Long range speed pedelec?

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
I haven't even bought my first bike yet! I'm looking at well, where I want to live in the future. Stalybridge is between Leeds, Manchester , and even Sheffield, not that I'm fussed about working in Sheffield

Then I'd probably need a road legal speed pedelec e-bike that takes me to Leeds, and back given the distance. People may charge their batteries at work, however my issue is that some organisations won't let you because your battery isn't PAT tested

I'd be looking into both foldable (into a car boot) and non foldable options ie: so I have two options then

I'd probably look at that in 2-3 years time given I'm just starting a new job in Ben Rhydding in a few days...

Last edited:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Not even in a speed pedelec? Where it gets you up to 28Mph?
Yes. That's a top speed not an average constant speed over 80 miles

Even if you managed 20mph average (you won't) that's 4 hours a day in the saddle. And it really won't be. It will be over 5 hours a day. Oh and kitting up, showering etc.

2.5 hours each way commute on a train is bad enough folk work, sleep, eat, rest. You will be excerising for that time then working in the middle

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and anonymous

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi,

It looks like it's an 80 mile round trip. I thought the speed pedelecs get up to 28Mph?

Thanks
That's not going to work. In my prime, I was a hardened motorcyclist doing 40,000 miles a year in all weathers on a motorbike and commuting 35 miles each way. In the winter, that commute wasn't very pleasant.

Speed pedelecs can reach 28 mph in the right conditions, but your cruising speed will be closer to 22 mph, and your average, maybe 18mph. That's just too slow.

15 miles is about what an average person can manage, and those with a strong constitution and some experience can do 25 miles. You have no chance. Your backside will be burning before you even reach halfway.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc and anonymous

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The battery won't need to be PAT tested, but the charger will. You can usually get an individual item tested for around £10, but takes a little looking around for a place that does it. You can have two batteries, but that is heavy and expensive.

Reactions: anonymous

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
The battery won't need to be PAT tested, but the charger will. You can usually get an individual item tested for around £10, but takes a little looking around for a place that does it. You can have two batteries, but that is heavy and expensive.
I don't care too much about the expense, if it's say £300-£500 or so but not sure what the extra weight would be?

Also, thanks. I guess the other issue is that some workplaces won't even allow that! And may not have enough ports available. I can't imagine attaching the into an extension lead is the safest thing to do

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I don't care too much about the expense, if it's say £300-£500 or so but not sure what the extra weight would be?
It's not really practical to carry a spare battery unless it's a small one like Gtech. A Wisper with a 700wh battery will get you easily 40 miles at 20 mph. How far do you want to go?

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
It's not really practical to carry a spare battery unless it's a small one like Gtech. A Wisper with a 700wh battery will get you easily 40 miles at 20 mph. How far do you want to go?
Hi,

It looks like it's an 80 mile round trip. I thought the speed pedelecs get up to 28Mph?

Thanks

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
Hi,

Thanks
Speed pedelecs can achieve 28mph but you are then wondering into an area that requires it to be registered, unable to be ridden on cycle paths and tow paths and requires a motorcycle style helmet to be worn as well insurance to sort. Although it is not illegal to sell Speds to use them legally is a whole diffrent game. If you have a car licence maybe a 50cc scooter/moped would be a more suitable option given the distance you wish to cover. Keep us updated.

Deus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2014
Dewsbury
All electric bikes with motors rated more powerful than 250W are required to display a tax disc, with insurance mandatory and with the vehicle registered. It needs to display a number plate and carry an MOT certificate. Any rider of such a vehicle must hold a current driving licence and keep to the laws appertaining to mopeds. Anyone found riding an electric bike with a motor more powerful than 250W rated power without the correct documentation is liable to be prosecuted by the police. The rider will be open for prosecution for driving without a licence, driving without insurance, driving an unlicensed vehicle etc. If the person riding such a vehicle has a current driving licence and is prosecuted, they will receive penalty points and may even be banned from driving any motor vehicle

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
Speed pedelecs can achieve 28mph but you are then wondering into an area that requires it to be registered, unable to be ridden on cycle paths and tow paths and requires a motorcycle style helmet to be worn as well insurance to sort. Although it is not illegal to sell Speds to use them legally is a whole diffrent game. If you have a car licence maybe a 50cc scooter/moped would be a more suitable option given the distance you wish to cover. Keep us updated.
Sure. I understand that you'll be bound by more constraints however I'm not mega fussed because tbh my main reason for wanting a speed pedelec is for efficient exercising ie: commuting AND exercising. I'd finish my daily routine earlier then

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
All electric bikes with motors rated more powerful than 250W are required to display a tax disc, with insurance mandatory and with the vehicle registered. It needs to display a number plate and carry an MOT certificate. Any rider of such a vehicle must hold a current driving licence and keep to the laws appertaining to mopeds. Anyone found riding an electric bike with a motor more powerful than 250W rated power without the correct documentation is liable to be prosecuted by the police. The rider will be open for prosecution for driving without a licence, driving without insurance, driving an unlicensed vehicle etc. If the person riding such a vehicle has a current driving licence and is prosecuted, they will receive penalty points and may even be banned from driving any motor vehicle
Sure. I understand I'd have to have a CBT licence, insurance, MOT etc.. The extra legal hoops aren't an issue. I'd also want to insure my bike anyway given the cost

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
you dont need a sclass bike a dongle will do the job of removing the speed limit and easy to remove in seconds.

the police will do nothing unless you kill someone or your going so fast it is not possible with leg power alone like 50-60mph.
Sure, but then that affects the range on my current bike. I don't mind paying extra for something that's actually built as a speed pedelec from the ground up, instead of "hacking" it

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi,

Thanks
Woah there! 80 mile round trip commute on an ebike?!

Nope, never gonna happen. That's utterly impractical on many levels. Show me a months worth of solid GPS/strava data that you have done this and I'll eat my hat. On video. I'll even you give 5 working days off.

So 15 working days of an 80mile round trip commute by ebike within a calendar month.
Deadline April 1st

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019

Nope, never gonna happen. That's utterly impractical on many levels. Show me a months worth of solid GPS/strava data that you have done this and I'll eat my hat. On video. I'll even you give 5 working days off.

So 15 working days of an 80mile round trip commute by ebike within a calendar month.
Deadline April 1st
Not even in a speed pedelec? Where it gets you up to 28Mph?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the motors are all the same the only difference is the speed limit in the software that the dongle bypasses the limit in the usa is 20mph.

using a dongle wont harm the motor but will half the range but you might need bigger brakes and rotors i run 203mm front and rear.

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
Yes. That's a top speed not an average constant speed over 80 miles

Even if you managed 20mph average (you won't) that's 4 hours a day in the saddle. And it really won't be. It will be over 5 hours a day. Oh and kitting up, showering etc.

2.5 hours each way commute on a train is bad enough folk work, sleep, eat, rest. You will be excerising for that time then working in the middle
Huh. So you'd be better off buying a scooter, and get up to 70Mph, and then exercising later?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
On the pat test thing. I've worked for 5 large employers and a couple medium ones. Somewhere in a buried policy on the intranet is something about you can't use any of your gear unless pat tested. Then there is the reality Zof 500 to 2000 people charging their person phones, tablets, gizmos.....

This isn't really much of an issue. And if it is ask them to test and pay. Where are their green credentials if they are hindering folk commuting by ebike?!

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009

Deadline April 1st
I know someone who does a 70 mile round trip to work on a normal bike, but he doesn't do it every day. I also know someone who does a 35 mile commute every day on a normal bike and has clocked up over 11,000 miles so far this year.

Having said that 400 miles on an S-pedelec is a big ask.