Lack of chain wear

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The chain was checked on my Rose yesterday - the mechanic pronounced next to zero wear.

Not bad considering it's been on for a year or so.

Certainly gives the lie to the notion Bosch bikes eat chains.

Why is it doing so well?

Hard to say, but it's a £30 Dura-Ace, so should be good quality.

The mechanic reckons one of the main reasons is the hub gear, a lot of chain wear is due to the chain scraping across the cassette on a derailleur bike.

I do give it a wipe after every ride and keep it lightly lubed.

Fairly low miles might be another factor.

I'm out quite a bit and do some decent length rides, but my mileage is divided between my three ebikes.

Reactions: flecc and trex

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Mine is also a year old but 5000 miles of hill climbing. I thank the Rohloff hub gears and the best quality chain for the continued reliability.

It gets a rub down but never lubed it yet, it's as flexable now as it was when new. I remember Hattie Woosh commenting that some oils can undo what the chains have in them from new & they recommend just to keep them clean.

It's worked for me.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Yes, it seems that hub gears reduce chain wear to the point of eliminating chain wear altogether. Shame that they add a bit of weight.

Reactions: flecc and RobF

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The other reason hub gears increase chain life is the chain can be heavy duty single speed not thin ultra light 10 Spd stuff.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I think another factor in favour of hub gears is the higher chain line keeps the chain cleaner.

It's only two or three inches, but I've noticed quite a difference.

My AVE, being 20" wheels, is even worse - the chain gets filthy in no time.

It's also a 10-speed, so it probably won't do half as well as the chain on the Rose.

D

Deleted member 4366

Fairly low miles might be another factor.
Might be?????
I've never known a chain yet that wears itself out in the garage. I bought a spare a couple of years ago that's hanging up in my shed. I haven't had to use it yet, but just in case, I keep checking it: There's no sign of wear yet after two years, and it's only a cheap one, so I don't think your one's price of £30 has anything to do with it. I'll warn you if it suddenly starts stretching,

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Might be?????
I've never known a chain yet that wears itself out in the garage. I bought a spare a couple of years ago that's hanging up in my shed. I haven't had to use it yet, but just in case, I keep checking it: There's no sign of wear yet after two years, and it's only a cheap one, so I don't think your one's price of £30 has anything to do with it. I'll warn you if it suddenly starts stretching,
Everyone else knew what I meant, as indeed did you, because only an idiot would fail to grasp it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
:cool: Some call it sarcasm, I call it wit and humour, nice.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Don't take what I said too seriously.
No danger of that, Dave.

But this place would be a shambles if we all torpedoed threads in the way you have done to this one.

I am a more ignorant, bombastic, sarcastic, sod than you will ever be, but try not to post as such.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Personally, I would be happy with a 4 speed widely spaced derailleur and a hefty chain with thick cogs.

Reactions: flecc

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Personally, I would be happy with a 4 speed widely spaced derailleur and a hefty chain with thick cogs.
Yes, I needed more range, not speeds, on the Rose.

Were you designing an ebike from the ground up, you wouldn't pick a cassette with 10 close ratios.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I have recently been wondering if it was being over keen with chain maintenance which has caused my chain to wear out. When I eventually change it with the all the gears I may try the minimum just rag cleaning it.

D

Deleted member 4366

No danger of that, Dave.

But this place would be a shambles if we all torpedoed threads in the way you have done to this one.

I am a more ignorant, bombastic, sarcastic, sod than you will ever be, but try not to post as such.
Let's be a bit more pragmatic then. How many miles are presently on your odometer?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Let's be a bit more pragmatic then. How many miles are presently on your odometer?
Scrambled by the dongle, so no help there.