.
I have ended up using these grippy ones which I find excellent.
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Nukeproof-Neutron-Evo-Pedals_76752.htm?sku=243802&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&mkwid=sWI2CGwtl_dm|pcrid|44565154373|product|243802|&pgrid=13402205693&ptaid=aud-264756372667:pla-80837971613&gclid=CjwKCAjwoMPcBRAWEiwAiAqZh3merUtq4NKaQPMbMIoNtsnmWjsiJoYacJi7d1cGX5MEeKiJLX_5dBoCh5MQAvD_BwE
Ah ok - I will have a go then!
That's pretty much exactly what I have bought! ... in black. I have the same on my gravel bike already and love them so it's an easy choice

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Can anyone recommend a good kickstand that can take the weight of my new eMTB?? There are 2 little holes in the frame between the crank motor and the rear wheel so it's a different attachment to what I'd fit to my kids' bikes!
I got a neat one fitted by Halfords to my Crossfuse but whilst researching them I noticed that lots of them had weight limits for the bike associated with them. I can't see the logic in this. If it was a centre stand I could understand it - sort of, but there is so little weight acting through the kickstand in normal operation that a piece of balsa wood would probably hold the bike up perfectly well. Surely?
Mike

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I got a neat one fitted by Halfords to my Crossfuse but whilst researching them I noticed that lots of them had weight limits for the bike associated with them. I can't see the logic in this. If it was a centre stand I could understand it - sort of, but there is so little weight acting through the kickstand in normal operation that a piece of balsa wood would probably hold the bike up perfectly well. Surely?
Mike
Perhaps it's where the weight is. With the stand being at the end of the chainset a lot of weight further forward may tip the bike over...

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Mike
Yes I'd have thought so too. I've ordered a Cube one from my local shop. So we will see how that goes

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
It's not really "cool" to have a kick stand and is likely viewed as being as unnecessary as mudguards, but I find mine especially useful and wish my emtb had the mounting points to fit one.
Definitely agree - when you want to lock the door, shut the gate, etc, eMTBs are quite cumbersome and you don't want them falling in a heap so seems like a very worthwhile investment to me!

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
It's not really "cool" to have a kick stand and is likely viewed as being as unnecessary as mudguards, but I find mine especially useful and wish my emtb had the mounting points to fit one.
I think it’s more a case of “just another thing to clean”
If you use your bike mainly for commuting etc I can see the advantages but when the bike is used for trail centres and general off road use I can’t
As it’s just a pain in general.

• Informative

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
If you use your bike mainly for commuting etc I can see the advantages but when the bike is used for trail centres and general off road use I can’t
Stand by for ANGUISH!! I have a power washer for cleaning my bike!!

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
It's for off road use that I use my kickstand the most. when you have to dismount to close a million bridle gates where do you put the bike? Some you can slam shut behind you but others need a return trip and don't get me started on the large five bar gates. Sods law also states that the gate will always open towards you.

• :D

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just to chew the cud.. in what way is it a pain?

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Just to chew the cud.. in what way is it a pain?
If you ride your bike off road like trail centres with jumps , table tops and berms etc the last thing you want is a spear sticking out the back of your frame if you have an off
There’s also as I said another item to clean around and also a potential rattle
I personally go for a minimal amount of accessories and it’s certainly something I have no need for
If I need to put my bike upright there’s always something too put the pedals on or there’s alway the floor :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

the cable going down the head set is the front brake cable so he can spin the bars ;)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
If you ride your bike off road like trail centres with jumps , table tops and berms etc the last thing you want is a spear sticking out the back of your frame if you have an off
There’s also as I said another item to clean around and also a potential rattle
I personally go for a minimal amount of accessories and it’s certainly something I have no need for
If I need to put my bike upright there’s always something too put the pedals on or there’s alway the floor :)
Points taken. The only jumps I do are when cars pas too close.. and I am not allowed it in the house, so I dare not even ask about the table...

• :D
Reactions: Fat Rat

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Its only 2weeks with new kickstand on my commuter. No living without it now, just so convenient especially when loading panniers. Next on shopping list is fixed wired head light. We have couple battery ones in house hold that move around a few bikes, but I can never find one in hurry.

Reactions: MikeS

Related Articles

Advertisers