Lidl saddles (wittkop Medicus) gel or foam

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
i have two of these saddles on two bikes, one being old, well used And in need of replacement (possibility Covered upto 5 thousand miles)
I’ve been looking to get the same again, now I’m seeing there’s two version of the trekking saddle, gel or memory foam. The gel one is quite elusive atm and those there available are twice the price of the foam version (Under £20 vs Well over £30) when in stock Lidl’s are about £10 ;)

has anyone tried both versions, is there any real difference between the two.
The gel saddle has done me well so I wouldn’t want to buy the foam version if its in any way inferior too the gel.
(lidl cycling sale is back on in a week but there not show saddles online)

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire
i have two of these saddles on two bikes, one being old, well used And in need of replacement (possibility Covered upto 5 thousand miles)
I’ve been looking to get the same again, now I’m seeing there’s two version of the trekking saddle, gel or memory foam. The gel one is quite elusive atm and those there available are twice the price of the foam version (Under £20 vs Well over £30) when in stock Lidl’s are about £10 ;)

has anyone tried both versions, is there any real difference between the two.
The gel saddle has done me well so I wouldn’t want to buy the foam version if its in any way inferior too the gel.
(lidl cycling sale is back on in a week but there not show saddles online)
I might have a new unused gel (I think) one you can have if you like? I'll dig it out and check in a bit.

Oops, just checked, it's memory foam sorry. I bought 2 cos they were recommended on here but I prefer the Aldi Bikemate ones.

Maybe if I'd managed to find the gel ones in the first place, I would've preferred these! I hadn't realised there were different types.

Last edited:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
What a plonker (that’s me)
turns out I had one of each with realising, the memory foam one has covered about 2,000 miles and still looks and feels good. The gel on the other hand has been on several bikes and must have done at least 4,000 miles.
On close inspection the gel must be braking down, with a really good Thumb press I can just feel underlying frame. This isn’t felt when I first sit on the bike but I think that as I ride the saddle warms, the padding softens and the frame work is felt, ouch :rolleyes: particularly noticeable During this lockdown as my shortest ride takes 1hour but at least once a week I like to ride for 3 to 4hrs o_O
I've found a new foam type on the bay for £17 so should be sitting pretty within a few days :cool:

PS: I should answer my own question,
when both saddles were in good order I didn’t notice any difference between them (hence me thinking they were both gel) :D
PPS: I’ve just received notice my new saddle has been dispatched, les than half hour after placing the order :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: xena

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
What a plonker (that’s me)
turns out I had one of each with realising, the memory foam one has covered about 2,000 miles and still looks and feels good. The gel on the other hand has been on several bikes and must have done at least 4,000 miles.
On close inspection the gel must be braking down, with a really good Thumb press I can just feel underlying frame. This isn’t felt when I first sit on the bike but I think that as I ride the saddle warms, the padding softens and the frame work is felt, ouch :rolleyes: particularly noticeable During this lockdown as my shortest ride takes 1hour but at least once a week I like to ride for 3 to 4hrs o_O
I've found a new foam type on the bay for £17 so should be sitting pretty within a few days :cool:

PS: I should answer my own question,
when both saddles were in good order I didn’t notice any difference between them (hence me thinking they were both gel) :D
PPS: I’ve just received notice my new saddle has been dispatched, les than half hour after placing the order :cool:
Was some yrs ago I got a Gel saddle new bought online , and I didn't really
feel any difference to be honest , but again go by price you pay I guess.