Layback seat posts

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've had difficulty finding a comfortable postion on my ebikes, I wrongly thought before that the frame was too small. It seems that the upright seat tube (to fit the battery behind) is shifting my centre of gravity too far forward and putting my weight on my wrists. To compensate I have the saddle moved back as far as possible but still find myself sitting right on the back of the saddle to achieve a comfortable position, this results in regular broken saddles. I imagine this is a common problem on this style of bike but it took me a long time and a couple of bikes to work out, then it wasn't until I bought a smaller road bike that the problem became clear.
I have a standard setback (layback) seatpost but it isn't enough, I know more extreme examples are out there up to 45mm but I can't find them. Anyone know where I can get them or has a clever idea to help?

The upright seat tubes seem to be a modern thing so manufacturers can reduce the top tube length whilst allowing enough clearance so your feet don't hit the front tyre, I've seen many complaints but not many answers.
My Wisper:

My road bike

On the road bike my feet do catch the front wheel but at least it's more comfortable.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can get a clamp off any old saddle. I've got one that I can send you if you want it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Thanks, I'll have a look into that then. I'd assumed BMX seat posts wouldn't fit, I think it's time for a trip to the LBS to see what's in. I'd probably benefit from a trip to a bike fitter except my budget won't stretch that far.