Kit now on Trek 4300

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I've now transferred my kit to a third bike, my newly acquired Trek 4300.
It started off on my old Raleigh winter bike which was OK but only 21 gears, not enough around these parts if you like to pedal as much as possible.
Then I fitted it to my Schwinn Rocket 88 which with 27 gears and brilliant rear suspension was great, that is until the seat tube started to crack from the weight of the battery on a rack attached to the seatpost.
I noticed it just in time and refitted the kit back to the Raleigh till I got around to buying a more suitable bike.
I have disc brakes for the first time which are brilliant now I've worked out how to prevent them screeching. The kit has fitted really well to the Trek or maybe I'm just getting better at it and the ride is great though I've ordered a Suntour suspension seatpost as using the bike almost entirely off tarmac I really miss the rear suspension.
I upgraded to a 203mm front rotor, something I expected to have to do thanks to a bit of advice from Ray74 and this gives the brake calliper plenty of clearance for the hub motor which wouldn't fit with the stock 160mm rotor, I doubt whether a 180mm would give enough clearance.
The 6 rotor screws that came with the bike are slightly long so I used the shorter ones that came attached to the motor.
I'm still happy with just a thumb throttle which suits the way I ride but the Trek has a square bottom bracket shaft so should be easy to fit the sensor for a pedelec system should I need to do that in the future.
My Schwinn is now demoted/promoted to winter bike so will be sporting spikes in a couple of months (just hope I won't be sporting a plaster cast soon after) and the old Raleigh is now a reserve for visitors or friends, I'll probably give it away locally in due course though it's hard to part with such a faithful old bike which has never failed me.

Attachments

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
That's a good looking bike d c, glad that my advice helped with the hub/caliper rubbing. I'm sure you'll have many miles of fun on your new bike :D

D

Deleted member 4366

The people that make those rack batteries go for looks rather than function. If it were my bike, I'd shorten the front struts to rotate it round until it nearly touches the frame. Moving tje weight 4" forward will make the handling of the bike much better.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
The people that make those rack batteries go for looks rather than function. If it were my bike, I'd shorten the front struts to rotate it round until it nearly touches the frame. Moving tje weight 4" forward will make the handling of the bike much better.
You must be a mind reader as it's on my "to do" list.
I need to make new struts, the ones that are on are straight and as the rack will arc round when it moves forward would need a substantial bend to get the rack nearer the seat tube.
As you say it will improve the balance of the bike.
Meantime I've fitted a Suntour suspension post
SR SUNTOUR Cycling
which improves the ride tremendously.
I'm also more interested in function then style and to me, if it works better it looks better.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
You must be a mind reader as it's on my "to do" list.
I need to make new struts, the ones that are on are straight and as the rack will arc round when it moves forward would need a substantial bend to get the rack nearer the seat tube.
As you say it will improve the balance of the bike.
Meantime I've fitted a Suntour suspension post
SR SUNTOUR Cycling
which improves the ride tremendously.
I'm also more interested in function then style and to me, if it works better it looks better.
A good idea so long as you don't intend using pannier bags - any further forward and your heels would foul them as you pedal. I've wondered about placing the battery and controller in the frame triangle, but it's not worth it whilst my kit is on a hybrid.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
1-DSCF1358.jpg
Decided I'd better do it before it became one of those jobs I don't get round to doing.
I don't use panniers so no problem there.
Been for a 12 mile ride and bike does handle a bit better, probably would be more noticeable if I was a lighter weight myself.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
View attachment 7053
Decided I'd better do it before it became one of those jobs I don't get round to doing.
I don't use panniers so no problem there.
Been for a 12 mile ride and bike does handle a bit better, probably would be more noticeable if I was a lighter weight myself.
Be a sport and post a picture of the whole rack please Dave:)

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Of course:)2-DSCF1356.jpg1-DSCF1359.jpg

Also visible is the Suntour suspension post.
Its a Brooks B17 saddle and the saddle rails needed spreading slightly to make a wide enough space for the linkage to operate, it might just be mine but anyone fitting to a Brooks needs to check this as it's not immediately apparent that it will damage the linkage.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Of course:)View attachment 7057View attachment 7056

Also visible is the Suntour suspension post.
Its a Brooks B17 saddle and the saddle rails needed spreading slightly to make a wide enough space for the linkage to operate, it might just be mine but anyone fitting to a Brooks needs to check this as it's not immediately apparent that it will damage the linkage.
So you have just rotated it forwards, rather than modify the struts?

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
The rack struts are too long to take further forward as they would foul the seat stays and not leave clearance for the mudguard unless the rack was raised almost back to the original position.
The slope doesn't bother me and in fact makes battery removal a lot easier.
I've now added bracing struts to the seat stays as there is an awful lot of weight carried by the two small mounting bolts.
If I'd originally known the kit was going on this bike I would have chosen the bottle battery which would perhaps have been a better option

Attachments