Lease agreement

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
As virtually all new cars seem to be on a lease agreement,ie low fixed price per month for a new car with a final purchase payment,i am surprised ebike sellers have not jumped on the bandwagon,or does the battery replacement cost,make it unworkable.

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
As virtually all new cars seem to be on a lease agreement,ie low fixed price per month for a new car with a final purchase payment,i am surprised ebike sellers have not jumped on the bandwagon,or does the battery replacement cost,make it unworkable.
It is a business opportunity that is currently being missed, there is precedent with battery lease for some cars , it would be best progressed as an arm of the cycle to work scheme.

Caveat , One of the biggest influences on PCP for cars is the uncertainty of the future residual value of the vehicle.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Traditionally bikes have had a much longer life than cars. However, cars' life has increased a lot, and I think that probably typical life of a bicycle has dropped a lot, and I fear there is a risk life of an ebike might well be a lot less than life of a regular bike. That changes the equation for leasing; but a four year lease should still make sense.

I haven't been following it, but I think I saw that Renault used to do car battery leasing and have now dropped it.

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I haven't been following it, but I think I saw that Renault used to do car battery leasing and have now dropped it.
I haven’t checked, I’m fairly sure that only recently they Zoe still had a “lease charge“ for the battery

It’s all about coming up with a package that will suit, build it and they will come

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Debt is a form of slavery. Don't even think about it. If you don't have the money to buy something, you can't afford it.

The only exception might be buying a house, where you have something to secure the debt, but even so, it's a risk as prices can go down as well as up.