Latest rear wheel conversion kit from Cyclotricity

Paulsully

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 8, 2016
Cambridge UK
I've been reading this topic with interest as i am considering fitting a cyclotricity kit to my mountain bike.

Could you tell me, the 500w kit in its restricted mode is it legal to drive on the UK roads? i would like to be able to use it on the road restricted and offroad unrestricted too.

Paul

Dumsterdave

May 17, 2016
copenhagen
I've been reading this topic with interest as i am considering fitting a cyclotricity kit to my mountain bike.

Could you tell me, the 500w kit in its restricted mode is it legal to drive on the UK roads? i would like to be able to use it on the road restricted and offroad unrestricted too.

Paul
the max size you can legally ride in public is 250w

Paulsully

Jun 8, 2016
Cambridge UK
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I know the legal power limit is 250w, what i am trying to find out is if the cyclotricity 500w kit is legal to ride on the road when it is in its restricted mode ( 250w ).

Is it the motor size or the power applied to it that must not exceed 250w?

I have emailed Cyclotricity several times asking this but have had no reply, and i'm beginning to wonder if their 500 and 1000w kits are legal when restricted?

Do you know if the Cyclotricity 500w kit adheres to the following European standard: EN 15194 When in restricted mode? surely someone must know?

Paul the confused.

Last edited:

Ray Breen

Pedelecer
May 23, 2016
North West
I am relatively new to ebikes but my take on your question, is that if a manufacturer mentions anything about 250w it is by definition not road legal.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
It's hard to be sure.
Basically if the manufacturer says its 250watt legal, you as an uninformed customer have a defence( unless it obviously isn't)
If it has an off road switch it is illegal.
If it can be converted to higher speed but hasn't been its legal.
If it has been updated its an unregistered motorbike etc.
So a BBS 01 is rated as 250watt. And with nominal 36v 15 amp has a peak power of 540watts its legal.
If you reprogram it to 30kph cutout it's illegal.
As you have to reprogram not just flick a switch it's not an off road switch!
The cycotricity kit is trying the same/similar argument, I don't know how you convert or switch modes.
It would be a court that decided if it was legal not us.

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I know the legal power limit is 250w, what i am trying to find out is if the cyclotricity 500w kit is legal to ride on the road when it is in its restricted mode ( 250w ).

Is it the motor size or the power applied to it that must not exceed 250w?

I have emailed Cyclotricity several times asking this but have had no reply, and i'm beginning to wonder if their 500 and 1000w kits are legal when restricted?

Do you know if the Cyclotricity 500w kit adheres to the following European standard: EN 15194 When in restricted mode? surely someone must know?

Paul the confused.
To boil things down, to be legal the motor must be 'rated' no more than 250w. So, if the motor is rated 500w, or advertised as such, it's not legal.

No ones cares what voltage x current you use ;-)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Paulsully

Jun 8, 2016
Cambridge UK
Thanks chaps i'm a bit clearer now..

I think i'm going to go for a 250w rear motor with a 10ah battery, and an lcd that lets you program the max assisted speed limit to 15 mph, from what you said this sounds legal.

I had a go on a friends GTECK bike and was so impressed ive decided to convert my own mountainbike, this is the bike, but it has road tyres.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.DiamondBack-Sync-2-0-27-5-Mountain-Bike-2016-Hardtail-MTB_83297.htm?sku=274175&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjwyum6BRDQ-9jU4PSVxf8BEiQAu1AHqq44XfMuCdxSVB-21uOEgiHv3HAmeNMEaSF6i5ytECYaAtI28P8HAQ#

Mugatu78

May 6, 2020
Having bit of bother getting my kit fitted. Cant contact cyclotricity. Tames days for them to repky to email just now. This forum is a great help as the instructions were mince