Kudos Eiger with NuVinci Hub

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
Hi Fellow Pedelecs,

We received today one of Kudo's Eigers with the NuVinci N360 hubs, its so smooth to ride, has quickly become one of my favourite bikes to use here at the shop. The NuVinci Hub really complements the TCM motor and makes the bike a very usable mode of e-transport, overcomes the notchy gear problem sometimes associated with Dérailleur gears. At £1495.00 this is a great all round crank driven e-bike.

Available for demo rides to anyone who cares to visit us here in Hampton Wick and the offer of a free coffee from my good neighbour next door still stands for any Pedelec members, I look forward to seeing you soon.:cool::D

051.jpg053.jpg055.jpg056.jpg

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
hi tom,
in your view, how does the Eiger with NuVinci compare with the KTM Macina Race?

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
hi tom,
in your view, how does the Eiger with NuVinci compare with the KTM Macina Race?
Two different animals (& Prices) Trex, the Bosch system is a nice ride (I have the 29 here), KTM make a really lovely e-bike anyway, they are very nicely 'refined'. That's not taking anything away from the Kudos range, they are built to a high standard and serve the entry and midrange level of this market very well.

The Eiger with the NuVinci hub is just a simpler ride, I think if you use your gears and know how to ride a bike with Dérailleurs you wont want the NuVinci hub but if you want an easy ride you'd choose the Dérailleur and as I said at £1495.00 you'd be hard pushed to find another e-bike with this spec on the market.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
thanks tom. The Eiger is affordable to many members of this forum, the KTM is more to do with pride and joy (maybe priceless to some but unfortunately, not for me).
I was hoping you were going to say the Eiger gives the KTM Macina Race a run for their money.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I like the idea of the NuVinci; in fact I bought a bike with one. They are so dependable, reliable nothing to go wrong, no maintenance. Except mine did. So the bike goes off to the dealer, who had information from Fallbrook in Germany on how to fix it. But it doesn't, so the wheel has a journey to Germany and comes back no different. So off it goes again and with a bit of chuntering from me and my dealer to the bikes importer I have a promise of a replacement wheel so I can be riding this weekend. Except it has not yet arrived.
It seems that there are so many cooks in this broth, it's like dealing with the Council who can pass the buck to the Highways or the County anyone but them.
Anyone thinking of a NuVinci should be aware that the back-up isn't there. I could have had four bikes from Hatti for the cost of this; at least I would have a choice of bikes to ride on.

Disappointed, North Staffs

Reactions: grazie
D

Deleted member 4366

Good point. You could've bought the Sirocco Sport TS and the Sundowner, and then you could have made a two-wheel drive bike out of them. You'd have a bike that could climb any hill with brilliant traction, and it would have two independent motor systems, so if one packed up (very unlikely with a Woosh), you'd still have a motor to keep you going while you sorted it - all for half the price of your Grace. Plus you could go twice as far. You could call it the Woosh Sirocco Stunner.

What exactly went wrong with your Nuvinci?

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
I like the idea of the NuVinci; in fact I bought a bike with one. They are so dependable, reliable nothing to go wrong, no maintenance. Except mine did. So the bike goes off to the dealer, who had information from Fallbrook in Germany on how to fix it. But it doesn't, so the wheel has a journey to Germany and comes back no different. So off it goes again and with a bit of chuntering from me and my dealer to the bikes importer I have a promise of a replacement wheel so I can be riding this weekend. Except it has not yet arrived.
It seems that there are so many cooks in this broth, it's like dealing with the Council who can pass the buck to the Highways or the County anyone but them.
Anyone thinking of a NuVinci should be aware that the back-up isn't there. I could have had four bikes from Hatti for the cost of this; at least I would have a choice of bikes to ride on.

Disappointed, North Staffs
I feel your pain, having had my own challenges with ebike support, my biggest gripe is that ebikes are not supported like premium price products in general.....partly i think due to the lack of stock held (sorry but bikes faulty from new or within a month should be replaced, or spares sourced from stock bikes)

i'm surprised to hear of a bad experience with nuvinci though, i bought my nuvinci as a grey import a few years ago, and when it failed just out of warranty nuvinci replaced it for me for free :)

and the eiger is a great bike - i was really pleasantly surprised by it when i rode it. I wouldn't write it off when comparing to the ktm without riding it. I think kudos have done what i feel bh did with the neo, make a bike that is way greater than the sum of its parts.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
What exactly went wrong with your Nuvinci?
I had intended to wait till it was sorted before writing a review. But the weeks are passing and I am beginning to loose patience.

When I had the bike there was a small click whilst peddling, something common with the Bosch system I believe, so thought nothing of it. Gradually the clicking increased to multiple clicks so I thought when I got to 1000 miles it would go in for a service and get sorted. But when going uphill on full power, the need to lower the ratio a little from full a very loud knocking accompanied with vibration up the seat post informed me it was the NuVinci, not the motor. I held my camera so it could record the sound and sent it to Onbike who sent it on to Fallbrook in Germany who misdiagnosed the problem.

Strangely, when in the highest ratio it was as smooth as it could be. Just off' high' it was bad but improved as it went lower down, so I was forced to drop several 'gears' so's not to frighten the horses. The last thing I wanted was for it to fail miles from home, or worse, to seize the wheel. I am to old to carry it home and it's to heavy to throw.

I like the bike a lot, Onbike have been brilliant, pity they weren't a little closer but I knew that, not thinking it would go wrong.

d8veh, your byline is very apt.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I managed to get a duplicate, roll on the new one.

Last edited:

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
I agree I really think the bike market needs to move more towards other premium markets. I do not agree people should have to wait weeks for frames or anything else. From our experience there is sometimes an attitude that this is how it has always been so deal with it. However people now use bikes a lot more for commuting or travelling on a daily basis. The market needs to adapt, sales for everyone would benefit. On the electric side I feel fairly comfortable as you can keep spares and we have found there to be good stock for items.

Hope you get everything sorted and at least your in good hands with your dealer.

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Croxden....the difference with Kudos is keeping a stock of spares.....when we build a new bike I try to order a batch of spares to support that bike. For example I am building 50 Kudos Eiger bikes (TCM crank drive plus Nuvinci 360 hub)....I have in stock 10 spare TCM motor units and will have 10 spare Nuvinci hubs. So many importers (and the big names are the worst offenders) buy the bikes but do not bring in any spares,if you add spares to the original order its easy for the manufacturer to order a few extra bits,but try to order a one-off part retrospectively,you may never get it!!
But we are not perfect,customers lose or damage the wierdest part and thats when you have to call a 'favour' from the manufacturer.
We try to order spares in bits that are easy to assemble....for example, motors already laced into the wheel,crank sets complete.
In volume, the TCM crank motor and the Nuvinci hub are not expensive,we may offer these to DIY builders if it does not affect our ability to service our own bikes.
What we hope is the spares sit on our shelf gathering dust....our old Kudos Sport model was a very reliable bike,we are commited to keeping spares 2 years after the sale of the last bike but there are a lot of Sport spares left on the shelf.
KudosDave

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Croxden....the difference with Kudos is keeping a stock of spares.....when we build a new bike I try to order a batch of spares to support that bike. For example I am building 50 Kudos Eiger bikes (TCM crank drive plus Nuvinci 360 hub)....I have in stock 10 spare TCM motor units and will have 10 spare Nuvinci hubs. So many importers (and the big names are the worst offenders) buy the bikes but do not bring in any spares,if you add spares to the original order its easy for the manufacturer to order a few extra bits,but try to order a one-off part retrospectively,you may never get it!!
But we are not perfect,customers lose or damage the wierdest part and thats when you have to call a 'favour' from the manufacturer.
We try to order spares in bits that are easy to assemble....for example, motors already laced into the wheel,crank sets complete.
In volume, the TCM crank motor and the Nuvinci hub are not expensive,we may offer these to DIY builders if it does not affect our ability to service our own bikes.
What we hope is the spares sit on our shelf gathering dust....our old Kudos Sport model was a very reliable bike,we are commited to keeping spares 2 years after the sale of the last bike but there are a lot of Sport spares left on the shelf.
KudosDave
I'm glad you can and do offer a good service to your customers. I was impressed with you at the Manifold do but was then still learning about e-bikes and needed to try more. The back-up part of the equation had not entered my mind, something for us all to be aware of.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I like the bike a lot, Onbike have been brilliant, pity they weren't a little closer but I knew that, not thinking it would go wrong.
Really frustrating to have to de-bug a new bike to that extent and sod's law it happens when you buy from a dealer who is not nearby. One of the aspects which is so wrong about things like this happening in 1st year of owning an expensive new bike is if it has to go off the road to sort a problem for any length of time. Aside from losing the use of it, it's probably costing about £100 a month on average in depreciation. That is not "incidental" in anyone's book. :(

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I'm a little confused. Under the sale of goods act you can reject the goods if they fail to meet the required expectations of reliability within a (and this is the grey area) a reasonable time.
Your contract is with the dealer so it is he who has to sort this out.

Sorry that my first post isn't too friendly but I'm looking to buy 2 ebikes for my wife and myself and have been lurking on the forum for a few weeks.

I was very interested in the BH Neo but have now ruled that out. I'm very interested in the Kudos Eiger but Kudos don't offer a step through with Nuvi hub for my wife.

I like the Wisper set up the blue label Komfort looks good but having heard there is a new Wisper model about to come out I'd like to have more info on that.

KTM look awesome but I feel I'm too old to be riding a young persons sports bike...lol..

Then there us the Tonora Esprit & Compy.....still trying to work out how Powerpedals can offer so much for the price..is it lower margins or shorter supply chain...or just inferior components.

Sorry to have rambled.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I'm a little confused. Under the sale of goods act you can reject the goods if they fail to meet the required expectations of reliability within a (and this is the grey area) a reasonable time.
Your contract is with the dealer so it is he who has to sort this out.

Sorry that my first post isn't too friendly but I'm looking to buy 2 ebikes for my wife and myself and have been lurking on the forum for a few weeks.

I was very interested in the BH Neo but have now ruled that out. I'm very interested in the Kudos Eiger but Kudos don't offer a step through with Nuvi hub for my wife.

I like the Wisper set up the blue label Komfort looks good but having heard there is a new Wisper model about to come out I'd like to have more info on that.

KTM look awesome but I feel I'm too old to be riding a young persons sports bike...lol..

Then there us the Tonora Esprit & Compy.....still trying to work out how Powerpedals can offer so much for the price..is it lower margins or shorter supply chain...or just inferior components.

Sorry to have rambled.
How about the KTM Macina Bold Wave,they were the top selling bike from our London dealer until KTM ran out of stock. Interestingly the bike was bought by guys as much as ladies and the 48 cm frame size seemed to be very comfortable for a wide range of heights. We have ordered 10 Macina Bold Waves in that size,delivery should be about 6 weeks.
That bike was certainly not a young persons sport bike.
KudosDave