Wisper Locking a Wisper Folding Bike 806

Webfolk

Just Joined
Jun 26, 2020
Shrewsbury
We have two Wisper 806 folding bikes on order and we are looking into all the options. Security is a priority.
We have concluded a Gold ‘sold secure‘ lock is the only way forward that would be covered by our insurance.
Are there any locks people would recommend bearing in mind the peculiar nature of the frame?
We need to be able to secure the rear wheel and downpipe to a fixed location.
Thanks in advance.

geoff

Attachments

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
We have two Wisper 806 folding bikes on order and we are looking into all the options. Security is a priority.
We have concluded a Gold ‘sold secure‘ lock is the only way forward that would be covered by our insurance.
Are there any locks people would recommend bearing in mind the peculiar nature of the frame?
We need to be able to secure the rear wheel and downpipe to a fixed location.
Thanks in advance.

geoff
Nothing stopping you adding extra heavy chain locks for each wheel to frame and to a stanchion or similar and electronic vibration alarms is there?
Andy

al.b

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2018
lancashire
Hi Geoff

I have a wisper 806 folder myself and bought a kryptonite - kryptolok series 2 gold secured lock a few years ago. You get the lock itself and an additional armoured cable(plus bike bracket) to extend the range, I have found this to be pretty good and you can also register your keys in case you should loose them. It is heavy mind but has never bothered me. Yes the insurers insist on a sold secure lock
alex

ps I should also warn you about transporting and storage! I lock my bike inside my car to one of the locking points, insurers always refer to an immovable object! also as I found out if its car or caravan etc you need to remove it to after use to its primary place of registration,this is usually your home but again it must be locked to an immovable object. My insurers agreed to underwrite only is the bike wasn't visible whilst in my car besides being locked, if in doubt speak to them before insuring ps very good bike:)

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You have to consider the risks and their probability. If you want to cover every possible risk all the time, you'd need all sorts of heavy hardware that you'd have to carry while riding, which will spoil your ride.

If you go out for country rides and have a break at a village pub, the chance of a thief passing by is not very high and the chance of a professional thief taking an interest is nearly zero, so for those circumstances, a medium cable lock would be more than enough. Locking two bikes together makes them more or less impossible to move, but it's always better if you can run the cable around something immovable.

Parking your bike in London in the same place every day while you're at work is going to get it nicked sooner or later regardless of which locks you use, but the more locks you use, the longer it will take thieves to get through, so a lot of locks would probably make them prefer to look elsewhere. Here, the number of locks is probably more important than the absolute quality, through the harder they are to cut, the longer it will take and the more they're likely to be put off.

Parking outside the gym for an hour once a week is also high risk. The thieves sit in cars waiting for someone to park their bike. Once the owner has gone in, they jump out with bolt-croppers. In that case your lock only needs to resist bolt-croppers.

Basically, you need to consider the circumstances that you're likely to leave the bikes. In many cases, you can keep them more or less in sight, which will be better security than any lock.

I use my bikes for rides out visiting people, shopping and going to pubs. I see those as medium to low risk situations, so I've never used more than a cable roller lock. It will defeat all casual and opportunist thieves. It's not too heavy, not very expensive and very convenient to carry and use. Mine is no longer made. the nearest equivalent is the Squire Mako Plus 25/1200. You only need one for two bikes because it's long enough to go through two frames and round a lamppost or whatever.

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
Hi Geoff
I think the 806 is one of the best looking folders although I’ve never ridden one.
My sister has a Raleigh Stoweway folding ebike and uses a D lock (or U lock) to secure it folded to bike racks. It works well. I have a non folding ebike and use a Abus D lock which I’m very pleased with. I chose Abus after reading reviews on Amazon. They all get a similar spread of good and bad reviews so I looked at the reasons for the poorer reviews and eliminated those marked down for the things that would annoy me the most. For example having a lock that jammed would put me right off and Abus had less complaints for that.
May be best to try out for size at the dealers with their demonstrator, and also for where to store the chosen lock on the bike. My sisters looks really ugly attached to the down tube although very functional.
I would also suggest getting a chain and padlock for those times when the only object to secure to is a larger size than the D lock can fit around.