Laser navigation for bikes

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Think I'll stick with Copilot whispering in my earpiece...

Might well find myself riding up the verge, entranced by the pretty arrows with this :rolleyes:

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I think the laser is totally pointless(excuse the pun) to indicate which direction to go, and the reasons for not looking at the console are absurd on a bicycle. 1/10

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Have to agree actually, not something I'd want. Can't see that getting distracted looking at a GPS to the extent you have an accident is very likely in most instances, especially if you use an earpiece, which I do now all the time to hear voice guidance. Saves getting weird stares from pedestrians as your instructions are broadcast to the world at traffic lights :eek:.

Let's face it you're no more distracted glancing at a GPS than turning back to look if it's safe to pull out, and you get ample warning on roads to enable you to position in the right lane for roundabouts or right turns etc. with a street plan rather than waiting for your lazer arrow to point. Solution looking for a problem ?

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
For the laser to be reasonably visible in daylight it will either have to be unfeasibly powerful or be beamed too close in front of the bike.
My money's on the latter, and if it's that close, it's actually being a hindrance; by purporting to alleviate one alleged problem it's doing nothing more than creating another one of its own - anyone who's riding along looking just a couple of yards in front of them is a numpty just waiting for an accident.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
For the laser to be reasonably visible in daylight it will either have to be unfeasibly powerful or be beamed too close in front of the bike.
My money's on the latter, and if it's that close, it's actually being a hindrance; by purporting to alleviate one alleged problem it's doing nothing more than creating another one of its own - anyone who's riding along looking just a couple of yards in front of them is a numpty just waiting for an accident.
Maybe it would have some advantages for those who suffer from tunnel vision:cool:

Last edited:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Lasers are good for aiming those missiles at the idiot car driver who pull out in front off you or pass to close I know we all feel like blowing them out off the water so to speak

Frank

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
I to would rather use my phone which has navigation on it, or most of the times when I stop for a rest use the map of the area to see if there is any interesting places to have a look at.
Bob:)