looking for electric step through

flat stanley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 7, 2021
Hi ive been looking for a electric step through, has anyone heard of emu, they are front wheel drive, theres a basic model for about a grand and a upgrade thats £1200, 1300, from the internet, any thoughts on quality etc? A basic bike to get into e-bikes?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For a basic well equipped starter bike look at the Kudos Safari < £600 or they were.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you should buy as soon as possible because Chinese bikes will go up in price about 10% due to USD/RMB exchange rate and transitioning to 21700 cells.
Samsung will put up their battery prices next week.
Freight costs go also up 600% (six hundred percents!)
Covid causes huge disruptions.

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

you should buy as soon as possible because Chinese bikes will go up in price about 10% due to USD/RMB exchange rate and transitioning to 21700 cells.
Samsung will put up their battery prices next week.
Freight costs go also up 600% (six hundred percents!)
Covid causes huge disruptions.

So the good news is, battery packs can be smaller!

flat stanley

Mar 7, 2021
i had a little test ride on a emu step through at a local bike shop, got to say was fairly impressed, it seemed reasonably well built, it rode really well, and the front wheel power seemed ok to me, nice and easy to take the strain of my worn legs and hips. Would have bought it but i would really like something with bigger wheels, emu is 26", im after 28" wheels and am prepared to wait and see what the next few months brings. Think emu is good value for a grand. (dont forget i am a beginner at this electric bike lark)

Reactions: budsy

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
i had a little test ride on a emu step through at a local bike shop, got to say was fairly impressed, it seemed reasonably well built, it rode really well, and the front wheel power seemed ok to me, nice and easy to take the strain of my worn legs and hips. Would have bought it but i would really like something with bigger wheels, emu is 26", im after 28" wheels and am prepared to wait and see what the next few months brings. Think emu is good value for a grand. (dont forget i am a beginner at this electric bike lark)
Im a bit alike yourself dont know much on e bikes and never ever tried one out
have looked at one or two in a local store only ..Pricey yes too pricey i reckon are e bikes
as we all know ..

Ive been on non- ebike for yrs on and off now ..and been thinking on an e bike for around a year now and certainly aint in any rush :)

i just get put off as batterys are expensive to change when needed although last a while i know

but its mainly put off with the upkeep of e bikes ..as all i tend to read on here is problems with them

As for front wheel drive probs is fine and if you like it then why not purchase one
with spring and summer in front of us if like last yr then weather was all good mainly
and so nothing better than going a good run on a nice sunny warm day
and nothing better than in countryside just with slight warm breeze on your face
and taking in the sights and sounds of birds whistling :)

As for myself id be looking for a battery inside the tubing of the bike as like to know its covered up if we get rainfall ..plus i would want gearing inside the back hub of wheel of bike i get as its what i have had for past yrs now this with my non ebike and no problems with gearing as are inside the back hub dutch style as the dutch tend to do .. Why in the UK doesnt is beyond me ..as gearing inside the hub ive never had problems with and i just do not like them derailleur gear system ...id also like a rack on back of my bike as needy for my fishing gear and 2 x ortlieb panniers which would click onto rack at back
but again all to their own in bikes in what they go for .. Whatever way you go be it front wheel , back hub wheel or mid drive or whatever then all the best and hey maybe best to buy from the UK as im thinking as should be easier if any problems do occur > Plus for parts if in need in the future be a tad easier as we aint in the EU now remember .

flat stanley

Mar 7, 2021
hi , there, if you are looking for a electric bike, you should really go and try one out at a local store, if you are really intersested they will help you out, if there was not a shortage of bikes, and no covid restrictions i would go looking for a electric bike, hopefully supplys will get better and you will find what you are lokking for, im gonna wait and see. ta for your reply

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
hi , there, if you are looking for a electric bike, you should really go and try one out at a local store, if you are really intersested they will help you out, if there was not a shortage of bikes, and no covid restrictions i would go looking for a electric bike, hopefully supplys will get better and you will find what you are lokking for, im gonna wait and see. ta for your reply
Hi again , For my needs is to get me to fishing and i carry heavyish gear all in like chair , rod , reel , weights , flask tea , sandwiches etc in my twp ortlieb pannier bags either side of back wheel on the rack of bike ..And with weight of Ebikes mainly battery as they are heavy im maybe as well without an E Bike and just stay with bike i have normal bike and not an E Bike as such ..But if i was and i was contemplating for we while now id have bought locally from a UK store ..bcause if any thing is up with it then easier to take it in to where purchased after calling the store to let them know whats up ..But many ebikes parts are made from outwith UK like China and thing you have to find out is about the main parts of a bike if you can get parts incase of anything goes wrong .

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Hi again , For my needs is to get me to fishing and i carry heavyish gear all in like chair , rod , reel , weights , flask tea , sandwiches etc in my twp ortlieb pannier bags either side of back wheel on the rack of bike ..And with weight of Ebikes mainly battery as they are heavy im maybe as well without an E Bike and just stay with bike i have normal bike and not an E Bike as such ..But if i was and i was contemplating for we while now id have bought locally from a UK store ..bcause if any thing is up with it then easier to take it in to where purchased after calling the store to let them know whats up ..But many ebikes parts are made from outwith UK like China and thing you have to find out is about the main parts of a bike if you can get parts incase of anything goes wrong .

• :D
Reactions: Crockers and budsy

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
i had a little test ride on a emu step through at a local bike shop, got to say was fairly impressed, it seemed reasonably well built, it rode really well, and the front wheel power seemed ok to me, nice and easy to take the strain of my worn legs and hips.
Can I suggest it is all too easy to be "impressed" with an initial test ride of an e-bike, actually any e-bike and that is a danger. Trying a few I found them quite different and recommend resisting making a purchase till you have tried a few, with differing drive and control systems.

Much more challenging in these Covid restricted times and with depleted supplies, but that is the ideal.

Reactions: budsy

flat stanley

Mar 7, 2021
thank you for that advice, on reflection the best advice ive had since ive been looking for a electric bike, stand back and think for a few moments, you could also say he who hesitates is lost, im lost and confused, maybe gonna get my scooter out the shed, in 5 months time i get a free bus pass, might have had my 2nd vax by then. Thank you all for your time, your website is very informative, but ive got e-bikegrain, bye for now, flat stanley

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
@flat stanley ,

Hi ,

Would be good to keep us updated as to how you get along say with getting an e bike or not ?

Meanwhile stay safe and all the best for future , this be it riding an e bike or not :)

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
I had no intention to put you off altogether just point out the first time you try an e-bike I believe you can't help but be impressed, they are impressive just like you have someone else contributing to help move it.
If you inherently like cycling, and are getting a bus concession by age, then moving on to using an e-bike reinforces that interest; that starting reticent to get the bike out because of that wretched hill coming home melts out of the picture.
My comment was more that they differ in "nature", and I believe it is best to know which delights you the most for the type of use you are going to make of it.
I think very few of us have ever expressed misgiving in purchasing an e-bike, possibly some might with a bit more exposure to the options, have chosen differently than buying the first one they tried. Exchanging models early, hurts financially.
Enjoy whatever route you go.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Just seen these e bikes Emu Step through 2021

Id like to ask though would one of them take me up hilly areas with 2 x Ortlieb panniers being heavy either side of rack on back of bike ?

Last edited:

Daisychain

Just Joined
Apr 18, 2021
Hi. I'm looking for a step through as a small lady. Ideally a 17inch frame. I don't know how frame size
equates with wheel size. Do you?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
For regular frames smaller wheels are better for smaller frames; in particular to reduce the risk on catching your toe on the front wheel. More recent frame designs have much more variation, often with smaller wheels even on full size frames.

The other thing to watch for smaller riders is that the crank length should be shorter than on a bike for a 6 footer.

Liz

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
Hi. I'm looking for a step through as a small lady. Ideally a 17inch frame. I don't know how frame size
equates with wheel size. Do you?
Daisy, I am a small lady who used to be a very keen, quite serious, cyclist until age and other issues overtook me.
There is a far more limited range of sizes available in e-bikes than in 'proper' bikes and you might want to be looking at a step through with 24"wheels, which is certainly what I'd be doing if I didn't need a folder. As a shorty, you'll definitely want to be considering both your inside leg length (saddle to pedal) AND your reach - to the handlebars. A bike's no use if you can't both pedal and steer in comfort and simultaneously!
If you can try several bikes - and note accurate measurements - you will get a good idea of the sort of measurements you are looking for. The larger budget you have, the more likely you are to find something to suit. Alternatively, if I still had my old Isla bike (13" frame) I'd probably be buying a conversion kit, so if you already have a bike that fits you, you might want to look into that.
Hope that helps!