King Meter 790 LED display

Dawes700

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 7, 2015
In the last 10 days I've lost power 3 times. Having checked for loose/bad connections - couldn't find anything, I think the fault is the King Meter itself. It can't be switched back on unless I press and hold the ON/OFF button for about 5 secs. Before a simple press was all it needed. Logic says it'll go wrong permanently one of these days so buy a new one now.
They're easily obtainable from Alibaba, Aliexpress,etc , but in wholesale packs of 50's etc.
  • Question, Anyone else had this problem but sorted it out?
  • Question, Anyone know a stockist preferably UK where I can get a new one without exorbitant shipping costs.
  • Question, Is there another make that performs the same function and is readily available? Mine is one of the earlier ones before a light button was incorporated. RIGHT CLICK HERE
  • Thanks in advance - hopefully!
Dawes 700.

D

Deleted member 4366

If you have a throttle, there's a better solution: Chuck the meter and bridge the red and blue wires from controller, or out a switch between them to switch the bike on/off if you don't have a battery switch.

that way, you get PAS level one, which can be over-ridden by the throttle, which will work normally.

You can buy the display from many vendors on Aliexpress. I found this one in less than a minute:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/LED-DISPLAY-MANUAL-control-panel-for-electric-bike-scooter-conversion-parts-lithium-battery-bike-instrument-intelligent/2802219_32797999718.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.669839ceO2DQLr

Dawes700

Mar 7, 2015
If you have a throttle, there's a better solution: Chuck the meter and bridge the red and blue wires from controller, or out a switch between them to switch the bike on/off if you don't have a battery switch.

that way, you get PAS level one, which can be over-ridden by the throttle, which will work normally.

You can buy the display from many vendors on Aliexpress. I found this one in less than a minute:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/LED-DISPLAY-MANUAL-control-panel-for-electric-bike-scooter-conversion-parts-lithium-battery-bike-instrument-intelligent/2802219_32797999718.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.669839ceO2DQLr

Dawes700

Mar 7, 2015
d8veh,
Thanks for rapid response. Have I got this right?
If I simply connect the red and blue that used to go to the meter, then when I switch the battery on, (it's key operated,) nothing will happen until I operated the throttle, with then acts as an accelerator does on an automatic car.
If I've got the wrong end of the stick (I'm not much of a technician) then I do understand about putting red and blue through an ON/OFF switch.
Thanks again,
Dawes 700

D

Deleted member 4366

However your throttle works now, will be the same as it was before. The only difference will be that the PAS will be stuck in level one.

Those displays have 4 wires. The colours aren't always the same. Some have a single 4-wire connector and some have two 2-wire ones. rarely, they have the round moulded connector.

The panel works independently from the controller. It has three functions:
  • It works as a switch to power the controller
  • It shows the battery voltage
  • It sends a control signal to the controller
Assuming a normal 4-wire single connector one, the red is battery voltage and the black is ground. When you press the switch, it latches the red to the blue wire, which then carries the battery voltage to the controller to power it. When switched on, the green wire has 1v on level 1, 2v on level 2, 3v on level 3 and 4v if you press the optional 6km/h button. If there's no signal on that wire, the controller will default to level 1.

Dawes700

Mar 7, 2015
Decided to abandon sophistication, just bridged red and blue. Works a treat!
Thanks again.

Advertisers