'Killer' Armadillo cycle path dividers

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
No problem for 4 x4's, aren't they the villains to cyclists?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They look very dangerous, I can't see how they can help with anyone's safety, least of all cyclists who under some circumstances might hit them.

Reactions: john h and D C
D

Deleted member 4366

I'm a long time motorcyclist. It looks like a total over-reaction to me. They're just upset because they can't use the cycle lane to undertake all the cars. What would they be doing riding that close to the edge of the road? Why can't they drive down the cross-hatched area like normal motorcyclists do? Lembit Opik leading the parade just about sums it up.

D

Deleted member 4366

They look very dangerous, I can't see how they can help with anyone's safety, least of all cyclists who under some circumstances might hit them.
Jeeze, Flecc. A cyclist could just as easily hit a curb or brick wall in some circumstances. The idea is to look where you're going. Those things aren't exactly camouflaged are they? They're a lot safer than being hit by a motorcyclist or car that strays into the cycle lane. Have a look on Youtube at any of the videos about cycling in those side-of-the-road cycle lanes and you'll see vehicles straying into them every 10 seconds, totally disregarding the rights of cyclists.

Reactions: jonathan75

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Jeeze, Flecc. A cyclist could just as easily hit a curb or brick wall in some circumstances.
They are more dangerous than that though, and I don't like the way they take up cyclepath width. In London commuting cyclists are overtaking slower ones all the time. With these cyclists have to conform to the slowest one or they make a potentially dangerous overtake in that confined width. The slightest nudge in passing someone within that width and one hits the obstructions.

Another common problem in London is the pedestrians suddenly stepping off the kerb ege without looking, even to pass others on crowded pavements. These obstructions leave no swerve room.

You might find them acceptable in Sleepy Valley, but here, no way.

Advertisers