Ladies lightweight ?

Brelades

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 23, 2012
I have a Tonaro and my wife has a Windsor. Both are over 25k. in weight. Not a problem for me, but my wife finds if she lets the bike lean, she falls over. We are both the wrong side of 70 plus. We do not, for safety's sake, cycle on main roads, mainly tow paths and cycle tracks.
I want to get her a reasonably priced but lighter bike. I do not like the small wheels of folders, but can't find a medium size low weight model.
Perhaps some-one here can suggest one ? Peter.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I think you may not find what you seek, 25kg is not particularly heavy for a step-through ebike - a £1,700 Kalkhoff weighs that much:

2012 Kalkhoff Agattu C8 Impulse 45cm Electric Bike

They have a compact model which is a couple of kilos lighter, but it's £1,800 which I'm guessing is outside your budget:

2012 Kalkhoff Sahel Compact Nexus Electric Bike

In any case, I doubt a kilo or two would make much difference - the bike may still be too heavy for the wife.

Cheaper often means heavier which is going to further work against you.

A lightweight ordinary road bike and an aftermarket kit might work, but I suspect that will also come in over budget.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
plenty of 20 kg bikes about, problem being most step through weigh more.....

how about this Italian beauty at 19Kg:

LEAOS | LEAOS, a design carbon electric bike for less than

Cube EPO ladies step through among this list also 19Kg

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k748/e-bikes-pedelecs.html

i bought my wife this during summer but probably not for you as skittish on the loose stuff...but its a cracking bike.the other AVE step throughs are heavy I'm afraid.....

http://www.onbike.co.uk/ave-electric-bikes/ave-mh-7.html

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Peter asked for a lightweight ladies bike..no mention of price.

its a tough ask....you want light and ladies frame it ain't going to be cheap

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Peter asked for a lightweight ladies bike..no mention of price.

its a tough ask....you want light and ladies frame it ain't going to be cheap
to quote

"I want to get her a reasonably priced but lighter bike." plus currently has a Tornaro and a Windsor so I doubt 4000 euros is in in what Peter consider a reasonable price.

As for rest fully agree as less weight = more cash

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I know you said you didn't like folders but folding bicycles are often lighweight and are easy to get on and off - much like a step through.

How about something like this? Not tiny wheels either (it has 20" rims, not 16").

Last edited:

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Folding bicycles are often lighweight and are easy to get on and off - much like a step through.

How about something like this?
Yea would of been my suggestion apart from fact says does not like folders !!!.

Boy I hate being negative just cant find anything of the shelf for around £1000 and 19-21 Kilos which is what I think Peter is looking for.

I am also assuming based on Windsor wants a step through otherwise a whoosh sirocco sport at 21 kilos might be a idea

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
the site I linked to DID have the 19 kg ladies EPO for £1500 earlier so worth keeping an eye out

folders make the choice much easier and cheaper...but they want to use on loose surface bridle ways etc..so a full size bike required.

Still.... maybe a kit on a nice comfortable lightweight bike a cheaper option.

Last edited:

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
I have a Tonaro and my wife has a Windsor. Both are over 25k. in weight. Not a problem for me, but my wife finds if she lets the bike lean, she falls over. We are both the wrong side of 70 plus. We do not, for safety's sake, cycle on main roads, mainly tow paths and cycle tracks.
I want to get her a reasonably priced but lighter bike. I do not like the small wheels of folders, but can't find a medium size low weight model.
Hi Peter,

I'm feeling you here with the ROMANCE! regardless of being on the wrong side of 70.

Mountainsport. LOVE IS IN THE AIR! XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was surprised to see the Windsor being quoted as 25 kilos, it is in fact 22 kilos including battery, one of the lightest step-throughs already.

Here's the suppliers specification.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
I was surprised to see the Windsor being quoted as 25 kilos, it is in fact 22 kilos including battery, one of the lightest step-throughs already.

Here's the suppliers specification.
Yep thats I have just discovered as well here
PowaCycle Windsor LPX Electric Bike FREE DELIVERY - eBikes Direct

Based on that really going to struggle to find any thing much lighter with out spending a lot of money.

Maybe should look into shedding excessive weight of the windsor. Im guessing the rack probably weighs best part of a kilo so could remove that for starters. Then look into removing / replacing mud guards with lighter ones. also lighter seat,tyres,bars,stand etc. I would be surprised if could not loose 2-3 kilos and to get lighter than that is going to cost serious money.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
3E City Light is 21kg. Although that is only 1kg lighter. We currently have 20% of this brand of bikes. Their website is City Light 2012

We also sell the Fastforward which is £999 with a 36V panasonic battery and also weighs 21kg. More information about the bike here: Ultra Motor

Good luck with the search!

D

Deleted member 4366

The tipping over is more due to steering geometry and position of the centre of gravity than the total weight; however, lighter weight makes it easier to get out of the shed/garage.

Unlike some here, I don't ride many girls bikes, so I can't advise you what's best, but maybe if someone has a not tippy one, they could let you know, otherwise you have to try some to feel the difference.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
A step through is not a girl's bike. It's a step through.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Brelades....we have much experience of small ladies wanting an easy to ride bike. The problem with step throughs is to get the structural stability the frame has to be of substantial construction-there is probably a market for a carbon frame step through on say 24" wheels but it would be expensive,especially considering the low volume.
When smaller ladies come to test,at our warehouse,a variety of bikes they invariably buy the Secret bike,it is a very light bike(18kg),it is not expensive(£725.00),it is a nicely balanced bike with the battery inside the frame,it climbs hills very well,ladies find the styling attractive,it comes with a storage/transport bike. It is a folder although most probably never fold it and the 20" wheels are big enough not to get caught down a pothole.
Come along and trial ride the Secret(where are you located),your wife will be pleasantly surprised what a nice bike it is to ride.
I don't think its just about weight most ladies like a bike that they feel comfortably in control of and even 26" wheeled bikes seem big. The AVE MH7 is a lovely bike,Eddie bought one,but they are expensive.
Hope that helps.
Dave
Kudoscycles