Looking for a weekend trekking ebike - what about an Ortler?

Lumo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 10, 2020
Hello all,

I found this forum when looking for ebike discussions online. Various family members have recently bought ebikes and now I am thinking of one.

I commute to work each day, it's only 5km each way and mostly flat bike paths which are enjoyable to ride on. On the weekends I like to go further and explore the countryside (I am in south-central Germany), which around here almost always means at some point on the trip there will be hill climbing or more boring stretches through towns with lots of start-stops. This puts me off going as it takes the fun out of the ride and so I am thinking of an ebike to give some assistance through the dull parts. I'm 6'4 so it has to be a reasonably large frame, I would seldom go completely off road and tracks, but would like a decent enough battery to not be worried all the way outbound that there wouldn't be enough left on the return home. Budget is 2000 euro.

Bikes I am thinking of are:

Prophete ENTDECKER 20.ETT.30 Trekkingrad - 28 inch, 55 cm frame, 576 Wh battery, middrive

Cube Touring Hybrid ONE 500 - 28 inch 62cm frame, 500wh, middrive

Ortler Montana - 28inch, 60cm, 500wh, middrive.

All are currently within my budget and have a 500+ wh battery. On the specs, the Ortler perhaps seems better (Shimano steps motor) yet the cube and Prophete (at least here) are more common names. For example the Prophete and cube are available on several websites whereas the Ortler is the same site over and over again which seemed a bit of a red flag. However the components seem good and they offer to ship it to a LBS 'partner'for fit adjustments.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these options? Or alternative suggestions?

Thanks

Lumo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 10, 2020
Well I decided to get the Cube Touring Hybrid ONE 500.

So far I have only been on a 20km scenic route that had gentle inclines (a route I do on a normal bike) but my first impressions on that route are that the ebike is fantastic. It was smooth and responsive, while the difference in the power levels is very noticeable, the way in which the power is applied is quite subtle (no sudden on-off feelings). On my way back home, for the last part of the route through the town and up a short hill, it was great to put it in sport mode and gently cruise along and 25km/h. The non-ebike parts of the bike also seem very well made.

I have a longer trip in mind for the weekend, something that would be pushing the limit of what I would do on a normal bike, let's see how the ebike handles it.

davo77

Just Joined
Feb 19, 2020
Well I decided to get the Cube Touring Hybrid ONE 500.

So far I have only been on a 20km scenic route that had gentle inclines (a route I do on a normal bike) but my first impressions on that route are that the ebike is fantastic. It was smooth and responsive, while the difference in the power levels is very noticeable, the way in which the power is applied is quite subtle (no sudden on-off feelings). On my way back home, for the last part of the route through the town and up a short hill, it was great to put it in sport mode and gently cruise along and 25km/h. The non-ebike parts of the bike also seem very well made.

I have a longer trip in mind for the weekend, something that would be pushing the limit of what I would do on a normal bike, let's see how the ebike handles it.
Hi, i already have a cube acid hybrid 500 with the performance line motor and have just ordered a cube touring hybrid one 500 2021, the spec on website and dealer say it has an Active line motor but when doing a 360 spin picture on cubes website it clearly shows it with a Perfomance line motor ! If yours is a 2021 model can you please report on which one it has. many thanks.

davo77

Just Joined
Feb 19, 2020
I'm pretty sure it is not the 2020 model and it has the Active Line Plus
Has it got the Powertube battery ? As the 2021 models have. There are some other things wrong on spec list like tyres are listed as Big Ben but on photos they are Range Cruiser.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Has it got the Powertube battery ? As the 2021 models have. There are some other things wrong on spec list like tyres are listed as Big Ben but on photos they are Range Cruiser.
Stuff like tyres can depend on what the bike maker can get cheap at the time of the bike build.

You ought to get the model of battery and motor stated on the website.

But the 'specs may change' warning is there for a reason.