Lithium-ion 18650 cells £1.00 each. Cardiff

Andrew

Pedelecer
Oct 30, 2010
Hi, is there any interest in the following,

I have managed to obtain a small crate of lithium 18650 cells all from refurbished lap tops.

They are various brands, sanyo, sony, samsung.
All are at least 2Ah cells if not over, so should be treated as 2ah.
Specs: 4.2v fully charged.
3.7v nominal
Protected battery cut off 2.7v
A very safe chemistry for home built packs.
The higher the amp hour (paralleled) battery build the better max amps. 12ah will easily give 25 amps in my opinion. 30 amp max with 16 or 18ah but there will be noticeable voltage sag if used this high for more than peak moments.
I believe the cells are all 2C current discharge rated.

I am currently balancing and testing the cells which will take some time.

I have been using 18650 cells myself for over the past 3 years from the same source as the ones i am advertising here with no problems. I currently use them with my bafang BPM 216 rpm motor at 25 amp peaks on 54v 8ah pack and that does any easy 10 miles. I have also used them on a magic pie and have built packs for friends.
I have built a number of packs and could also offer this service too, so you could have a battery pack ready to go if that would suit you, but of course this would come at a little extra cost due to needing an in-line fuse and connector and wires etc, and my precious time.

I would sell 20 cells at a time minimum which would be the equivalent of a 42v 4Ah pack.

The only problem is they cannot be posted , so pick up only at the moment.

I live 5 minutes from Junction 28 or 30 off the M4 motorway in Cardiff.

Send me a personal message if interested.

As stated above the cells are currently being balanced and tested so they are not quite ready to be picked up.

Thanks everyone

Andrew

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

What exactly is the designation of the cells? Can you give us an example? I've never heard of laptop ones that can do 30 amps. Even the good ones like Samsung 22Ps sag quite a bit at 2C, which would be 4 amps. Normal laptop ones are only good for 1C if you're lucky.

Andrew

Pedelecer
Oct 30, 2010
They are 2C rated, yes they will sag if used at 30 amps, 25 amp peak they do easily in a pack of 54v 8ah. I am only going on what experiences i have had with them over the past few years. Of course 18650 cells sag but are still a good safe and reliable chemistry as proved over the years. They are not lipos but even lipos sag. Sorry if i have worded the advert improperly. That is not my intention. I just have more cells than i can use myself and i got them from a friend who runs an electronics refurbishing company. Some are in pairs loose so i cannot be sure they are from lap tops but some are still in lap top cases, so i have advertised as such.
I am currently balancing them, which will take time and then i will leave them sit for a week or more to make sure they retain their voltage.

As you can see from the price all they cost me was a 4 hour round trip in my car to pick them up, so i just want to get a bit back from them and keep some fro myself.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I think it would be better if you put up the actual designation of the cells. Most people that make their own batteries are normally familiar with the designations.

It might also help if you put up some detail photos of your battery so people can see what's involved.

Andrew

Pedelecer
Oct 30, 2010
If i get the time i will photograph the cells and how i make the packs for myself. I am just trying to be helpful, i was not expecting the spanish inquisition to step in. The cells are pick up only so they can be tested and seen in person before any money changes hands. If you feel the advert is inappropriate, i will remove it. I would much prefer to sell the cells as cells , i will only sell as packs if a potential buyer trusts me to do that for them.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I'm interested only if you can sell batch of cells of same capacity and resistance.

Over 2.2ah would be nice too

Thx

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Actually if these are 1C cell I'm looking over 2.5ah

Andrew

Pedelecer
Oct 30, 2010
I am still looking into the capacities of the differing cells. They do differ, some are 2.5ah, others 2.2ah, some are 2.0. That is why i would prefer to sell them as 2ah cells.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
do you have quantity and manufacturing date codes for the CGR18650C/D/E?

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't mean to give you a hard time, but there's some naieve people, who might think that all they have to do is connect up these batteries and away they go with their BPM at 25 amps. TheCGR18650Ds shown in the photo are specified at 4.6 amps max, so an 8 aH pack (4P) can only safely give 18.4 amps max. You can draw more than that, but they won't last very long, which is no problem if you have a boxful of free replacements. If somebody wants 25 amps, a 12aH (6P) pack or more would be much better.

I don't think that your price is bad for what you're doing, so I'm not trying to spoil your project. I just want to make people aware of the limitations.

Andrew

Pedelecer
Oct 30, 2010
I totally understand what you have to say. As always the more ah's the better. I just use a small pack to get back and fore work no problems with peaks of 25 amps on steep hills and take off. Perhaps i should re- phrase the advert.

How's about i post up some battery makes and codes and forum members can give the specs of the cells i have?

Last edited:

Andrew

Pedelecer
Oct 30, 2010
Panasonic CGR 18650 D = 2.35ah
Panasonic CGR 18650 AF = 2.05ah

SAMSUNG ICR18650 - 22E = 2.2ah
- 20C = 2.0ah
-26C = 2.6ah

Sanyo UR18650 FH = 2.0ah
- F = 2.4ah
- Y = 1.9ah
- FJ = 2.2ah
- FM = 2.6ah

LG CS3 18650 = may be 3ah, not sure.

There may be a few others too.

Last edited:

Andrew

Pedelecer
Oct 30, 2010
do you have quantity and manufacturing date codes for the CGR18650C/D/E?
I have a good 40 of the D's , may be a few more.

Is their a way i can find out the differing resistances of the differing cells?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Any decent lipo charger can measure resistance.

Value may not be accurate, but it's enough to get consistent resistance between cells.

Do you have these 3AH cells for 1GBP?

Andrew

Pedelecer
Oct 30, 2010
The LGCS3 cells are 3ah but i don't have enough to make a pack, i only have 16 cells, same as these... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-Of-2-x-Li-Ion-Battery-LGCS3-18650-4-2V-3Ah-3000mAh-Cell-1-YEAR-WARRANTY-/330842727382

The largest number of cells i have are the sanyo's and most still need stripping down from the lap top cases.

I have ordered an impedance meter, but i do have a lipo charger here. I will check today if it will measure resistance.

I will not sell any until i feel they are all up to the job. I have currently trickle charged the samsung D's and AF's at 0.6ah each.

Last edited:

Andrew

Pedelecer
Oct 30, 2010
Just a quick update
i have about 64 Panasonic CGR 18650 D cells which are 2.35ah each with a 2C current peak which could make a 42v 14ah pack with 60 cells. Or a 54v 9 ah pack with 54 cells.

I have been tearing down more cases today so still a lot to go through and charge and then test.

Andrew

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
The LGCS3 cells are 3ah but i don't have enough to make a pack, i only have 16 cells, same as these... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-Of-2-x-Li-Ion-Battery-LGCS3-18650-4-2V-3Ah-3000mAh-Cell-1-YEAR-WARRANTY-/330842727382

The largest number of cells i have are the sanyo's and most still need stripping down from the lap top cases.

I have ordered an impedance meter, but i do have a lipo charger here. I will check today if it will measure resistance.

I will not sell any until i feel they are all up to the job. I have currently trickle charged the samsung D's and AF's at 0.6ah each.

Hi Andrew, I'm interested in some or all of these higher capacity cells for some 18650 flashlights. Perhaps you could pm me?

Thanks