Kunteng Electronics

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
I recently bought a cheap Alibaba-kit from Leili Motors, but the electronics is from another company, Kunteng, like I just have found out.

Today I fried my controller, a KT-LCD3 display (see photo). It displays error message "06 Info". That means short circuit. Most likely the output circuit is damaged because of heat (I had hidden the controller).

The controller has model number KT36/48ZWSR-LL09. It was VERY difficult finding a replacement. I have searched whole evening for this. But when I opened up the casing I found a webadress:
http://www.szktdz.com/en/index.php (Suzhou KUNTENG Electronics Co., Ltd.)

On my PCB it says 2012-09-16 and that model is not displayed on their homepage. Instead a newer model (ZWS-6). But I couldn't find anywhere to order that one. So finally I just searched on Alibaba for the model number of the display (KT-LCD3). Then I found that display on an Alibaba-page for "Suzhou New Power Co.,Ltd.". AND... that page had a new Sine-Wave controller with cable for their KT-displays!
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/36V20W-Brushless-motor-controller/1358023492.html

Double jackpot! Not only a replacement but an upgrade also! :) really cool! I don't like the processing/delivery time but I have to live with that.

So... I just thought to share this information because I have seen these KT-displays on many places and it can be nice to know where to find "compatible" controllers for them.

(their homepage also has manuals for some electronics, like a fresh released expanded user manual for the KT-LCD3 display, link)

D

Deleted member 4366

If you had asked first, we could have saved you a lot of searching. We use the tried and tested S06S from BMSBattery. It's probably the same as your one or a later version.

I think it's that supplier that sells a 48v 6 mosfet version too. I ordered a couple a few weeks ago, but they've not come yet.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Got a message on the order:

Thanks for your roder, I will arrange production as soon as possible.
PS: our controller only compatible with our display.
So, they really make it when ordering.

D

Deleted member 4366

They're Chinese. By make, they mean put in a box.The controller's made by Kunteng in a factory with robot production lines.

Reactions: mechaniker

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
do you know which company has the best assembly line? King Meter, Bafang or Kunteng?

D

Deleted member 4366

They're all moving forward rapidly. Wuxing have introduced the Toyata Production System (TPS) into their factory.

I'm looking at Santroll controllers now. They started with ebikes, but then focused on buses and cars, but now are back on ebikes as well. Their factory looks as good as any I've seen, presumably with influence from the automobile industry too, where you see the best factories in the supply chain.

Reactions: trex

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Today I got a tester from eBay. Good thing this, of all the test I can do one is bad. The controller output test, it circles the LED's on low throttle but on a little hight they stop. Seems like there is some fault in the output circuitry on the controller (well, it overheated so it should be the most logic error I guess). Anyway, the new controller is here soon so I can test for real!

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

The controller checks that the motor is working. If it doesn't detect that, it shuts down. Is normal to only get one rotation of output or something like that before the controller stops, when using the tester.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
/edit: Just for keeping things in order. I also got the new Kunteng 36V-controller. See attachment, that one also worked good but had throttle pins in wrong order.

_6170075.jpg

I ordered an S06S-controller, got it in like two weeks. Great! It's compatible with Kunteng KT-LCD3 display also. Tried it today and it works good!

BMS Battery S06 controller.jpg

(but the connectors had to be resoldered a little, some were different, or different pin-order, newer system? the throttle for example was some new big connector. Different than the spec on BMS homepage!!! Frustrating, but easily fixed. The Brake sensor was only one also, had to Y-solder a second one. Also different from spec on homepage!!! How hard can it be to provide accurate information)

Last edited:

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
How do you think you managed it?
I don't know what happened. I was just biking when suddenly the power meter displayed 0% and shut down motor. Restart after one hour didn't help, still 0%. Measured 38V from the power cords (on a 36V battery). So the pack was ok.

Tried an old fried controller, that still works but the output-circuit is bad. It worked! Displayed 75% power! So.... I then changed controller to a brand new S06S. Worked!

Don't know what happened to the controller. Something with the power measure circuit!?

Have lost confidence in these cheap controllers, any suggestions for a replacement that still works with the LCD? Will Infineon work?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
It does seem a little strange you keep blowing them

I've used nothing but cheap 36v controllers like this and I overvolt them all the time to 48v and sometimes 52v . I've blown two in 3.5 years of daily commuting. Both were 36v controllers running at 52v so not that surprising

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
I like the S06S when it works though. Really great. Quiet and powerful.

One common thing is they blow when under harder conditions than normal, eg when biking some trails on full assist. Now it's getting colder also so I think they will like the weather coming. Think I'll order two spares so I have for next time. Convenient and important since I am very dependant on the bike.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Good news!

The new controller works really ok!

I actually had problems with it cutting out but I noticed that it was only the "LCD" that was cutting, not the BMS. Since I had power to the LCD.

So I tried and changed this parameter P5 "Power monitoring mode". It was on 15, have never touched that. But now I put it on 0. That is supposed to measure the real voltage without any "smart" calculation.

And... that works!! I can now use the full capacity again without something cutting out. And the controller has worked great also. Really happy!

The P5 parameter can be set to try and display the battery level correctly even when not under load. But something must have happened (to the battery?). When I have P5 on 0 it uses no smart algorithm so when not under load it increases so you have to pedal to really see the battery level. That works great to me, actually it's a better indicator of the battery packs health.

genclone

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 9, 2016
Munich
Wh
Today I got a tester from eBay. Good thing this, of all the test I can do one is bad. The controller output test, it circles the LED's on low throttle but on a little hight they stop. Seems like there is some fault in the output circuitry on the controller (well, it overheated so it should be the most logic error I guess). Anyway, the new controller is here soon so I can test for real!
That is really cool, where have you got it from exactly?

Advertisers