Lets Discuss an Ebike friendly sticker campaign........

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
OK.....well, carried over from the recent thread about the problems of re charging whilst on the move.......

Any thoughts and ideas on the pros and cons of designing/printing stickers for members to distribute to anyone willing to participate and to help promote ebiking by allowing partial recharges of batteries whilst out and about on our travels.

Discuss ?

Lynda :)

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Could we/should we use this forum's logo or a variation of it?

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Great to see some enthusiasm and interest in this idea!

As a suggestion, it might be better for someone with some design experience to design a simple website and a simple logo for the sticker.. first stage would be to register a catchy domain name like stopandcharge.net / stopandcharge.org.uk, cyclecharge.net / cyclecharge.org.uk. Perhaps someone else can come up with a better name?

Getting the type of vinyl stickers printed that go in windows wouldn't be too expensive, I've dealt with printers in the past and probably looking at less than £200 for a decent quantity of a 500 or so.

What might be an idea is, we form a team of volunteers to operate the site and roll out the scheme, but seek to get it funded by the ebike industry.. we could approach each manufacturer and ask them to donate a small amount to get it started...whatever seems reasonable, £50-£100? In return, we'll allow them each to be listed on the website as sponsors with a small ad and link to their website? Another possible revenue source might be some kind of government grant as it's certainly promoting their greener economy policy while helping a new industry (ebikes) and also small businesses and their communities.

The website itself could be kept very simple just a couple of pages, one to explain what the scheme is about and how it works, how much charging batteries cost etc.. and then we could use some freeware directory software to list all the establishments which have joined the scheme.. You can browse by county/town or search. A website modeled on cycle-route.com might work well?

Businesses could either sign up online themselves, or bike owners could leaflet them/go in in their locality and ask if you want to join and give them the url? Each business could be allowed to enter some details of what they do/sell and upload a photo and directions maybe, or we could find a way to link google maps or cyclestreets.net.. It would be open to any kind of establishment, from a pub/guest-house, to a corner shop or even dentists etc? Our aim would be to build a nationwide network of charge points to extend the range ebikers can travel ultimately. We could even have "emergency" charge points which are private houses, if other ebike owners are willing? These wouldn't have stickers or be advertised, but be could be found on the website and identified as private residential areas? Just have some general rules about using these places, like phone/email first, don't turn up unannounced or late at night etc.

I don't know if it would be worth establishing a charging fee but I think it might be unreasonable to expect some people to use their facilities without paying in some cases? How about, if it's a guesthouse/pub or whatever, if you use the facilities the charging is free. But if it's a place you aren't going to provide any custom, you pay a small fee, i.e. £1 - £1.50 an hour? We could set the rate on our website nationally which all members agree to? At least such a small charge would protect establishments in busy areas from a big electric bill if several people a day were charging (unlikely) plus it would help cover wear and tear etc. If we don't establish a fee system from the start, we could certainly leave it open for future as more people get ebikes, so members don't feel it might become a financial burden and be put off joining?

To start the ball rolling I don't mind registering the domain and doing the website if nobody else fancies it..I do have experience as a web developer and have my own hosting facilities and business contacts.

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
other names..

bikecharge.net / bikecharge.co.uk / bikecharge.org.uk

chargingpoint.org.uk

Feel free to make suggestions, perhaps we could make a short list of the most popular and vote on it?

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Could we/should we use this forum's logo or a variation of it?
That would be a good idea and we could link the two websites, the power point site could be a sister site to this one? Perhaps use the cycle part of the logo and put different words below it?

Alternatively could do something that stands out more, like yellow triangle with a battery icon inside, something instantly recognisable from a distance.

Something like this I made quickly earlier...

Last edited:

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
bikecharge.net / bikecharge.co.uk / bikecharge.org.uk

chargingpoint.org.uk

Feel free to make suggestions, perhaps we could make a short list of the most popular and vote on it?
chargingpost ..

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Excellent input and great Morphix if you could do the website.......we must put plenty thought into the name.....hopefully will get lots more ideas......but I like cyclecharge :)

As to charging.....two thoughts.....it would be simpler if it was free and based on the hope by the participant that they would benefit by possible sales etc......bit like Brit Stops and French Passion.......but if it was decided to charge I think £1 to£1.50 an hour is too high as this is way above the actual cost of electricity......and isnt there some legislation about not profiting from electricity use ?
Didnt this cause the Caravan Club some initial problems I seem to remember ?.....not sure as I'm not a member but I seem to remember lots of letters about it in Motorhome mags.

Great idea to ask the trade to contribute to the cost of setting up/printing etc.....plus they would get their businesses advertised on the web site......moving on from this.......surely this could be the incentive....free advertising to participants providing the charging point ?

Personally I think it would be better to offer the facility with no charge for it first and see how it goes......

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Aa/rac?

What about the AA, RAC, etc ... If their vans had a charge point that could be opened much like a petrol cap then when you see one you could cycle up and plug in. You wouldn't have to call them out just find out where a van is and go there! ..

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Yes, maybe a picture of a bike plus yellow triangle with battery in it and keep it simple, domain name around the outside .....like 'electric bike charging post' dot whatever

No problem then.....it says exactly what it is....
a charging post for an electric bike.....simples :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
What about the AA, RAC, etc ... If their vans had a charge point that could be opened much like a petrol cap then when you see one you could cycle up and plug in. You wouldn't have to call them out just find out where a van is and go there! ..
Trust you Alan.....what you after.....a free tow ride LOL

I have visions of you speeding along the road happily hooked up to the convenient AA van....whilst doing some ongoing fiddling to your various bike appendages :)

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Excellent input and great Morphix if you could do the website.......we must put plenty thought into the name.....hopefully will get lots more ideas......but I like cyclecharge :)

As to charging.....two thoughts.....it would be simpler if it was free and based on the hope by the participant that they would benefit by possible sales etc......bit like Brit Stops and French Passion.......but if it was decided to charge I think £1 to£1.50 an hour is too high as this is way above the actual cost of electricity......and isnt there some legislation about not profiting from electricity use ?
Didnt this cause the Caravan Club some initial problems I seem to remember ?.....not sure as I'm not a member but I seem to remember lots of letters about it in Motorhome mags.

Great idea to ask the trade to contribute to the cost of setting up/printing etc.....plus they would get their businesses advertised on the web site......moving on from this.......surely this could be the incentive....free advertising to participants providing the charging point ?

Personally I think it would be better to offer the facility with no charge for it first and see how it goes......

Get the Caravan Club on board!
Also Canal Boat owners ...

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I agree, lets take some time over the name and not rush into it... it looks like we have the nucleus of a team between the three of us? :D

If we can come up with a name which can be incorporated into the logo and is easy to remember, so much the better.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Chargingpost is a great simple name Alan. It's only available as org.uk I just checked..have to make sure no other sites using the name are similar or conflicting on trademarks. Shouldn't be a problem though. Let's add it to top of the short list?

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk

Good points Lynda. I agree free is probably the way to go at least for long as it's possible. We could make it clear on the site though that we would deal with charging at a future date if ebikes ever become so mainstream that it became a practical or economic burden on charge-point businesses? Just a simple statement might give them some reassurance. And of course, they would be free to withdraw from the scheme at any time anyway.

I thought perhaps having a charge might encourage a higher take up rate, but perhaps we could try and encourage places to join free on the basis it will boost their business as you suggested.

I definitely think we need some industry participation though on the funding side. Even if they each donate just £20 or whatever... we could just do a big mailing to every manufacturer and retailer, maybe after the site is setup and encourage donations/sponsor registration..businesses are allowed to make small donations anyway which are tax deductible and it's good advertising for them.

We should probably expect this to be a very small scale thing and long term project. Probably with a slow trickle of new charge points added with the help of volunteers from this site. It could take many years but I think once the site is setup it should virtually run itself and then its just a case of someone mailing or handing out stickers to premises in each area of the country or perhaps one person who is retired with plenty of time on their hands could do it centrally?

Do you reckon it's worth us researching the idea first and speaking to some local businesses to see what the vibe is? Or should we just go ahead with the website and idea and if it fails to ever take off, we haven't lost much except our time?

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Good points Lynda. I agree free is probably the way to go at least for long as it's possible. We could make it clear on the site though that we would deal with charging at a future date if ebikes ever become so mainstream that it became a practical or economic burden on charge-point businesses? Just a simple statement might give them some reassurance. And of course, they would be free to withdraw from the scheme at any time anyway.

I thought perhaps having a charge might encourage a higher take up rate, but perhaps we could try and encourage places to join free on the basis it will boost their business as you suggested.

I definitely think we need some industry participation though on the funding side. Even if they each donate just £20 or whatever... we could just do a big mailing to every manufacturer and retailer, maybe after the site is setup and encourage donations/sponsor registration..businesses are allowed to make small donations anyway which are tax deductible and it's good advertising for them.

We should probably expect this to be a very small scale thing and long term project. Probably with a slow trickle of new charge points added with the help of volunteers from this site. It could take many years but I think once the site is setup it should virtually run itself and then its just a case of someone mailing or handing out stickers to premises in each area of the country or perhaps one person who is retired with plenty of time on their hands could do it centrally?

Do you reckon it's worth us researching the idea first and speaking to some local businesses to see what the vibe is? Or should we just go ahead with the website and idea and if it fails to ever take off, we haven't lost much except our time?
I think we should go ahead with the idea and website... as you say, we wont lose much except our time... and I am a great believer in striking while the idea is hot.

If you are willing to set up the website that will be fantastic.......we need to decide on the name and get more response from other members ......where are you guys ?.......lets see what response we get from other members over the next day or so and then go for it.

Personally, I can be very persuasive :).... and am sure I would get some take up in this area.

If every member who is really motivated and behind the idea.....how could you not be......takes it on themselves to then approach any suitable businesses around their area I think we will be pleasantly surprised with the response......and you know what they say.....

Great oaks from little acorns grow.......:)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
BIKE CHARGING POST.......is that available ?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
yes it is on 123......bikecharging post .co.uk.......£5.98 for 2 years

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I think we should go ahead with the idea and website... as you say, we wont lose much except our time... and I am a great believer in striking while the idea is hot.

If you are willing to set up the website that will be fantastic.......we need to decide on the name and get more response from other members ......where are you guys ?.......lets see what response we get from other members over the next day or so and then go for it.

Personally, I can be very persuasive :).... and am sure I would get some take up in this area.

If every member who is really motivated and behind the idea.....how could you not be......takes it on themselves to then approach any suitable businesses around their area I think we will be pleasantly surprised with the response......and you know what they say.....

Great oaks from little acorns grow.......:)

Sounds good! OK well we have floated the idea and now as you say, the first stage is to agree upon a name. We have some good ideas already so let's see if anyone can come up with anything better... shall we allow the rest of the week to mull over further ideas and then take a vote from a short-list on it at the weekend? Once we have decided on a name I will register the domain name and setup a basic website, then we can discuss ideas on how to take the site and logo forward etc.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Good Plan :)

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I'm all for going fast! .... but I would like to have some more input from other members ...I would suggest at least a 2 week period of contemplation?