London protest

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
'We believe that we need a separate, segregated modern cycle network that is at least two metres wide. We can do that in London, there is plenty of space to do it.'
If you don't care about other road users then yes but really no.

I didn't go as I feel really extremist anti motorist types are hijacking stuff to push agendas they had prior to the deaths. Critical Mass I'm always on the ropes about for that same reason, sustrans people overall seem to be ok and want to share the roads but they don't have much in the way of events.

Unsure what it will take but the tfl response that they are directing traffic away from bad junctions with routes around is really lots more evident, when cycling last week I noticed even more signs to show the routes around elephant and castle and still noticed cyclists ignoring the routes. If cyclists are insitant to not use the safer routes made by tfl then what can they do apart from modify every single road to make london hell for all other modes of transport.

The modifications seem to be mirrors mounted onto traffic lights and signposts as I have seen a few of them appear, not sure how they will help as previously said by others with not being able to look at mirrors and turn but I guess you can never have too many mirrors.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At least that street mirror will cover the area just under and ahead of any truck side mirror, removing one of the worst blind spots for truck drivers.

But it won't help with the fast riders who fly up the inside at the last minute just as a trucker is about to turn, looking ahead into the turn.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
At least that street mirror will cover the area just under and ahead of any truck side mirror, removing one of the worst blind spots for truck drivers.

But it won't help with the fast riders who fly up the inside at the last minute just as a trucker is about to turn, looking ahead into the turn.
This is the crucial point. I have seen some lorries with signs on the rear nearside warning cyclists, but looking at the London videos of cyclists, it seems that some are absolutely boneheaded and in a huge rush.
Perhaps in the end it is a matter of Darwinism? (i.e. only the prudent cyclists will survive to pass on their genes)

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Remember years ago a joke where the back of the lorry had two signs.
On the right it said 'Passing side'
On the left, 'Suicide'

Advertisers