Large Rear Pannier

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced single rear pannier capable of holding a spare Ezee battery (380 x 115 x 75mm, 5.5kg). All the ads normally quote the volume but not individual dimensions, and all those I've seen look too small for the 380mm length.

My rides are getting longer and although not always needed I find having an additional battery very reassuring. At present I'm carrying it in an adapted laptop bag strapped on pannier style, however it's not really strong enough and I almost lost the battery on one occasion when the zip burst so I'm looking for a better solution.

Ta,

Ian.

Pageant

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2007
Tool Bags

Hi Ian,
I know these are not panniers, but perhaps something like these might do the trick. 18" Canvas tool bags at £4 each - It shouldnt be too hard to attach webbing straps or something between two of them and fit them like twin panniers over a bike frame - Dont suppose they would be waterproof though. But hey, wot you expect for 4 quid! - Maybe they can be dyed black and then sprayed with a canvas waterproofing liquid?

Richard

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
That's something I hadn't thought of Richard, waterproofing is not a problem, if it rains the battery will get wet in normal use anyway, and 4 quid is a fraction of what a proper pannier would cost, I'll look around and see if I can find something similar in black, although I'd feel safer with day-glow yellow!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Altura panniers I've used for four years now take the eZee battery on a slight angle, front lower corner to rear upper corner with the strong top and strap holding it still. The battery sits better like that than upright and flopping about. They are about 18 litre size, and stocked in many bike shops at reasonable prices. I've carried a pair of spare batteries like that too, using both panniers.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Thanks for your replies. I got a 15" high 23 litre Avenir single pannier for £17 from an ebay shop, it easily holds a spare battery with room for waterproofs as well so just the job :)