Help! Lights - again!

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I have one of these:

It's very good at lighting the otherwise unlit roads I ride. It's extremely bright and has oncoming drivers dipping their lights before rounding a corner, of course this means I have to dip too. That means taking my hand off the bar as the control button is on the back of the lamp. Also it has developed an annoyong fault of turning itself of If I hit a bump or rough bit of road. Did it last night at about 30mph coming down the hill into my village.:eek:

So I need to find something else. Anyone know of something v.bright, with and external dip switch?
I run the current one from one of these:

Although I'm not averse to wiring into the bikes main 36v.

Could this be another protracted lighting thread? Lets see what the worlds markets can throw up:)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

i have the same light and batt box but imo it is the batt box cutting out as did it on mine till i pulled the springs out so the cells could not move anymore, the light is crap tho !

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I don't bother changing the light's mode when there's oncoming cars, I leave it on high and have it held with those rubber band straps and simply push the whole light forwards, then pull it back. Seems to work ok.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I do that too, thing is it still means taking my hand off the grip. Doesn't seem like much but if it happens on a downhill stretch with rough surface, (road surfaces around here can be pretty crap) it can get a bit iffy.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Get real... A bicycle lamp will be 5 watts, car headlights will be around 120 up to 200 watts. The only reason why bike lights seem bright is because ones eyes have accustomed to the darkness . Seen by a incoming car they are just visible.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Get real... A bicycle lamp will be 5 watts, car headlights will be around 120 up to 200 watts. The only reason why bike lights seem bright is because ones eyes have accustomed to the darkness . Seen by a incoming car they are just visible.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
It's not as simple as that. I have a pen Laser not much bigger than a small cigar, I can shine it's light on trees more than half a mile away, a car headlight wouldn't get a look in...so how come ?

Well as we all know a Laser uses a concentrated amplified beam of light that doesn't spread so it's intense in one spot only. Modern LED car headlights are very bright because they concentrate their light in a narrower area too as do bike lights. It's not that bike lights are stronger than car lights, they're just more concentrated to a smaller area.
If you look directly at a LED car headlight on full beam it'll blind you for a second, if you look at some of these bike lights full face they'll damage your retinas permanently.
My bike lights came with a warning not to look straight at them, but there's no mention of any such dangers concerning my LED car lights in the manual....funny that.

• Agree
Reactions: ebiker99
D

Deleted member 25121

Most common car headlight bulbs are 55W and the light from this is spread over a much wider area than that from a cycle 5W light. Cycle lights can appear just as distracting as car headlights.
If I'm driving and get partly blinded by a high intensity car or cycle light coming the other way I put my lights on main beam to help me see better, would you like cars doing that to you?

Reactions: Fat Rat

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Just did an experiment. connected the light but took the battery pack off the frame. Bounced the front of the bike on the floor, light stayed on. Rattled the battery pack and, hey presto, the dam thing switched off. Thank you SW.
Have cleaned one of the button terminals in the base of the pack and all now seems OK. Just given the pack a jolly good rattling and it seems to be holding. I'm glad because it's a really good light and now I have 35E's in the pack, it's giving a really good capacity.
SW, you said you took the springs out, what did you do?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just pull the springs to make them longer so the cell cant move as much or put something in the bottom card ect.

Advertisers