Lcd front light query

Rabbashanks

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 6, 2019
Hey guys...
I have an s830 lcd display and the pdf manual says if i hold the up arrow it will turn on the front light.
Am i right in thinkin it can power a usb light via the phone charger port at the bottom of the display?
At the mo i just have aaa battery powered twin lights (torch style in handle bar mounted rings).

Thanks in advance

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
When you have a lights function operated by presssing a button, most of the LCDs send a signal to the controller to tell it to switch on the lights, but that only works if it has a connector for them, which most don't have. Even if it does have the connector, the power to it is very limited and it's normally battery voltage, so pretty useless for most lights.

I'm not familiar with your exact display, but what I know is that USB is 5v. It will most likely be live all the time for phone charging, etc, in which case you could power a 5v light that has a switch from it, but only low power ones. The only way you'll know you've gone over the power limit is when smoke clmes out of your LCD.

Reactions: Rabbashanks

Rabbashanks

Feb 6, 2019
When you have a lights function operated by presssing a button, most of the LCDs send a signal to the controller to tell it to switch on the lights, but that only works if it has a connector for them, which most don't have. Even if it does have the connector, the power to it is very limited and it's normally battery voltage, so pretty useless for most lights.

I'm not familiar with your exact display, but what I know is that USB is 5v. It will most likely be live all the time for phone charging, etc, in which case you could power a 5v light that has a switch from it, but only low power ones. The only way you'll know you've gone over the power limit is when smoke clmes out of your LCD.

Thanks again :) I'll stick with what I've got then.
I don't know if you remember from my first post on the forum, but we were talking about upping one of my parameters from 12a to 16 or 17a for more hill power...you said it may override P12 (setting off power), which i found out does.
I won't take up more of your time with the display questions, but I was wondering if 16a or 17a was a limit, or if i could safely take it up to 20a (the maximum allowed).

Thanks again.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can go as high as you like as long as you don't make the motor work hard at low speed. Higher current will make the bike go faster, so it can be safer to increase the current, but labouring up a long steep hill could be a problem for the controller as well as the motor.

There are too many variables for us to be able to say whether it'll be OK, so if you make a change, you should always check that things don't get too hot afterwards, and no point in checking after you've been freewheeling down a hill.

Rabbashanks

Feb 6, 2019
You can go as high as you like as long as you don't make the motor work hard at low speed. Higher current will make the bike go faster, so it can be safer to increase the current, but labouring up a long steep hill could be a problem for the controller as well as the motor.

There are too many variables for us to be able to say whether it'll be OK, so if you make a change, you should always check that things don't get too hot afterwards, and no point in checking after you've been freewheeling down a hill.

Ah i see. Thanks! So basically don't try and pure throttle up a steep or long climb but peddling up should be fine?
The majority of my journey is pretty flat except one motorway bridge, which i always peddle up anyway incase the motor claps out from the strain. I do tend to do a mix of peddle and throttle on flats.

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
Hi, You can power a light via the phone charger port at the bottom of the display if you want. It would be most likely that it is 5v@1a = 5w, you cant draw more current than what's available. Also if you wire you're own led's you could have a front and rear light.