Help! London dlr and jubilee line non foldable

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
Has anyone with a non foldable electric ebike conversion kit used the dlr or the jubilee line or any other line without someone saying "you can't use the this transport please get out"? Because I'm wondering let's say one day I really need to use the train can I get on the train without being stopped or how does this work also could someone recommend me some heavy duty anti pick lock chain that would make thief's think twice before touching my bike

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
If you want to know what the rules are for the tube or bus or train, its probably best you phone the Transport of London who own/run the underground. I think first bus group run the buses, but i know straight off they wont take non folding bikes, and possibly not the ones which fold in half but are still pretty big. Maybe only the brompton type size.
Most rains have somewhere you can take or leave the bike, but it will depend on how busy, and if its buy and you use it with a big bike, you will attract aggressive annoyed people.

There are many strong locks, Abus Granit, Kryptoite new york etc etc, all are pick proof, at least to the extent you'd need a lot of time, experience and be able to work unobserved, but none are cordless grinder proof.
So it kind of also depends where you lock it, and down some dark unlit street or little trafficked area then thats bound to attract thieves.
One thing is sure, you arent going to get a strong lock for £9.99 . So be prepared to invest to a certain level to get something that cant be snapped off, or quickly chewed through with a pair of cable cutters

The best thing you can do is to be insured, and to safeguard actually getting it replaced or a payout is to get a lock that is gold rated by sold secure.
Most if not all insurance companies say they want the lock you use to be gold rated by this testing company. So more than anything,more than any lock, being insured is the surefire way to go to protect your investment.

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Reading between your various threads here...

You're 5'8" tall, with an oversize Scott XL framed 29" wheeled bike, with a BBSHD 1000 watt motor... and you're thinking of taking this on the Docklands Light Railway and Jubilee Tube? Even if it were allowed, how are you going to manhandle it up and down the many, many stairs? That's an awfully big and heavy bike to manhandle, especially in crowds.

As someone with a "small" 17kg folding ebike who does travel across London using both normal trains and the tube, it's something I wouldn't even consider. A folding ebike is enough of a liability even in quieter travelling times, and the rules as to what you're allowed to do with any bike on any public transport are a nightmare - you need to check each operator you're hoping to use for their own conditions of carriage as they are all different.