Lightweight stepthrough for motorhome

Jennyren

Just Joined
Jun 11, 2022
I’m looking for a lightweight bike with an upright Dutch style riding position and a low stepthrough frame as I’m now in my mid 70s. My present bike at 27kg takes up too much payload on our campervan. It’s fine to ride, but difficult to manoeuvre or lift on to the bike rack. It wouldn’t be worth changing unless I can get the weight down to 20kg or less. I use my bike on roads, but also on occasional tracks such as the Tissington trail and my rides are never above 30 miles nowadays. So far I’ve eliminated these: Islabike Janis - super light but no lights, bell or mudguards, straight handlebars I can’t easily reach and it can’t accept the Mahle range extender, Specialized turbo Vado SL - very high step through, very expensive, and would need the complication of changing the handlebars, Ribble Urban Al e - unobtainable and I haven’t even managed to see one. The only possible bike I’ve found is the Orbea Optima E40 with true low step through, swept back handlebars and Mahle system, weighing around 19kg. I don’t want a folder because of the small wheels. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My present bike at 27kg takes up too much payload on our campervan
27kgs is heavier than most step through e-bikes. Which bike is it?
Dutch step through bike frames are heavier than step over frames because the main curved tube is much thicker to avoid flex.
For many e-bikes, the lighter weight is usually achieved with better crankset and wheels and forgoing on the suspension fork. There is not much difference in the electrics, motors will come in between 2.5kgs to 3kgs. Battery weight depends mainly on capacity, a 17AH (630WH) battery weighs about twice as much as an 8AH battery but you can remove the battery before loading the bike onto your rack.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Removing the battery, will of course not help in the OP quest to reduce the amount of the campervan payload an e bike takes; though opting for reduced range will of course.
IME, the issue can come with recharging unless camping on or with access to a mains electrical supply. So we tend to like capacity to do enough cycling trips between recharging opportunities, hence rather heavy batteries.
Cracking a really practical way to recharge whilst off a mains supply, would be one effective way to live with a low capacity, thus low weight battery; sized for the individual bike ride, rather than the sum of the rides during the camping trip duration.

Jennyren

Just Joined
Jun 11, 2022
Many manufacturers do not list the bike weights, or they list the weight without the battery. We have asked to see bikes weighed and even taken our own scales. Bikes with a Bosch system or a cadence system with rear hub motor generally weigh at least 25kg. Islabike, Ribble and Orbea have all produced stepthrough bikes with lighter frames and the Mahle X35 system which weighs 3.5 kg including the battery. Specialized have developed their own lightweight motor. These bikes range between 14 and 19 kg total, but some do not have the upright riding position we need. I think we shall buy the Orbea as the only bike suitable, but I’d like to know if there are any others. Many motorhome owners are older people so there is a market for the type of bike I’m seeking. With a limit of 3,500kg on the typical motorhome the weight of 2 electric bikes and a carrier is an issue.

Jennyren

Just Joined
Jun 11, 2022
Removing the battery, will of course not help in the OP quest to reduce the amount of the campervan payload an e bike takes; though opting for reduced range will of course.
IME, the issue can come with recharging unless camping on or with access to a mains electrical supply. So we tend to like capacity to do enough cycling trips between recharging opportunities, hence rather heavy batteries.
Cracking a really practical way to recharge whilst off a mains supply, would be one effective way to live with a low capacity, thus low weight battery; sized for the individual bike ride, rather than the sum of the rides during the camping trip duration.
You are right. However, on our cycling holidays we will always be on a campsite with electric hookup. Therefore we only need a battery for 30 miles or less.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that is an interesting concept. However, consider this: a typical 18650 3500mAH cell that you find in most good e-bikes holds 12.6WH, enough for about 2 miles on a flat road, weighs only 48g-50g, 1kg for 40 miles. Is it worth cutting down on battery because of their weight?

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
l would recommend the Mirider 1

lt's lightweight around 17kg has a good range of power levels and also rear suspension which makes a big difference on rougher roads and tracks.

l've done 400 miles on mine since buying it a couple of months ago, and it's great fun. lt folds up and fits into a bag, easy to keep in the caravan or car when travelling

lt also goes well on sand!

E3E4EFF6-5AF5-4752-8F30-AE2D362005F7.jpeg

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Many motorhome owners are older people so there is a market for the type of bike I’m seeking.
The one that always seems to appear at the National Camping and Caravan/Motorhome shows is the Raleigh Stow-e-way. They claim that has an all-up weight of 20kg and a range of 30 miles.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
27kgs is heavier than most step through e-bikes
27kg is heavier than most 170mm full suss enduro's :oops:

One of the problems with the cheaper type 'city' or so type bikes is all the parts are cheap and heavyweight. The basic suntour fork we see is coil and weighs about 6lbs. , steel bars, steel stems etc. All adds up.
With a bit of time and money you could build something considerably lighter.
eg - A Hope bb is 110grams. A basic shimano we see on the majority of cheaper models weighs 285g. Thats 6 ounces of a difference in that single component.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
My Mirider weighs 17kg, that's light enough to lift into the back of a car when folded.

The Raleigh looks okay, but it's more expensive, 3kg heavier, and doesn't have disc brakes.
Plus it's generally larger but should still fit in any caravan or motor home when folded.

Mirider claim "up to 48 miles range" but half that is more realistic, from my experience. l would imagine the Raleigh will manage similar.

Also the rear suspension makes a big difference to ride comfort on anything but smooth roads. Not sure l would have one with no suspension now.

Last edited:

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
The O/P hasn't been back since posting his question.

Hopefully the advice given above by people who took the time to write it won't be wasted, and someone else will find it useful.