KTM Elycan

Galaxya6

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2020
Hi All. I have a KTM Elycan ebike with a Panasonic rear hub motor. I got it in a bit of a sorry state but changed the motor bearings and the motor seemed fine. The trouble is when I use the bike I have to have the power setting to High to gain any real benefit and after a ride I am literally more knackered than if I use my my other standard MTB. I could do with a motor service manual to check whether something has been over tightened or not lined up correctly. The bikes do weigh a ton but with pedal assistance it should make life easier not harder! Thanks Ian

Galaxya6

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2020
It's been a long time, but IIRC there is some sort of regen setting in the LCD. You have to set it to minimum or off.

edit: i just found a manual. here it is. see p27.
Hi, thanks vfr400 I’ve never seen that manual in English! Do you know where I could get a service manual for the motor or even an exploded diagram?

Galaxya6

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2020

Galaxya6

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2020
Thanks for the info... I’m hoping that the wheel circumference is set incorrectly.. this would explain it sort of working but not correctly.. tape measure in hand!!
Hi, thanks Vfr400, the wheel circumference was set incorrectly but only about 7% out. Would this make a difference to the control system? It may calculate the assist differently based on a different wheel circumference?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I doubt that it would make much difference. I don't have any experience of working on these bikes. I rode one when they first came out about 6 or more years ago. In principle, they don't work any different to any other hub-motored bike. The main difference is the torque sensor that's in one of the rear drop-outs, from memory. Have a look at that to see whether it's installed properly or damaged.

Galaxya6

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2020
There’s very little ‘knowledge’ about this Panasonic rear hub motor.
I had the motor apart.. the planetary gears are in good condition.. it all seems very stiff but that must be how they are. Not sure whether grease or no grease.. there was some white grease in originally. There is a crap ball bearing arrangement at the cassette end. I’m surprised how much effort it take to turn a hub motor but with the wheel on it’s much easier but still needs some turning. Will give it a whirl later but having never ridden a decent e MTB bike I don’t know what to expect.. in Auto mode on the flat the motor occasionally tried to brake which isn’t right.. if that what’s happening all the time it may explain why the bike doesn’t seem to be powerful enough..anyone know how stiff the planetary gears should be? Cheers Ian

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
One thing you can try is to ride it without power, first with the motor connector connected, then disconnected, to see if there's any difference. If it's worse connected, there could be a fault with the controller.

When I rode one of those bikes, I was impressed by its power and how nice it was to ride. I didn't even notice that there was no clutch in the motor.

Galaxya6

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2020
One thing you can try is to ride it without power, first with the motor connector connected, then disconnected, to see if there's any difference. If it's worse connected, there could be a fault with the controller.

When I rode one of those bikes, I was impressed by its power and how nice it was to ride. I didn't even notice that there was no clutch in the motor.
Hi again... would anyone know if the Panasonic rear hub motor on the Elycan has a clutch or not? It may explain if it has and is stuck why it’s so hard to turn the gears even disconnected from the bike?

Galaxya6

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2020
It doesn't. Do the test I said
Thanks, I did the test sorry. No difference I’m afraid. Like you said.. no clutch saw a previous post. Motor in bits . I’ll post an exploded photo of the motor. If anything it will help someone in the future. The trouble is I’m not sure how much effort it takes to turn a geared hub motor..should it spin a few turns with the wheel on? . mine will almost stop on a sixpence.... and it seems very noisy.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It should spin maybe two turns when on the bike.

Motors are generators when you turn them. If there is no way for the generated current to flow, the motor should turn without any resistance, but if there's any path from one phase to the other, the effort to turn the motor goes up rapidly. If you bridge one phase to another, you will see that it's virtually impossible to turn it because it generates more or less the same energy that you give it, so it fights back with equal strength.

Galaxya6

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2020
It should spin maybe two turns when on the bike.

Motors are generators when you turn them. If there is no way for the generated current to flow, the motor should turn without any resistance, but if there's any path from one phase to the other, the effort to turn the motor goes up rapidly. If you bridge one phase to another, you will see that it's virtually impossible to turn it because it generates more or less the same energy that you give it, so it fights back with equal strength.
Agree. It’s exactly like you said. Will check windings for shorts and whether coils equally balanced..

Galaxya6

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2020
Had the motor apart. Missed a circlip off the exploded photo! Checked between windings and get about 0.2 ohms across all 3 phases. There’s a fair reduction from the motor spindle to the drive ring so no wonder it’s a bit hard to turn. Not sure what lube to use, the gears are plastic. Will put it all together soon and see if it’s any better. There was some rust around the motor terminals which may have been tracking to the case.. it could be the reason. I couldn’t get to the Hall effect side as there is a bearing in the way and I don’t have the correct pullers

Attachments

Galaxya6

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2020
C
Lithium grease is what most of us use.
Used lithium grease and it seemed better and easier to turn. Put it all together and gave it a spin. It works fine, maybe I'm expecting more than I should. It accelerates well but I seem to have to put more effort in than thought...