KT settings, any advice?

Darthpaul

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2020
I’ve finally got my conversion all up and running and enjoying it so far on a quick test ride round the block. Couple of niggles though. It’s a 48v HL battery but it’s sitting at 52v on the screen. Also it’s showing full bars but when I start using the power it will drop one, then come back. I’m guessing my P5 setting isn’t right but not sure what to use? It’s currently at 15.
Also the speedo is pretty accurate, but when you’re off power, it drops to zero. The motor is an akm-100. Guessing it’s another setting somewhere, but not sure which! Any help is much appreciated.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
48v battery at 52v on full charge is a reasonable value; it should probably be a little higher at 54.6v or so. It will drop below 48v by the time the battery is getting empty. Also losing a bar when using power is typical; internal resistance in the battery means that when you use current there is voltage lost in the battery, so voltage available to the motor is reduced (voltage sag). You may even find you lose two bars, especially as the battery charge reduces.
I can't help with the settings, sorry.

Darthpaul

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2020
It looks like I just had to set P2 to 5 to sort out the speed not working correctly. I’ll keep an eye on the battery though and see what happens.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
It’s currently at 15
Yep I just swapped over from 36v to 48v and the LCD3 settings don't really cover 48v, I have tried all different P5 amounts and nothing seems to make much difference expect the battery level indicator runs out faster, when you are using the bike hit the power button twice and the real time voltage should appear and stay on in the "trip distance" area, I have always used this to monitor my battery level however the 36v did work better with the battery level indicator - when your voltage gets to about 44v resting ie no power to the motor, you'll be near the end of the battery charge normally 40v is cut off but one of my controllers was 38.5v which is a bit too low.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If P2/5 works for you then fine, P2 1 or 6 is usually the norm.
48v is the nominal battery voltage its usable voltage is 40v - 54.6v, though ideally as as PC has mentioned 44v is a safer lower voltage per cell group at 3.38v.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
P5=10 has fared a little better for a 48v battery - After spotting a comment in another thread from the good sir above...