Looking for help on which bike to buy

whosjack

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 16, 2019
Hi All,

I've been going round and round in circles trying to decide which e-bike to get...I have a cheap crappy bike that I added an e-kit to a year ago, it goes about 30-40 miles on a charge and has a throttle, and I love it BUT it's too big, heavy and I can't get it into my flat easily and I would like to put it in the car so I can cycle in nicer places than London. I'm 52 female 5'2" and have a few health problems. The throttle is invaluable as I know I can get home if I get into difficulties.

So originally I thought I'd get a lighter smaller bike and get my existing kit put onto it but then thought a folding bike would be better, but I think a folding bike is harder to convert, so I thought get a proper electric bike. I like the look of the Raleigh Stow-E-Way but it doesn't have a throttle.

Any and all suggestions on the way to go would be much appreciated.

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Hi whosjack

I'm a similar age with similar problems

I have a crusa (which I love) but I really need something lighter weight

So I'll be watching with interest - I have a towbar rack with a ramp so I don't want a folding one - good luck

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if lightweight is the most important criteria, I suggest you get something like the Islabikes Janis, I can fit a Gospade mid drive kit and 13AH battery for you.
The total weight is about 15kgs and you still can get about 40-45 mile range from a full charge.

Reactions: Dewey

Headshok

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2018
Swindon
have you considered the Electric Brompton - comes in around 17KG - but no other bike folds so small and brompton kit is premium quality.

whosjack

May 16, 2019
Thanks for the replies! By reasoning so far...

Ready made electric bike versus Converted electric bike
PRO Ready made: A ready made bike is designed to be electric
PRO Ready made: A ready made is easier for me (non mechanically able)
CON Ready made: If something goes wrong I'm left with a very expensive bike that's not fit for purpose but with a converted bike at least I still have the bike
CON Ready made: Limited choice if I want a throttle
CON Converted: If something goes wrong who do I go back to the manufacturer of the parts or the person who fitted it
CON Converted: Overwhelmed over choices and hrader to convert an fold up bike

Folding versus Normal bike
CON normal: The cost of getting a tow bar fitted
PRO normal: Ride experience?
CON folding: wheel size
PRO folding: I can get it into my flat and into my car

I did think about a brompton but I don't like the size of the wheels nor the fact that the motor is in a bag in the front.

Headshok

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2018
Swindon
size of wheels ia predjudice thing - until you have tried one you shouldnt comment - the advantage of 16" wheels is folding size, easy acceleration, and the only downside would be if you tried to take one on a mountain bike track, but if you only ride on tarmac they are fine.

whosjack

May 16, 2019
Just got back from trying a Raleigh Stow-E-Way and a Brompton. Really didn't like the brompton (never mind the price). The Raleigh was sort of OK but folding it was quite challenging and then moving it once folded fairly impossible. Going back to the idea of a small lightweight bike and putting my kit on it. But still trying to find a test place for a Juicy Compact Click or Plus, a Wisper 806 and a Tern Vektron D8