left-side PAS does not fit - presuming replace the bottom bracket?

Buxton

Just Joined
Feb 9, 2020
Brighton
I think my bike, which I'm currently working on installing a Woosh XF07 front hub kit on, has a weird/stupid sort of shape or size to the axle taper. I just can't get the KT-V12L left-side PAS to slide anywhere near fully-on. This photo shows as far as I can get it with employing only "reasonable force". I suspect the shape or sizing of the axle on my bike (a Carrera Crossfire 2 2015 from Halfords) is abnormal. I had checked clearance between BB and crank before ordering, but it had not occurred to me that the axle/taper geometry itself might be capable of being wrong.

IMG_20200314_181856.jpg

At pretty much the front of the square taper on the axle, the square-shape is a bit over 13mm across, but measuring across where it is fully round (with callipers up against the bottom bracket edge) gives a diameter of 16.77mm which I would assume is abnormally chunky.

IMG_20200314_184406.jpg

I was expecting to possibly need to file a little bit off the inner surface of the crank to get from the 6.5mm of clearance I'd measured, up to the recommended 7mm, but I can't see any sensible way of making the KT-V12L fit around the axle I currently have.

I'm not bothered by the idea of replacing the bottom bracket, presumably with Woosh's standard suggestion, if that's the appropriate way forward. I picked up a cheap "general bike tool kit" off Amazon to get me the crank puller and it included a BB-removal tool as well which I have checked and it's the proper fit. Plus, doing that would have a good chance of removing the crank-filing task from my build.

One thing I don't know about, because I'm new to being my own bike mechanic, is will the square holes on my existing cranks "play nicely" with replacing the BB with one whose axel has a more "normal" size and shape of taper? Or are they matched very specifically to the weirdo taper on the existing axel and hence also needing to be replaced?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Buxton

Just Joined
Feb 9, 2020
Brighton
That new BB is now installed and the KT-V12L was a nice sensible press-fit in to place around the new axle. Only slight delay was having to order in a 24" breaker bar to get the old one out because there was no damn way it was coming free with the tools I had before bringing in a much bigger lever.

Cranks have gone back on and there's just a little hint of daylight between crank inside edge and PAS body. I can see why people are against the KT-V12L but it looks really damn neat now successfully installed.

Reactions: Woosh

Advertisers