Looking for ebike with electronic shifters and removable battery for easy charging

SLB2288

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 4, 2020
Hi all,
I am looking to spend between £1000-2000 on an Ebike,
I need electronic gear shifters on the ebike due to arthritis in my thumbs/hands
also need a removable battery so I don't have to take the whole bike into the house to charge it
mist be a mid hub/mid drive battery and preferably hydraulic brake discs
Preferably would like the bike to be able to last for 4 hours/50 miles

Can you recommend a website or correct terminology to search for when needing these items, most bike websites you cannot be that specific.
I have been looking at Rutland cycles as the have a generous trial period/return policy
Obviously with the coronavirus i am unable to test drive a bike.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: SLB2288

SLB2288

Apr 4, 2020
I'm looking for an actual bike rather than just the groupset, thanks though

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

you will have to buy a cheaper bike and then fit the electric groupset ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well it will work with the axs system but you wont get axs on a cheap bike and top end only.

SLB2288

Apr 4, 2020
no its already got sram electronic shirfters and bosch battery. its got everything i am looking for.
do you think it looks like a good bike to buy?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Maybe no need to fit a full groupset.
(I have not seen nor tried this; I was just interested and found it in a search).

D1x Trail with Micro-Adjust Remote

or a little cheaper direct from US

~~~~~~
Also x-shifter
but I'd be very doubtful about a kick starter promising delivery in March 2017.

~~~~~~~~~
p.s. I don't the Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 500 2020 has electronic shifters.

~~~~~~~~~~
p.p.s. If this IS any good you could couple it with one of Woosh's bikes (eg https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana-cd) with a big battery and still get a lot of change from £2000. If you asked nicely he might even fit it for you for a pretty small extra installation charge. They'd advise a suitable bike if you say what sort of riding you want to do.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it has
  • Rear Derailleur - Sram SX Eagle™, 12-Speed

thats the cheapest option you wont get axs on any bikes in this price range, not even double.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
google e-bikes with e-shift.
as SW said, you are looking at £4k+ bikes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
this one has Di2 e-shift in your budget:

It's an end of line bike though.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think it is SX eagle that is electronic, and that Cube bike has GX Eagle.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there are 2 versions of eagle 12spd, the most expensive option is axs version and top of the range and electric.

you might find a bike with di2 eshift in your price range.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
this one has Di2 e-shift in your budget:

It's an end of line bike though.
I think out of stock and very unlikely to reappear (like most good buys at ebikesdirect often seem to be)

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
Hi all,
I need electronic gear shifters on the ebike due to arthritis in my thumbs/hands
also need a removable battery so I don't have to take the whole bike into the house to charge it

Can you recommend a website or correct terminology to search for when needing these items, most bike websites you cannot be that specific.
I have been looking at Rutland cycles as the have a generous trial period/return policy
Hi all,

My Scott E Sub Speed has a Shimano Alfine Di2 8 speed electronic gear hub in the rear wheel. You toggle a switch to change up or down the gears a great help as I too have Rheumatoid Arthritis in my hands. You can program which gear you want to start peddling in and every time you come to a dead stop it changes to this gear. I must admit I was concerned only having 8 gears as my Specialized Stump Jumper has 29 ! My concerns were very short lived as I now find myself cruising along in 6th gear. My Scott also meets your criteria for mid drive, removable battery, hydraulic disc brakes and easily covers over 50 miles on a single charge. Please keep us updated on your search. Cheers.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that's a better bike compared to the Bergamont that I found for you.

SLB2288

Apr 4, 2020
My Scott E Sub Speed has a Shimono Alfine Di2 8 speed electronic gear hub in the rear wheel. You toggle a switch to change up or down the gears a great help as I too have Rheumatoid Arthritis in my hands. You can program which gear you want to start peddling in and every time you come to a dead stop it changes to this gear. I must admit I was concerned only having 8 gears as my Specialized Stump Jumper has 29 ! My concerns were very short lived as I now find myself cruising along in 6th gear. My Scott also meets your criteria for mid drive, removable battery, hydraulic disc brakes and easily covers over 50 miles on a single charge. Please keep us updated on your search. Cheers.
wow, very imformative, thank you!

Reactions: Muddyfox

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
That looks good. ridgeback is fine. Almost all brands use the same components; obviously lower end for cheaper models and higher end for expensive models, and pretty similar frames. There are lots of advantages to hub gears, but the gear range may be a little less than for a derailleur bike.

The 125km will be a very optimistic range; lowest assist, flat good roads. It may well not do 50 miles of real riding (***). The specs don't mention battery capacity which is odd. (probably 418wh?)

If anything does go wrong after guarantee any repairs or new batteries will be expensive.

(***) You didn't mention what sort of riding you wanted to do, how hilly, and whether you wanted lots of electric assist or just a boost to help you up hills. If you look at https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/ you will see how much range depends on many factors; the broad comparisons will be the same for Bosch or bikes with other motors. Choose the Bosch 400 battery for a pretty close idea of what you will get.

p.s. Cheaper from https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/ridgeback-electron-di2-2019-electric-bike
£1560, but only extra large?

Last edited:
Reactions: SLB2288

SLB2288

Apr 4, 2020
That looks good. ridgeback is fine. Almost all brands use the same components; obviously lower end for cheaper models and higher end for expensive models, and pretty similar frames. There are lots of advantages to hub gears, but the gear range may be a little less than for a derailleur bike.

The 125km will be a very optimistic range; lowest assist, flat good roads. It may well not do 50 miles of real riding (***). The specs don't mention battery capacity which is odd. (probably 418wh?)

If anything does go wrong after guarantee any repairs or new batteries will be expensive.

(***) You didn't mention what sort of riding you wanted to do, how hilly, and whether you wanted lots of electric assist or just a boost to help you up hills. If you look at https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/ you will see how much range depends on many factors; the broad comparisons will be the same for Bosch or bikes with other motors. Choose the Bosch 400 battery for a pretty close idea of what you will get.

p.s. Cheaper from https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/ridgeback-electron-di2-2019-electric-bike
£1560, but only extra large?
Mostly help up the hills, at the moment I have to get off the bike and push up the hill.
Mostly road but the occasional gravel path