Help! KT-LCD8H & KT Controller Throttle (only) issues

Andywebster2005

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 5, 2020
Lightwater, UK
Hi all,

First off, good to meet you all and this is my first post as a new user on this forum, and hopefully many more to come!

I have recently embarked on a custom scooter build, for my son, who, affectionately calls it, the "Batscooter" using parts from an ebike which have been sourced recently. The doner scooter is a kugoo S1, with its original motor, however the battery is now 48 volts 750 Watts, and is using a KT48/22 amp controller and so will be somewhat punchier... if I can get the throttle to work by itself...

I'm pretty new to the world of Ebikes and scooters but fell in love with them since the aformentioned scooter was purchased a little while back. I've since ridden it and a Mercane Widewheel, as well as my Voilamart converted Bike almost daily, without fail!

However, I am completely stumped :( with a system, that seems to work perfectly, bar the throttle only settings. Below are the components and some of the customisations I have made.

A KT-LCD8H display...

View attachment 36664

A KT-LCD8H display unit (configured, to my understanding, throttle only)

View attachment 36665

Various throttles... BUT with the rewiring of the connector's as shown below... (all tested for current and no dry connections etc...)

View attachment 36667

The frustrating part is that when holding the down arrow down, for walking assist, the motor spins up beautifully and without fault to the ~6kph limit...

But when trying the throttle only, no matter the settings I seem to use, it seems to recognise a throttle is present (I take out the signal wire or switch it to another wire and it throws an error up)

I have read threads saying it can work without the PAS fitted, but could anyone offer any pearls of wisdom or correct these assumptions please?

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise and wisdom in advance!

Andy (stumped Batman!)

Last edited:

Sivs

Jun 27, 2020
Hi all,

First off, good to meet you all and this is my first post as a new user on this forum, and hopefully many more to come!

I have recently embarked on a custom scooter build, for my son, who, affectionately calls it, the "Batscooter" using parts from an ebike which have been sourced recently. The doner scooter is a kugoo S1, with its original motor, however the battery is now 48 volts 750 Watts, and is using a KT48/22 amp controller and so will be somewhat punchier... if I can get the throttle to work by itself...

I'm pretty new to the world of Ebikes and scooters but fell in love with them since the aformentioned scooter was purchased a little while back. I've since ridden it and a Mercane Widewheel, as well as my Voilamart converted Bike almost daily, without fail!

However, I am completely stumped :( with a system, that seems to work perfectly, bar the throttle only settings. Below are the components and some of the customisations I have made.

A KT-LCD8H display...

View attachment 36664

A KT-LCD8H display unit (configured, to my understanding, throttle only)

View attachment 36665

Various throttles... BUT with the rewiring of the connector's as shown below... (all tested for current and no dry connections etc...)

View attachment 36667

The frustrating part is that when holding the down arrow down, for walking assist, the motor spins up beautifully and without fault to the ~6kph limit...

But when trying the throttle only, no matter the settings I seem to use, it seems to recognise a throttle is present (I take out the signal wire or switch it to another wire and it throws an error up)

I have read threads saying it can work without the PAS fitted, but could anyone offer any pearls of wisdom or correct these assumptions please?

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise and wisdom in advance!

Andy (stumped Batman!)
Hi Andy,
Sorry I cannot help, but your problem looks very much like mine I posted the other day!
My issue is I bought a new controller and lcd display as my ebike had a fault (display showed empty battery even though it was OK and it would not run the motor at all)
Now I have fitted the new parts I have a bike that like your scooter - it runs the motor in walk mode, but nothing happens when I use the PAS or throttle inputs

I have tried many different settings but nothing seems to work. So let me know if you get a breakthrough please!

see my post here

Andywebster2005

Jul 5, 2020
Lightwater, UK
BREAKTHROUGH!! so, was a mix of (my own) crappy wiring, and a funny old throttle (may have been a 36v on a 48v)

But...

The bat scooter fired up and ran tonight (really well, actually!)

I bought a universal twist throttle and with some mild tourettes, the throttle registered and ramped up and down amazingly well.

Now to "package" up, tidy a few wires and maybe try the 30a Vs the 20a controller... If I'm brave enough.

Thanks to you both for the replies...

Andy

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
BREAKTHROUGH!! so, was a mix of (my own) crappy wiring, and a funny old throttle (may have been a 36v on a 48v)
All throttles work at 5v. The only time battery voltage makes a difference is when you have the LEDs for battery charge state on the throttle, but they don't affect the working of the throttle. In other words, the throttle will work with a 24v, 36v, 48v, or any other battery. It has a separate regulated 5v supply from the controller.

Reactions: Andywebster2005

Advertisers