Kudos Secret vs Kudos K16

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
I need your help to help me deciding between these two options.

Criteria:

• I need a folding e-bike to go to work (or carry on London tube/trains). It's a 9 miles journey each day (short one).
  • I need something that I can carry to my flat, which involves 3 flights of stairs. So it must be lightweight (<19kg).
  • I need something with a good assistance so that I don't get to work sweaty (the whole point for me to get an e-bike as I've been commuting by bike and using shower facilities but it has been taking too much of my time).

Kudos K16:
  1. It's 15kg with battery. It would be perfect to carry up the stairs.
  2. Its wheels are 16" so it's overall smaller and easier to bring on public transportation if needed.
  3. Doesn't have mudguards and in London might be an issue.
  4. 16" wheels on London road might be tricky for commute longer than 10-15 miles per day.
Kudos Secret
  1. It's 19kg. Heavier but has the handle so I could remove the battery and carrying it.
  2. With its 20" wheels is less compact and potentially less portable on public transport.
  3. Has mudguards and lights, more reliable for longer commute and London roads.
I really like the K16 but I could not find any information or review. I do not know whether it would be a struggle to cover longer distances. However its weight and size it's very appealing to me.

The Kudos seems the best overall choice, however its increased weight and size concern me.

Reactions: Born to be mild

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the K16 is easy to carry but single speed, the Secret is more comfortable to ride but not to carry. If you don't pedal much then K16, if you enjoy pedaling, then the Secret.
Both are excellent value for money.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I need your help to help me deciding between these two options.

Criteria:

• I need a folding e-bike to go to work (or carry on London tube/trains). It's a 9 miles journey each day (short one).
  • I need something that I can carry to my flat, which involves 3 flights of stairs. So it must be lightweight (<19kg).
  • I need something with a good assistance so that I don't get to work sweaty (the whole point for me to get an e-bike as I've been commuting by bike and using shower facilities but it has been taking too much of my time).
Kudos K16:
  1. It's 15kg with battery. It would be perfect to carry up the stairs.
  2. Its wheels are 16" so it's overall smaller and easier to bring on public transportation if needed.
  3. Doesn't have mudguards and in London might be an issue.
  4. 16" wheels on London road might be tricky for commute longer than 10-15 miles per day.
Kudos Secret
  1. It's 19kg. Heavier but has the handle so I could remove the battery and carrying it.
  2. With its 20" wheels is less compact and potentially less portable on public transport.
  3. Has mudguards and lights, more reliable for longer commute and London roads.
I really like the K16 but I could not find any information or review. I do not know whether it would be a struggle to cover longer distances. However its weight and size it's very appealing to me.

The Kudos seems the best overall choice, however its increased weight and size concern me.
I have ridden a Secret a number of times and found it a decent enough ride. Battery a bit fiddly to remove and probably weighs less than 2kg. Not very small or portable when folded. I haven’t tried or seen a K16 in the flesh but I ride a Brompton with 16” wheels and it rides really well imo. If you might want to transport it on a tube / train forget the Secret. I would try and have a go on the K16 if you can.

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
the K16 is easy to carry but single speed, the Secret is more comfortable to ride but not to carry. If you don't pedal much then K16, if you enjoy pedaling, then the Secret.
Both are excellent value for money.
Thank you.

I don't mind being it single speed and I got another bike (26" hybrid) if I want to pedal.

I guess the K16 is probably the best mobility and portability choice for me considering it's weight.

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
I have ridden a Secret a number of times and found it a decent enough ride. Battery a bit fiddly to remove and probably weighs less than 2kg. Not very small or portable when folded. I haven’t tried or seen a K16 in the flesh but I ride a Brompton with 16” wheels and it rides really well imo. If you might want to transport it on a tube / train forget the Secret. I would try and have a go on the K16 if you can.
Do you say that (not to use in tube) because of the weight of the Secret or its size?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Do you say that (not to use in tube) because of the weight of the Secret or its size?
Size. Bromptons and I expect the K16 are treated as luggage I believe and permitted on the tube as such. 20” folding bikes are treated as bikes. I think these are only permitted off peak. This may not be 100% correct but it’s my understanding.

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
Size. Bromptons and I expect the K16 are treated as luggage I believe and permitted on the tube as such. 20” folding bikes are treated as bikes. I think these are only permitted off peak. This may not be 100% correct but it’s my understanding.
Thank you Jonah,

I believe the K16 ticks all the boxes (except for the mudguards) and I will order one now!

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Thank you Jonah,

I believe the K16 ticks all the boxes (except for the mudguards) and I will order one now!
Do let us know how you get on.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thank you Jonah,

I hope it works out for you but I fear you will quickly tire of lugging the bike up three flights of stairs.

All folding ebikes are heavy, unwieldy lumps suitable only for humping in and out the back of a car.

A possible exception would be a converted Brompton, just coming on stream from the factory although the kits are just as good.

That would give you about 15kg of bike to carry, plus 2/3kg of battery in a luggage bag that could go over your shoulder when not plugged in.

Even that would be a trial up stairs.

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
I hope it works out for you but I fear you will quickly tire of lugging the bike up three flights of stairs.

All folding ebikes are heavy, unwieldy lumps suitable only for humping in and out the back of a car.

A possible exception would be a converted Brompton, just coming on stream from the factory although the kits are just as good.

That would give you about 15kg of bike to carry, plus 2/3kg of battery in a luggage bag that could go over your shoulder when not plugged in.

Even that would be a trial up stairs.
Hi Rob,

That's why I have chosen the K16.

It's 15kg including the battery. Lighter than the Brompton.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's 15kg including the battery. Lighter than the Brompton.
there is not much weight difference in weight between the K16 and the Woosh Gallego, despite what the manufacturers claim. Both have similar frame and components. I can take the Gallego up one flight but know I would not want to take the Gallego up 3 flights of stairs everyday but I am an old man.

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
there is not much weight difference in weight between the K16 and the Woosh Gallego, despite what the manufacturers claim. Both have similar frame and components. I can take the Gallego up one flight but know I would not want to take the Gallego up 3 flights of stairs everyday but I am an old man.
I would have chosen the Gallego due to gears and mudguards, but unfortunately it is not available with the cyclescheme..

The K16 is advertised as 15kg whilst the Gallego is 18kg.

That's a 3 kg different, are you saying that the manufacturer (Kudos) lied about it?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That's a 3 kg different, are you saying that the manufacturer (Kudos) lied about it?
I'd better quit before I get myself into deep water!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I can take the Gallego up one flight but know I would not want to take the Gallego up 3 flights of stairs everyday but I am an old man.
:D:D

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
Hi all,

Whilst I am waiting for my cyclescheme to be awarded, I have a doubt regarding the K16.

Is there a way to fit a light plastic mudguard and lights reflector?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think Woosh is probably speaking of a like for like weight being similar. The Gallego has a three speed hub gear, mudguards, front and rear lights and bell. The K16 hasn't.

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
I think Woosh is probably speaking of a like for like weight being similar. The Gallego has a three speed hub gear, mudguards, front and rear lights and bell. The K16 hasn't.
I see.

I am really struggling to make a decision as it's 3 kgs more, but it has the mudguards and lights which would be very handy...

This is my first e-bike so I am a total amateur and I have no idea if I could fit mudguards and lights (or just reflectors) onto the K16

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is my first e-bike so I am a total amateur and I have no idea if I could fit mudguards and lights (or just reflectors) onto the K16
Looking at it closely in this enlargement, it doesn't seem it's easily possible. If you are a DIY handyman you may be able to rig brackets to hold a cut section of an accessory mudguard to the carrier for the rear.

There's no mounting for a front mudgard, though the fork head could be drilled for a bolt to hold a cut section of a front equivalent.

I think you'd also find a three speed gear handy for the longer runs like 5 miles. That distance with only a single low gear speed could be a bit tedious.

Last edited:

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
Looking at it closely in this enlargement, it doesn't seem it's easily possible. If you are a DIY handyman you may be able to rig brackets to hold a cut section of an accessory mudguard to the carrier for the rear.

There's no mounting for a front mudgard, though the fork head could be drilled for a bolt to hold a cut section of a front equivalent.
So this puts a big question mark on top of the K16 as I have never ridden in London weather without mudguards...

I am getting more and more confused every day about how to choose a folding e-bike that actually fits my need..

If I go for the Secret I get all the above but loose the opportunity to carry it on tube/train and it's heavier to lift up the stairs.

If I go for the K16 I got lightweight and portability but no mudguards/lights/bell.