Looking at whisper and volt

Markmi

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 10, 2019
I am looking at both the whisper and volt folding bikes has anyone got any experience of these models and know any advantages/ disadvantages to either ?

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I have had a Wisper 905 for nearly 2 years now and it has been excellent, the bike has been ridden all over the Peak District and never let me down with the performance as good now as when I got it. If I was buying one today the only thing that would make me hesitate on a 905 would be the new Wisper that is due. Steve W.......

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

al.b

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2018
lancashire
I have a 806 torque for over 2 years now. Folds down a treat, very quiet and pretty powerful and reliable. Only 1 fault in the 2 years.Its been ridden i many places including Cornwall.Its still pretty heavy mind even folded but manageable, as always after sales service is important I believe. The battery is reliable and even after 4 years of intermittent use is still good. Just one criticism in general and it may seem trivial but it would be nice to supply touch up paint pot as you can imagine by its nature it will get scratched as you fold and open. It is also allow step through. Can't say much about Volt no personal experience Good luck.

Markmi

Jul 10, 2019
I have a 806 torque for over 2 years now. Folds down a treat, very quiet and pretty powerful and reliable. Only 1 fault in the 2 years.Its been ridden i many places including Cornwall.Its still pretty heavy mind even folded but manageable, as always after sales service is important I believe. The battery is reliable and even after 4 years of intermittent use is still good. Just one criticism in general and it may seem trivial but it would be nice to supply touch up paint pot as you can imagine by its nature it will get scratched as you fold and open. It is also allow step through. Can't say much about Volt no personal experience Good luck.
Thanks for the info, how does the bike ride on tracks and trails ?

al.b

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2018
lancashire
Thanks for the info, how does the bike ride on tracks and trails ?
Its no mountain bike, but I use it predominantly off road(main roads scare me) on cycle trails, unused railway tracks and some hilly parts of Cornwall and Lancashire. It seemed to be pitched at urban use but I am retired but find it useful as I always have it folded down in the boot of my car If I find a suitable ride out it comes. Considering the size of the wheels you would think it not geared up, but you would be wrong. Im sure your local dealer will oblige with a test ride. Check the ride on utube 806

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Alb, let me know the colour, I’ll get some touch up paint to you. Private message me with you address.

All the best, David

Markmi

Jul 10, 2019
Its no mountain bike, but I use it predominantly off road(main roads scare me) on cycle trails, unused railway tracks and some hilly parts of Cornwall and Lancashire. It seemed to be pitched at urban use but I am retired but find it useful as I always have it folded down in the boot of my car If I find a suitable ride out it comes. Considering the size of the wheels you would think it not geared up, but you would be wrong. Im sure your local dealer will oblige with a test ride. Check the ride on utube 806

Thanks for the info seems a good bike, is the ride not to shakey on tracks and trails I ride 20inch bike on a grass track and found it so shakey

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Thanks for the info seems a good bike, is the ride not to shakey on tracks and trails I ride 20inch bike on a grass track and found it so shakey
small bikes and esp wheels are unstable at any sort of speed ;)

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Any rigid frame small wheel bike is bouncy/uncomfortable off road and the 806 seems quite rigid. A suspension seat post like the Suntour NCX is desirable. Just wish real sus forks were available in 20in. Mmm, wonder what headset size/type does the 806 have ? Wider tyres might help, if they fitted?
Cheers, Mikel

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The tyres are 1.95” so quite big. Larger sizes would foul the mudguards. Run at the recommended max of 60psi the tide is quite hard but range is excellent. For a softer ride you can reduce pressure to as low as 40psi.

Markmi

Jul 10, 2019
Which battery option do you have and what sort of range do you get from it ?

al.b

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2018
lancashire
Which battery option do you have and what sort of range do you get from it ?
I have the 575 wh version although its nearly 3-4 years old still manages to do app 30miles and I am big boy so no complaints, but it also depends on what level assist you choose when riding! However the battery needs to be looked after and this particular one allows it to be put to sleep during long no use situations. I am dreading replacing this as it isn't cheap and that goes for any ebike battery. When you think of the replacement cost, and in the case of whisper is £500 so decide on your usage, app distance to travel, and leisure or travel to work?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It is cheaper to get battery cases recelled (approx. 40%) and use the existing BMS then buying a new battery altogether, Jimmy for instance at ebikebatteries.co .is kept busy using this route.