long brake cables

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I need a new brake cable inner for my back brake, does anyone with experience know if standard cables from the LBS are usually long enough for bikes with the battery behind the seat or if they are a bit stingy with the length supplied?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
They are and you could get a gear cable, which would be longer...

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
I just buy tandem cables for my xtra-cycle cargo bike. I don't think there much dearer and too long is better than too short. :)
(crossed with Catsnapper's post)

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Thanks chaps, I'll look for a tandem one. I can't take the old one with me as I want to keep using it until I replace it, it has frayed so I'd never get it in again.

D

Deleted member 4366

Save your money. Go to Wilkinsons. They have them for about 99p -very long ones.

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
.......and when you cut them to shorten them, make sure you have a good pair of cable snippers (worth the expense) or you will fray the cable end even before using it

cheers barryc.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I found a spare cable in my toolkit, it came in a Lid bike spares box. I offered it up and it was about the right length so I bit the bullet and cut the old one off, slid the new one in and there was about 5cm to spare. I measured the cable and found it was about 170cm so the standard ones should fit ebikes fine.
I’ve got a good cable cutter so when my new pads arrive I can use the old rear cable to replace the front frayed one.

I’ve tried organic pads and semi-sintered, now I’m going for cheap Kevlar pads which are meant to be the best of both worlds.

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't forget to go to Wilkos and get some spares. they're so cheap that you can buy a load for that rainy day when you'll need them.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
I remember when I had this problem, I bought one in Wilkinson, but it actually wasn't long enough. I also wrecked the cable when I tried cutting the end off. Local bike shop had the cable and did it straight away.