Leaving the battery connected to the charger

Jed

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
Hi everyone :D

sometimes when I charge my bike, or rather the battery, I forget to return and turn the charger off until many hours later when it is time to go home. Is it ok to do this? Does any harm come to the battery being left connected and would it reduce the number of potential charge cycles?

thanks
Jed

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It doesn't appear to matter Jed, although the red and green LEDs are on, nothing is being delivered, there's no trickle charge mode. If it's the Li-ion battery that you've got, that's even safer since it's inbuilt protection circuits would prevent any reverse drain. That said, it's always best to disconnect unused equipment if only for safety reasons, anything can fail.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Disconnecting the charger when charging complete

I used to do that - sometimes over night. I got so embarrassed by my stupidity (or lack of memory) I bought a cheap clock timer on a switched Socket that plugs into a standard 13 amp socket. You can set the clock for as long as you like (up to 24 hours) and to start (now or later) and finish whenever you like.
The only thing left to human frailty is "how long the recharge will take". Look at the trip odometer on the Computer and multiply by your experience of 1 charge range - Unless you forgot to zero that before the last charge :)
Itspeteinit