looking at conversion kits from China

bayrider

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2013
DEVON
Has any one on here purchased or been able to purchase as an individual a conversion kit from China / Asia if so what charges have you occurred?

Myself been looking at the following spec front wheel hub 250-500w Bafang or MXUS with a bottle battery 36v 10ah Li-Ion kit price range 300/400 USD any suggestions or advice and most importantly information on duty - vat and handling charges ect or any thing else I need to know, thank you in advance

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Has any one on here purchased or been able to purchase as an individual a conversion kit from China / Asia .....

I have used BMS battery a couple of times, although never for a full kit. Biggest order was for a 20ah battery and some bits n bobs.
Can't remember exact numbers, but order value was aprox £200 inc. delivery, and I was charged about £25 quid extra by DHL to cover import charges.

I had a similar experience when importing from the USA.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Has any one on here purchased or been able to purchase as an individual a conversion kit from China / Asia if so what charges have you occurred?

Myself been looking at the following spec front wheel hub 250-500w Bafang or MXUS with a bottle battery 36v 10ah Li-Ion kit price range 300/400 USD any suggestions or advice and most importantly information on duty - vat and handling charges ect or any thing else I need to know, thank you in advance
I buy regularly from China. You'll find the Chinese very honourable to deal with.

For bike bits you'll be charged 20% vat plus a handling/admin charge by the courier. This will be typically £10 to £20. You won't be charged duty on top of that unless you buy a complete bike.

The charge is levied upon the declared value. If the seller supplies a dummy invoice with the goods for a lesser but still credible value you'll be charged upon that. If its a daft value they'll assess the value themselves.

Today you will not be able to avoid charges (and its probably right that you can't

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
.... And my last order from BMS a couple of weeks ago which was for £200 worth of goods attracted charges of £51.