Long range speed pedelec?

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
Can you afford 11000 Euros? why not buy a Zero electric motorbike in the UK they cost £10,000 my m8s does around 80 miles to the charge and does 90 MPH but to be sure you would need to maybe top up at work (kettle Lead)
Yup. I could afford it, and it's fairly easy to justify to myself. I just thought I could get exercise too!

This being said, I'm thinking long term if anything. I wouldn't go out and spend 11K on a first motorbike. I'd want something super cheap first, given that it's better to have a few scrapes on a cheap bike than an expensive bike

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
Can you afford 11000 Euros? why not buy a Zero electric motorbike in the UK they cost £10,000 my m8s does around 80 miles to the charge and does 90 MPH but to be sure you would need to maybe top up at work (kettle Lead)
I have a mate with a very expensive electric BMW scooter. Range and top speed definitely reduced in cold weather.

Reactions: flecc and KirstinS

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
Thats an intersting point and something anecdotally reported on this forum with Ebikes too
With a scooter I guess you can't recharge and store in the warm so easily so it seems worse perhaps?
It isn't just an anecdotal thing tbh

All batteries suffer in the cold

• Agree
Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
It isn't just an anecdotal thing tbh

All batteries suffer in the cold
Yes, worse still, AFAIK, is charging them when cold. It's one thing to use a charged battery from cold and another to charge a battery when cold

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'd want something super cheap first, given that it's better to have a few scrapes on a cheap bike than an expensive bike
Dangerous thinking perhaps? The first scrape on a powered two wheeler is all too often the last one ever.

Safest is to buy something so expensive that you take great care never to damage it, and yourself in consequence.

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
Dangerous thinking perhaps? The first scrape on a powered two wheeler is all too often the last one ever.

Safest is to buy something so expensive that you take great care never to damage it, and yourself in consequence.
I get that thinking. When I bought my first car, I bought a cheap one. Six months later as I become more confident, I bought a car that cost around 5 times the amount of my first one

Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Agree with that which has been said average s- ped speed will be 18 - 20 mph, you would need to be a tdf rider to maintain 28 constant.
A few years back I took my brothers Kalkhoff on a 10 mile local circuit and managed 33mph but boy I found it hard work to maintain for any real length of time.
He still rides it and a dongled E6000 drive bike a couple times a week for his 40 mile odd return commute and averages about 20mph.

Reactions: anonymous