KT controller - throttle is stronger than PAS ?

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Hi folks, I'm starting to get used to the KT setup I recently fitted and have noticed the throttle gives more assist than pedals.
Settings are P4=0, C4=4 so the throttle should match pedal assist level, it's similar but throttle is maybe 20% stronger in all levels.
It's very noticable when using pedals - then use the throttle and the motor gives more power.

Is there a way to "tune" the balance between throttle & PAS ?

many thanks

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
What's P3 set to? Also C5 and C14?
Hi,
P3=1 (current control) , C5=10 (max current), C14=2 (general assist level for motor)
Looking at the manuals for the KT controller some of the descriptions don't help a lot so any suggestions are welcome :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Try increasing C14, then let us know what it does. I would have thought that it would be a ramp on the start-up under PAS, but I remember another guy, who complained about low power from his PAS or something like that, which he fixed with C14.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
If you mean pedalling say PAS 1 and using the throttle at the same time then mine will over- ride the PAS level and hit full power. I would have to look at my settings.

EDIT I think mine are the same as yours however c14=3 I never did feel like c14 does much

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes, just to clarify, the throttle will always be stronger on all levels 1 to 4, since none of them give full power, but there should be no difference on level 5, which does give full power.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The throttle used with a KT isn't variable, one can try and gently apply throttle power but it can't be graduated smoothly at all. Throttle is all or nothing so one gets max current and it over rides PAS, it is on par with PAS 5. The PAS current isn't controllable it is set and any throttle use will override the PAS 1-4 current. Afaict C14 is simply how the PAS signal strength is applied, it has no affect on current applied and it 's only affect is maybe if the magnet to sensor gap is a bit wider.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The throttle used with a KT isn't variable, one can try and gently apply throttle power but it can't be graduated smoothly at all. Throttle is all or nothing so one gets max current and it over rides PAS, it is on par with PAS 5. The PAS current isn't controllable it is set and any throttle use will override the PAS 1-4 current. Afaict C14 is simply how the PAS signal strength is applied, it has no affect on current applied and it 's only affect is maybe if the magnet to sensor gap is a bit wider.
Mine doesn't work like that. If there's no pedalling, it works as a speed controller like on any other bike; however, as soon as you pedal, it becomes a full power switch instead.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I just installed my new throttle and the magnets location at full pelt kept trigging my brake sensor :oops: Had me stumped for a while lol

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Ok, I tried increasing C14 = 3 (max) but I can't tell any difference on a short test ride.

For info, throttle strength depends on power level and I'm happy with that.
Using no pedals, full throttle on power 1 works fine but is gentle, change to power=2 and the throttle gives more power ... power5 = max power.

I've no complaints about the way the throttle or the PAS is working, it just seems odd that the throttle always gives a bit more power than PAS.
It's not a big problem so I can just live with it but I'm happy to try any changes that get suggested.
Thanks for the ideas :)

Reactions: PC2017