Help! Looking for experienced technician.

Phi Effect

Just Joined
May 8, 2019
Hello all, I've been trying to fix my bike for a while and I'm struggling. I'm looking for other users who don't mind physically looking at the bike and helping diagnose it. I don't mind travelling (I'm in Oxford / Rugby) and paying for their time either.

I've been trying to diagnose a problem with my Kit bike. Main motor wire got mangled when the wheel came out of it's mounting point on the bike. Now it runs juddery and cuts out after a few seconds. After initial research I suspected blown controller from when the wires got severed, but the new controller doesn't fix the issue, it changes it so that the throttle makes the wheel jerk a bit, but only when the wheel is in a certain position. That has me suspecting hall sensors?

If anyone can help or can point me in the direction of someone who might be up for helping me, I'd be so grateful. Or are there any good shops or services that do this sort of diagnosing and internal repairs on kit bikes? I've had a look online but most seem to service prebuilt and my local shop doesn't like working on kit bikes.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If hall sensor then error code should show on your lcd/display.
Likely is that the motor wire is damaged where it enters the axle and if not shorting and blowing the controller fets, probably has a broken wire that manifests as an intermittent break. Could be a phase or hall wire.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Main motor wire got mangled when the wheel came out of it's mounting point on the bike. Now it runs juddery and cuts out after a few seconds.
You said the above happened, the motor wire as it enters the hub is the likely culprit.

Phi Effect

Just Joined
May 8, 2019
Where are you based?
Im in Oxford, but I spend weekends in Rugby, so anywhere kinda near either of those I can travel to. Dan you are based near Bath? If you are willing to help I would happily travel down and be extremely grateful.

I may order the new wire loom (£8.50 from ebay for "500w" wires although mine in 1000w) as my rewiring job was pretty basic, although I did try to fix all the wires where they severed on the axle. But Dan I noticed you sell cables etc. through your shop and I would rather do that.

Last edited:

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I'm based in Westbury, about 15 miles from Bath. I'd be happy to help, but the distance could be a problem for you, logistically speaking.

Testing and troubleshooting is unlikely to take longer than 15 minutes, but if the issue turns out to be a faulty motor cable and requires replacement, I will be unable to do so 'while you wait'.

It might be worth finding someone more local to facilitate a repair, knowing I'd be happy to help in the event that you can't.

Dan

Phi Effect

Just Joined
May 8, 2019
I'm based in Westbury, about 15 miles from Bath. I'd be happy to help, but the distance could be a problem for you, logistically speaking.

Testing and troubleshooting is unlikely to take longer than 15 minutes, but if the issue turns out to be a faulty motor cable and requires replacement, I will be unable to do so 'while you wait'.

It might be worth finding someone more local to facilitate a repair, knowing I'd be happy to help in the event that you can't.

Dan
Dan, I would be more than happy to travel to you. I've been without the bike for about a year now and I really miss using it, plus I've made a few attempts at fixing it without success. I love DIY and researching problems to fix myself, but I'll admit when something has me stumped and when I need help diagnosing the problems. So traveling is not a problem, and I have a friend who lives in that area as well so it will be a good excuse to visit him.
If you can help with diagnosing the issue I will be extremely grateful, and if you can repair it you will be my saviour :D
Would you like me to contact you via the form on your website or your email?

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Dan, I would be more than happy to travel to you. I've been without the bike for about a year now and I really miss using it, plus I've made a few attempts at fixing it without success. I love DIY and researching problems to fix myself, but I'll admit when something has me stumped and when I need help diagnosing the problems. So traveling is not a problem, and I have a friend who lives in that area as well so it will be a good excuse to visit him.
If you can help with diagnosing the issue I will be extremely grateful, and if you can repair it you will be my saviour :D
Would you like me to contact you via the form on your website or your email?
Okay, send me a quick message using either of those methods and we'll work something out.

Advertisers