Live cable connection.

jimmydoc

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 23, 2019
Hi, I'm replacing the battery on my Pulse Ebike with a chinese battery, but the battery has arrived almost fully charged (37volts) with no way to switch it off. As the red wire is live, how do I safely couple it to my controller? Do I have to discharge the battery ? If so, how do I do that safely? (not too hot with electrics)
I also see that the battery charger cable that comes with the battery has a standard negative/positive push in end that plugs into the battery, rather than a 5 pin push in end. Does this mean that there is no protection inside the battery pack? Thanks for any help, Norrie.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
37 volts is approx. 50% charge and not 100%, you need to plug it in to charge up and should see 41.5 - 42v for a fully charged 36v battery.
You can't discharge a lion battery to a safe level other wise it would be only fit for recycling, even at minimum voltage (30 - 32v) a battery will still be a potent force.
Soldering battery cables direct from a battery usually only occurs with LIPO hobby packs, as long as wiring isn't allowed to short then it is safe. All wire ends should be isolated/protected with a bit of tape or similar and only one wire at a time should be cut/soldered, then any bare joint should be protected with a covering of heat shrink if a connector isn't utilised.
The battery should sit in a cradle/receiver usually supplied with the battery, simply remove the battery/case from said receiver and wire the receiver with no power.

Better still show us a pic of your new battery.
The charger pin is quite normal and sounds like it is a std 5.5 x 2.1 or 2.5 dc socket one, the battery will/should have a BMS inside.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One thing you MUST do before attempting to carry out any connections is to confirm with a meter that the battery polarity is correct other wise you will see a flash and possibly KFF's. It has been known for China batteries to have reverse polarity, any miss connection can damage the battery and controller.
With a meter place the Red and Black probes to the same corresponding wires on the battery/receiver, a bad or wrong polarity connected battery will show up with a minus symbol in front of the voltage reading.
Anyone who thinks of wiring there own electronics should always have a meter at hand to carry out basic checks first to prevent accidents happening.

Last edited:

jimmydoc

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 23, 2019
I've just noticed the cradle/ receiver you mentioned, separated the two and of course I've disconnected the power supply from the battery! Now I can connect safely. You've also given me peace of mind about the BMS protection . I'll now charge my battery fully. Can't thank you enough for your help, and your speedy reply.

Advertisers