Long distance commute bike

jarjar03

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 8, 2020
Hi folks,
Just joined the community and would like to ask for some advice / recommendations for a bike for a long-ish commute of 70-75 miles round trip.

I was looking at the Raleigh Array, which seems suitable with its removable battery and relatively long range (Assuming a charge or a spare is carried). I also had a look at the Van Moof, but it feels expensive and that matches what you kind folks are saying about it. Overall, I think I’ll stick to something in the Raleigh range (or similar), likely the Array or the Motus.

I’m buying using Cyclescheme and my budget for bike + accessories (helmet, gloves, lock etc.) is preferably no more than £2k.

If it helps, I’m male, 5ft5-5ft6, and just under 80kg.

Thanks!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would have recommended to you the Woosh Faro wih 17AH battery for your project but it's out of stock until October.
It can do 70 miles from a full charge at your weight.

Reactions: jarjar03

jarjar03

Jul 8, 2020
I would have recommended to you the Woosh Faro wih 17AH battery for your project but it's out of stock until October.
It can do 70 miles from a full charge at your weight.
Thanks Woosh. I’d somewhat like to have one in the next few weeks (eg: early August) so I can take advantage of what remains of summer weather. I’ll definitely keep you in mind for the future though.

I’ve done some more research and I think I’m somewhere in between:

Raleigh Array (not likely)
Raleigh Motus Tour
Volt Pulse either standard or X-Large battery (can someone confirm if the Volt battery is removable?)
Raleigh Motus Grand Tour

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the Volt Pulse battery is removable.
All external and semi in frame batteries are removable and supplied with lock and keys.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I'd recommend a bike with a rear hub-motor for commuting. They're generally more reliable, running costs are lower and they give a more relaxing ride. Some people seem to have done alright with bikes with Bosch Active line motors, but others have had to do fairly substantial repairs at around 2000 miles.

Have a look at Andy Bluenoes's review of the Oxygen S-cross. He did something similar to what you want. He liked it so much, he bought another one. Make sure it's his first review because he's done both. You can get Oxygens from E-bikesdirect.

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
Hi folks,
Just joined the community and would like to ask for some advice / recommendations for a bike for a long-ish commute of 70-75 miles round trip.

I was looking at the Raleigh Array, which seems suitable with its removable battery and relatively long range (Assuming a charge or a spare is carried). I also had a look at the Van Moof, but it feels expensive and that matches what you kind folks are saying about it. Overall, I think I’ll stick to something in the Raleigh range (or similar), likely the Array or the Motus.

I’m buying using Cyclescheme and my budget for bike + accessories (helmet, gloves, lock etc.) is preferably no more than £2k.

If it helps, I’m male, 5ft5-5ft6, and just under 80kg.

Thanks!
Please bear in mind the UK legal speed assistance is 15.5mph. I find on long rides the best and easiest speed to maintain is somewhere between 14 to 16 mph. Although your average speed is greatly improved with an eBike you are looking at possibly a 2 and a half to 3 hour commute one way. Just my observation from your requirements. Please keep us updated. Cheers.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I think a 70 to 75 mile regular round trip commute is too far, but I guess that depends on the fitness and motivation of the person involved.

If you do decide to try we would all love to hear your exploits.

I think a de restricted rear hub Oxygen sounds a good bet.

Pedelec member 28Spokes used a de restricted 2019 Giant Road-E+1 to commute 40 miles round trip to work in what he described as quite hilly countryside in less than an hour each way, so 35 miles at his average speed would take about 1hr and 45 minutes. However he used 65% to 80% of his battery meaning he would run out at that speed at around 25 to 30 miles were he to have kept going.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/giant-road-e-1-dongle.25287/

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
deliveroos do this sort of mileage every day. Strangely enough, my best bikes for them statistically is 1. fatboy 2.zephyr-b 3. Karoo. Totally unexpected if you just look at their requirements hypothetically. I guess some deliver foods, others small parcels.

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
I agree about deliveroo riders, and they probably do it mainly on non electric bikes BUT that is there employment not their commute plus it probably takes them all day. The OP presumably puts a shift in between the 70/75 miles :eek:

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I'd recommend a bike with a rear hub-motor for commuting. They're generally more reliable, running costs are lower and they give a more relaxing ride. Some people seem to have done alright with bikes with Bosch Active line motors, but others have had to do fairly substantial repairs at around 2000 miles.
Been using a Carrera Crossfuse for the last 18 months with a Bosch Activeline Plus motor and done 2000 miles around the Peak District with no problems, usually do about 20miles with 800m of elevation and it uses 2 bars out of 5 on the battery.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
@jarjar03 I salute you for considering a commute like that, you're a positive role-model to all of us. It's only by pushing the boundaries of convention that progress is made.

And to all the naysayers out there, the words of Confucius seem appropriate:

"The man who says that it cannot be done should not interrupt the man who is doing it"

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Putting in 7 - 10hr shift in between a 70 odd mile return commute will be some day let alone 4 or 5 days a week, may be nice on mild days but all year round come rain or shine ?

Maybe Kirstin can add his penneth worth as he commutes all year round but nowhere near that mileage I believe.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
@jarjar03 I salute you for considering a commute like that, you're a positive role-model to all of us. It's only by pushing the boundaries of convention that progress is made.

And to all the naysayers out there, the words of Confucius seem appropriate:

"The man who says that it cannot be done should not interrupt the man who is doing it"
Or as the great Stan Lee once wrote:
"They said it couldn't be done, so we didn't do it!"

Reactions: atheo

jarjar03

Jul 8, 2020
Putting in 7 - 10hr shift in between a 70 odd mile return commute will be some day let alone 4 or 5 days a week, may be nice on mild days but all year round come rain or shine ?

Maybe Kirstin can add his penneth worth as he commutes all year round but nowhere near that mileage I believe.
I appreciate the praise from folks, but I probably should’ve mentioned:

- I likely don’t intend to cycle in rain/snow, so probably just fair weather days
- I’ll be looking to avoid cycling at night (even as a driver, the way people drive at night is baffling)

So all in, I’d be cycling to/from work 50% of the year given the weather in the UK :)

The full day shift between cycling at the start and end is not much of a showstopper, but I’ll have to see how I get on with exercise at both ends of my day. In non-covid times I tend to leave the house 5, get to the office on the train by 6, gym for 1.5-2 hours and then work until 6:30.

jarjar03

Jul 8, 2020
Are there benefits to buying from a local shop (eg: evanscycles is my nearest) vs an online one? Thinking about maintenance and resolving any issues that might arise.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Are there benefits to buying from a local shop (eg: evanscycles is my nearest) vs an online one? Thinking about maintenance and resolving any issues that might arise.
In my mind there are three benefits:

a) You can probably get a test ride and try it for size and "feel".

b) Returns are much easier.

c) (much bigger picture issue here) If we don't keep physical shops in business with our cash then they won't survive and we'll end up buying everything online from China...

• Agree
Reactions: TedG

jarjar03

Jul 8, 2020
In my mind there are three benefits:

a) You can probably get a test ride and try it for size and "feel".

b) Returns are much easier.

c) (much bigger picture issue here) If we don't keep physical shops in business with our cash then they won't survive and we'll end up buying everything online from China...
Thanks, I agree with what you’re saying. Regarding testing, I went to Evanscycles yesterday to try an Array for size and feel. They said they wouldn’t let me test it for now due to the virus, which is unfortunate. Is there any workaround to this or do I need to find another shop that would let me test it up and down the street?

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Thanks, I agree with what you’re saying. Regarding testing, I went to Evanscycles yesterday to try an Array for size and feel. They said they wouldn’t let me test it for now due to the virus, which is unfortunate. Is there any workaround to this or do I need to find another shop that would let me test it up and down the street?
That seems overzealous to me. You can walk into Tesco and touch a 50p tin of beans then choose not to buy it, why not a £2k bike?! Especially considering they could quite conceivably put it back into stock for 72 hours and the virus would die anyway.

There isn't an obvious covid statement on their website advising any policy so I wonder if that particular shop is just being a bit silly...

Maybe contact their customer relations department for some guidance. Offer to bring your own mask, gloves etc like you would if you were taking a car for a test drive...