Lock at work advice

Charlotte

Just Joined
Jun 15, 2020
Hi

got my cube nature and love it. Cycling everywhere and want to try commuting. It’s 5 miles each way and not a lot to most but would be an achievement for me!!

my problem is, although I can check up on my bike regularly during my work shift, the bike parking bit does not have ‘normal’ looking bikes racks. It has just a bit that comes away from the wall and only allows you to reach the back or front wheel head on. I went and had a look today and people are only able to put a chain around the back wheel and the bike parking Bit. Obviously I want to be able to lock my bikes frame AND the wheel.

Would it work if I locked the back wheel to the pull out bike thing. And then put another lock around my wheel and my frame?

Gooseman

Pedelecer
May 12, 2020
angus
Hi

got my cube nature and love it. Cycling everywhere and want to try commuting. It’s 5 miles each way and not a lot to most but would be an achievement for me!!

my problem is, although I can check up on my bike regularly during my work shift, the bike parking bit does not have ‘normal’ looking bikes racks. It has just a bit that comes away from the wall and only allows you to reach the back or front wheel head on. I went and had a look today and people are only able to put a chain around the back wheel and the bike parking Bit. Obviously I want to be able to lock my bikes frame AND the wheel.

Would it work if I locked the back wheel to the pull out bike thing. And then put another lock around my wheel and my frame?
lockandcable.jpg
How about a d-lock and cable combo?

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Nothing is full proof, but a good chain and padlock that you can leave locked at the bike stand at work so you do not need to carry it might work well in your situation.

You could buy exactly the right length/weight of chain you need from somewhere like a hardware store. You need enough chain to be able to loop it through both wheels and frame.

As I am sure you do, remove the battery and LCD screen if possible and put them in your work locker. You might even be able to top your battery up at work.

I would also replace any quick release wheel skewers and seat tube with a bolt/allen key set up cheaply bought from amazon or ebay.

If you have a choice of bike stands choose a well lit one in the busiest location possible with cctv camera coverage.

Best possible solution is to put it in a storage room/locker room at work away from public access. That is what I am lucky enough to do at my place of work.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I just got an Onguard Pitbull U lock and cable for £40, "Sold secure gold" insurance rated.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Parking a nice electric bike in the same spot every day while you're at work is asking for trouble. Obviously it depends somewhat on the circumstances of the location.

Apart from someone interfering with your bike, there's also the problem of it getting wet.

joelectric

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2019
Motherwell
I wouldn't leave my bike outside for too long, sun, rain, condensation will just shorten it's lifetime.
Best bet is trying to speak with the facilities manager at you work and ask him if you can store it somewhere inside. Its very rare someone will just say no.