Looking for Daahub style micro throttle/cruise control for Cyclezee mk1 kit

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
I am looking for a Daahub style micro throttle switch to supplement the twist grip throttle on my Cyclezee kit. In an ideal world it would be like cruise control. I am happy with what I guess to be about 70% for cruising into wind or slightly up hill. On the flat or better I am happy providing my own power and still seem capable of between 18 -20 mph. The kit on my Trek 6000 has turned out a fairly light and manageable machine. Any ideas or would it mean a complex controller to handle this?

D

Deleted member 4366

Save yourself some money. Go down to Maplins and get a little 1" cube plastic potting box, a standard 10K linear potentiometer and a small two or three position switch for about a fiver. Then make it like this. It works perfectly: You set the speed on the pot and switch between normal throttle and cruise with the switch. You can see it zip-tied to my lh handlebar before I fitted the knob. I wouldn't have a bike without one.

and on my other one;

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cyclezee

Hi PJM,

For the Mk1 eZee kits, we have the EAF or eZee Assist Factor, which is a rotary dial that you use to vary the level of power delivery in Pedelec Mode.

It can be used to replace the throttle, price £17.50 including delivery.

P1060119.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
I would rather stay with the throttle and cruise control. Thanks to you both. I will have a look at D8veh's idea. A question for Cyclezee. Do I have to have the led display in circuit for the system to work. I have a tight fit getting it all on the bars and i think I would be happy enough relying on the battery test lights to see how much I have left.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Peter,

Sorry if sounds like I am being a 'jobsworth', but we do not recommend modification of the existing wiring as supplied, as it could have warranty implications.

Having said that, individuals are at liberty to make changes or improvements to suit their own personal requirements.

Is it not possible to mount the LED battery gauge in another location?

I did notice one of your photos in an earlier thread showed the gauge mounted upside down on the handlebars, or should I say, it is on top rather than underneath which is the normal position.

I guess you did that to try to increase the space on the bars.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Thanks. How stupid off me, I will reposition the display. I appreciate your advice on any adaptation at my risk. D8veh, if I used a three position switch how would I wire it to make the third position an 'off' switch. This might be useful as a safety feature. Any images of inside the pot box would be great.

D

Deleted member 4366

A three-position switch connects the right two pins when to the left, the left two pins when to the right, and none connected when in the middle, so you only have to wire it like in the schematic and this is how it works out: Left is cruise control (over-rides pedal sensor), middle is PAS only, right is normal throttle and PAS when no throttle applied, otherwise PAS.

C

Cyclezee

Thanks. How stupid off me, I will reposition the display. I appreciate your advice on any adaptation at my risk.
No not stupid Peter, I just hadn't seen anyone mount the gauge that way up before and didn't say anything earlier because I thought you might have a reason and prefer it that way;)

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Thanks. I have repositioned the right way up and now it's out of the way. Is the throttle in my Cyclezee kit just the three wires as in D8veh's diagram? D8veh, did you fill the box with sealant after you had soldered it all up and did you trim the pot spindle so the rotary knob was flush with the potting box. I bought the bits and just wanted to check. Do you see any potential risk in making the adaptation to the throttle on my kit, bearing in mind the comment on warranty.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Peter,

Yes just 3 wires in the throttle, I think you will find that they are red green and black.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
D8veh, if I have my kit set up as throttle only will the set up still work as set out in your schematic? I would like to know before I cut the throttle wire and give it a go.